Problem with Vip 211

mruk69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
Music City U.S.A
I ordered a Vip 211 from Dish Depot. Received it in 2 days. I plugged it in and it came up with message 061 vital information is been downloaded to your receiver. However, under message 061 it says boot recovery. It takes 10 minutes to complete the process after which it re-boots the receiver and does it all over again. I let the sucker stream for 4 hours and it kept doing the same thing.
Its now Saturday and Dish Depot is closed on the weekend so I can't contact them to arrange for a replacement.:(
The receiver isn't even trying to aquire a signal. I can't even access any of the menus by remote or the front panel buttons.

RandallA said:
Have you tried calling Dish Network Tech. Support? I would call them and see if the can get you going.
They can't do anything as the receiver is not communicating with the stream. It seems to be a Chip corruption problem.

I have 2 of the vip211's aswell and mine did the same thing.. It was go through 5 steps and recycle over and over. You need to call dish and have it activated to that reciever. Let me know how it turns out

did you do check sw before down load or no? 811 had same problem if you do check sw before down load it would re set it self after 2 min of down load

if you did check sw. un hook sat cable from back of the receiver do check sw again so it comes up with XXXX and then try down loading

according to dish you have to down load any receiver first then do check sw

Last edited:
does not sound like a defective unit because other people are telling him how to make it work. before declaring it defective, why not let him do what he should do:

unplug receiver and sat cable
replug receiver but not sat cable
run check switch to clear out the old setup
plug back in sat cable
allow software to download
call dish to activate
run check switch

It would be nice if Dish made that clear in their manual, since you usually need to do this for most receivers, but they don't.

if, and only if, that doesn't work, then it might be broken

Finally called Dish, he told me to un-plug the receiver and plug it back in after removing the OTA cable from the back and believe it or not it went into aquiring signal. I tried un-plugging and then plugging it back in about 10 times and didn't work so go figure.
But it is working now.
A few years ago after Dish launched Nashville Locals, dish had problems getting a re-tranmission agreement with one of the stations. So they reduced the locals price by a dollar until they reached an agreement and and installed a free OTA antenna. Well guess what that antenna picks up all the Digital local channels. I got to watch the football games and 24 in HD yesterday.:)
I am over the moon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts