Problems Canceling Service. (Resolved)

Yeah, customer satisfaction is definitely not their strong suit...

Well, I happen to be a satisfied customer of Dish. So as far as I am concerned, it has been a strong suit of theirs despite what you might think, and I am betting there are a whole lot more here that would agree with me than would agree with your assessment...

If you call Dish Network to cancel your account, they will cancel your account.

When you call to cancel your account, its a given fact with any company they are going to put you on hold, and make you speak to 2 or 3 different representives who are going to try to save your account and usually make you a winback offer.

The only time you will not get a winback offer, is when you call in and make it seem like there is no way you will not accecpt an offer to stay.

I deal with alot of customers as a retailer, and the customers who have the same problem as your describing are the ones who have told a CSR that they want to cancel, and then hang up and think its done. First of all they need to verify they are actually speaking with the account holder, make sure you really want to cancel, and then read you several paragraphs of disclosures making you aware of the penalties for cancelling, or what your final obligations are.

I had a customer that for 2 months would call in and yell and scream at the CSR's and would hang up before the CSR finished reading the cancellation disclosures. This lady called in 4 times and would do the same thing everytime, and since the disclosures where not properly read they would not close the account.

The only way to cancel an account is by calling in and speaking with their loyalty department. You can't email DISH Network, tweet, text or do an online chat to cancel an account. I have seen customers write letters, but then your still going to get a follow up call before they actually shut off your account.

If a company gives me a hard time about cancelling, many times I just won't pay the bill and let the service be discontinued for non-payment and simply pay the final bill.

Its unfortunate, I had to do that with XM and Vonage. However DISH Network does not give customers these issues.

To DonD - I will definitely post back if there is any resolution to my problem, that is only fair, and as far as your pot meet kettle, if you make personal attacks on people posting as you did on mine with your comment about me BSing, you will seriously discourage posters that have any problems for fear of being ridiculed.

To Claude Greiner - My contract was up, there were no penalties to be discussed, and in fact each time I have called I was on the phone for a minimum of a half an hour. And no, there was absolutely no discussion about retaining DISH. I had already had Brighthouse installed and was in no way interested in continuing with DISH. I fulfilled my contract, paid my bill on time in full and simply wanted to cancel service, shouldn't have been this difficult. As far as the way to cancel the account - after e-mailing on January 11th, I followed up with phone calls on January 20th and again two more times. I have no communication or language issues, I am a nurse as well as the owner of a gun shop, I know how to state what I need and want very clearly and I have been very patient with this issue up until yesterday. As far as not paying the bill and letting the service be discontinued for non-payment and then simply paying the final bill, that is what I would refer to as extorting money, I am paying for something I shouldn't have to pay for simply because the company doesn't want to release customers. Why should I pay for services I have cancelled, have no contract for and no longer need or want? And yes, I beg to differ but DISH Network does give customers these issues.

Honestly, I am very happy for all of those who have had positive experiences with DISH, unfortunately, from start to finish, my experience has been anything but.

To DonD - I will definitely post back if there is any resolution to my problem, that is only fair, and as far as your pot meet kettle, if you make personal attacks on people posting as you did on mine with your comment about me BSing, you will seriously discourage posters that have any problems for fear of being ridiculed.

To Claude Greiner - My contract was up, there were no penalties to be discussed, and in fact each time I have called I was on the phone for a minimum of a half an hour. And no, there was absolutely no discussion about retaining DISH. I had already had Brighthouse installed and was in no way interested in continuing with DISH. I fulfilled my contract, paid my bill on time in full and simply wanted to cancel service, shouldn't have been this difficult. As far as the way to cancel the account - after e-mailing on January 11th, I followed up with phone calls on January 20th and again two more times. I have no communication or language issues, I am a nurse as well as the owner of a gun shop, I know how to state what I need and want very clearly and I have been very patient with this issue up until yesterday. As far as not paying the bill and letting the service be discontinued for non-payment and then simply paying the final bill, that is what I would refer to as extorting money, I am paying for something I shouldn't have to pay for simply because the company doesn't want to release customers. Why should I pay for services I have cancelled, have no contract for and no longer need or want? And yes, I beg to differ but DISH Network does give customers these issues.

