Problems after big storm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dodgeman65690

Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
South Central Missouri
Everything was working very well and had many sats programmed in until we had a large lightning storm roll through. We had a very close strike by the house and now I,ve had to replace the SG2100 motor with a SG600 as the motor was acting funny. The Pansat 9200HD was hooked up at the time and the LNB was the QPH031. We also have a MERCURY ll which was not hooked up or plugged in at the time. Now to the problem. I can get a signal that pulses between 35 and 95 but there is no Quality showing. This is on either of the receivers. I,ve changed the LNB to the one I got with the Geosat Pro 90 dish and changed the switch for the LNB. I,m still getting the dish lined up again after replacing the motor, but cannot get a straight signal without the pulsing and no Quality at all. Any help would be appreciated.

If it was a nearby strike, and it was me, I'd prob switch out the lnbf to a known good one (that wasn't in use at the time) and the receiver that was turned off , work on getting the dish/motor aligned. At least that way you know you have a good chance of hitting the signals. And I always go out by the dish to do that, its easier. Then once aligned I'd go back to my previously working parts, one at a time. Put lnbf back on, see if it works with the merc, if so, then test the Panny.
If you have problems from the beginning, I'd suspect the coax could be damaged too. I had one that had to have been partially hit once--the braid on the coax looked almost like dust when I peeled the insulation back!

turbosat, Thanks for the reply. I did change the LNB out with a new one that came with my dish. The only thing that is not different is the cable, and you may be right on there. The signal pulses and never gets a Quality reading. I'll have to wait for Monday to get some new cable. Thanks again. Any more suggestions will be appreciated.
Does anyone know if the 40* angle on the SG6000 minus the declination for my position is correct for setting the dish. My elevation angle is 54 and with the declination of almost 6 the dish should be set at 34. Please let me know if this is correct. Thanks

When I hear of pulsing signals, or falling and rising signal meters the first thing I think of is water in the connectors, or cable. If you have the parts, it may be wise to cut the connector off out at the dish, cut the cable back a few inches and install another one. You can get a good visual inspection of the cable that way too. Moisture really can mess up things!

We had 5.5" of rain from the storm, so you may be right. I picked up some cable today and it is the triple shield, so it should get a pretty good signal through. I'll just go ahead and change it out as the new cable is much better than the one that is there now. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it works out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.