Problems ice snow accumulation dish

idavenport21

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Fairfax Ohio
I have problems with my eastern arc dish going out when it snows here. I am trying to find a retailer that sells and installs a dish heater. I tried the dish local retailer page no luck nobody sold or installed them. I live in Cincinnati Ohio. If I can't find anybody that does this I am looking at a 420 early termination fee. Any help appreciated.

I have problems with my eastern arc dish going out when it snows here. I am trying to find a retailer that sells and installs a dish heater. I tried the dish local retailer page no luck nobody sold or installed them. I live in Cincinnati Ohio. If I can't find anybody that does this I am looking at a 420 early termination fee. Any help appreciated.

I would love to find heater for dish also so if snow accumulates it will melt it but hard to find in Missouri here :)

There are several of them on eBay, search "dish Heater". The installation is very simple unless your dish is up high. Remember to keep the stick-on pad low on the dish, not centered... the melted snow needs to drip off and not re-freeze.

It shouldn't go out every time it snows. You may be having a low signal issue. If you start with low signal, your threshold for rain/weather fade is much smaller. I had a .4 EA in MI and never had an issue.

Super-soakers do work if the dish is not way up high out of range. You might have to re-load with hot water and re-blast the front of the dish a couple of times. However, finding super-soakers in winter can be a challenge.

Just a note... I have had both Western Arc and Eastern Arc. In my area the EA dish is much less vertical than the WA dish was. Therefore it is more likely to get snow/ice accumulation necessitating a removal strategy as mentioned above.

It isn't always the accumulation of snow blocking the signal. Sometimes it is the weight sitting low on the dish changing the shape and focal point.

Thanks for the suggestions but my dish is on the roof and out of reach. I know you can buy heaters online but I would need somebody to install it is the problem

I use a swimming pool scooper to knock off the snow. I extend it and am able to get at it on my ranch home. The snow dosen't cause the signal to go out. It's when it starts melting and the water is bending the signal, sort of like a prism.

Just a note... I have had both Western Arc and Eastern Arc. In my area the EA dish is much less vertical than the WA dish was. Therefore it is more likely to get snow/ice accumulation necessitating a removal strategy as mentioned above.

I'm just a few miles east of you in Wayne County. I think I lost signal once this winter due to hevy wet snow. My earc dish is much more vertical than my old mixed st up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)