Honestly, I am very happy for all of those who have had positive experiences with DISH, unfortunately, from start to finish, my experience has been anything but.

Obviously you had an attitude when you tried to cancel. I was a better than 5 year subscriber and former beta tester for Dish, and when I cancelled the CSR politely asked why and explained that it was due to the fact they did not carry my hockey team's games in HD or my Baseball Teams games at all. They politely told me what was expected on returning the receivers and that was it. No hassles and no further contact with Dish in the last two years. Sugar always gets more than spice.

To IslandGuy43 - Obviously I had an attitude?- you know what they say about assuming? As I posted back to TomD, posters should not be subjected to personal attacks when using this site. Comments about a person's integrity, attitude, or demeanor are just that.

To Mary Brady at Customer Service with DISH Network, thank you very much for resolving the problem, it is a shame that this is what it took to get the problem resolved but I really appreciate you researching the problem and correcting it. Really changes the bad taste that had been left in my mouth.

Sometimes things go wrong, it happens, as a business owner I know what makes a difference in a succesful business is how the business resolves the problem. Thank you, Mary Brady, and DISH Network, for the resolution.

If someone can tell me how to edit the title of my post I will be happy to do so.

Last edited:
Maybe next time the OP has an issue they will post a more calmer, rational thread, without the anger and cute angry smilies. Now that the issue has been resolved, doesn't "EXTORTIONISTS" look just a tad extreme??

BTW, my "Nice first post" post was not meant as a compliment. I probably should have included one of these: :rolleyes:

Terra20050 - My last post on this topic. Companies are a collection of people who I believe earnestly try to do the right thing. If you called my company "Extortionists" I would take that personally. Would you call Mary an Extortionist? She's an employee of Dish Network and by your definition an "Extortionist". Hopefully the next time you start a post you'll choose a more appropriate title like "Had trouble cancelling my Dish Account - Any suggestions?".

Maybe next time the OP has an issue they will post a more calmer, rational thread, without the anger and cute angry smilies. Now that the issue has been resolved, doesn't "EXTORTIONISTS" look just a tad extreme??

BTW, my "Nice first post" post was not meant as a compliment. I probably should have included one of these: :rolleyes:
:up

Resolution, Resolver Revolver, and Re-educating

To TomD - point made.
To Scott G - thank you for revising the post title, obviously I have had a very positive interaction with Mary, how about "The Resolver Revolver"? - She is a great trouble shooter.
To Cosmo-Kramer - again personal insults, oh, well...to drop to your level...sometimes you just can't teach an old dog new tricks :rolleyes:

To Cosmo-Kramer - again personal insults, oh, well...to drop to your level...sometimes you just can't teach an old dog new tricks :rolleyes:
Personal insult?? Looks like you need to spend a little more time around these fora to see some actual examples of "personal insults".

My point was the tone of your first post might be proper if someone here at SatGuys had wronged you. The fact that no one here did makes it seem extreme.

OK, still trying to get this figured out. Can anyone tell me what a lnbf is? Mary Brady has told me if I ship the receivers, remotes, switch and lnbf to DISH they will zero my account out. I was not surprised to learn I would need to ship the receivers and remotes back (though when I changed from Direct to DISH, they essentially said toss them, too old to do anyone any good) but I have never heard of sending back switches (?) or an lnbf (?). Can anyone help me out here and tell me what these are? Thanks.

OK, still trying to get this figured out. Can anyone tell me what a lnbf is? Mary Brady has told me if I ship the receivers, remotes, switch and lnbf to DISH they will zero my account out. I was not surprised to learn I would need to ship the receivers and remotes back (though when I changed from Direct to DISH, they essentially said toss them, too old to do anyone any good) but I have never heard of sending back switches (?) or an lnbf (?). Can anyone help me out here and tell me what these are? Thanks.

See image attached.

Attachments

• LNB.jpg
    LNB.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 311

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)