problems on set up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
giovanni, another way would be to scan that satellite again, you might have to add it to your VS if its not listed, it was once called SBS6 and is now called Horizon2. Scan it while you're still pointed at 74, so you'll have those channels scanned in on the right bird. Don't set up motor control on 74 until you've scanned it, or the motor will move the dish again before it scans.
Then you can try moving the dish to 79 with USALS and see if you hit it. If not you'll prob need to loosen the motor bracket on the pole and turn the dish/motor slightly to the west.

Giovanni,

Before you move the motor on the mast, use a fairly fine point, felt tip marker and make a line on the motor bracket and the mast for a reference position. This way you will know where you started on 74.0W.

Then turn the motor west on the mast ~5 degrees. You will have to use an educated guess of how far 5 degrees actually is, but if you pull up the HOT TP 11900 H SR 2170 on 79.0'W AMC 5. This will be the KTEL-DT channel's TP and you can use it to dial the motor in. This has a strong signal and should be fairly easy to locate.

RADAR

Well I gave it another go today, and did have some luck.

I was able to reset the receiver and the motor, and start looking for my ture south sat (79W), allthough not with much luck!

Even with the tp for KTEL on screen, I could not get a signal. So I decided to drive the dish over to 74W, where I had a signal the night before. I did find it again, (same WBNS channel).

Signal was not too strong, only about 30%, but could not dial it in stonger.
I moved over to 79W and the signal was there, again about 35%, could not get stonger. Still pulls in staions. All the NYN stations are on at about 70%, but no KTEL. Why?

Swung over to 97W and have about 35-40%, but get a good picture. Still could not adjust better on the dish.

Tried 123W and no signal at all. I think I am very close but not good enough to track the entire belt.

I do not understand why at each sat I cant adjust a better signal, no matter where I put the dish.
You would think that if you are working it like a fixed dish at each sat you would be able to get a better signal.

Giovanni,
If you get NYN 9 at 70% you should get KTEL at a higher quality level. The problem is the transponder 11900/H/2170 is a very low symbol rate (02170) and it takes time for the signal to lock in. If I get NYN 9 at a good signal/quality level and change the channel to KTEL I can count up to fifteen before my Fortec Star Dynamic locks the signal in. Once lock in I get the station good, and recently the station went to AC3 Dolby sound, I use the optical output to a box with a headset to listen to it. The only problem is I don't understand Spanish. Hang in there you will get it to work.

mikelib
That is odd that KTEL is Dolby for you. I know they have multiple audio pids and one is non AC-3. I listen to it on the Coolsat 5000 with no extra equipment

Hi Iceberg,
Last week they were dolby the Fortec Dynamic showed the the DD on the bottom banner. I mentioned it in another thread on AC3. I had just gotten the Cyberhome headsets and I checked it out on that station. You did comment at the time that they had gone to Dolby once before. I will check it out tomorrow with the Dynamic and the Coolsat 5K.
Mike Lib

Just wondering what my next step should be?

I tried scaning in some Sats last night, and had some luck. I was able to get AMC6 @72W, Horizons @74W, AMC5 @79W, AMC8 @83W all with decent signal (50-70%). Went over to 97W and get 100+ channels but at about 30% on all.

123W is not there.

Should I try to adjust the dish on one of the higher sats on the belt, maybe 97W to try and balance it out?

I am very cautious at moving the dish right now because it was so difficult for me to get this far. And when I tried to scale in 97W yesterday at a better signal, it went nowhere but down.

Have the Receiver drive to 72 west via USALS.
Pick a TP that is Hot
Go to the Dish, and just put pressure on the Rim of the Dish, Up, Down, East, and West.
Make note of results of all 4, both good and bad.
Do the same for you True South Sat.

By picking up a tp that is hot, do you mean to find a station on 72W that gives me the strongest signal as it sits right now?

Also, my true south sat is 79W, should I not be starting there with a hot tp?

OK, so just to confirm.....

If I use the Universal Twin LNB on the motorized dish, my set up will look like this:

receiver-->disecq(4x1)
(port 1-3 for DBS (standard LNB's)) (port 4 will go to a SW21 switch that has the Universal Twin LNB on the dish 1 side and the 4th DBS LNB (standard) on the dish 2 side.

and the receiver:

for port 4, it will be:

for the Universal LNB--set to standard, 10600, 22KHz off, motor on USALS, SW21 dish 1.
for the DBS LNB-- set to standard, 11250, 22KHZ off, motor off, SW21 dish 2.

Or does the 22KHz need to be on here?

By picking up a tp that is hot, do you mean to find a station on 72W that gives me the strongest signal as it sits right now?
yes

Also, my true south sat is 79W, should I not be starting there with a hot tp?
yes you should. But the issue seems to be the farther you are moving away from true south, the worse the signal quality gets. By peaking true south, then going to a eastern satellite and checking quality then moving t a western satellite and checking you can adjust the elevation of dish as need be to maximize the signal

I guess I'm kinda lucky being in the midwest as my true south is 93W so I have about the same number of sats on both sides of the arc. Its not one side heavy

I gave her another go last night...

I checked the mast just to make sure, and it is plumb on all sides, I thought maybe it may have moved.

So I set the receiver and motor on my true south sat, 79, the first channel of NYN is the most powerful at about 65%. Some adjustments with the dish got it up to about 70%, but it is not steady. It keeps dropping out at 65 and then jumps back up to 70 within a second. Tried pulling back on the mast and/or leaning on the mast and no difference could be seen on the signal. The dish itself is very steady.

So over to 97W I go to see what I have. Some improvement from before at about the 50-60% mark. So over to 123W I go. There is 6 channels that come in, all at about 20%. Only one has audio and video, the others have none. Tried to tweak 123W ever so slightly but had no luck. I did not want to lose the others.
At least it actually read 123W this time. One draw back though, over on the other side, I moved the dish to 72 and 74W, and their signal actually went down some. Tried to watch RTV/RTN and was at about 15-20% and was glitching constantly.

What else can I do if I cant get a better signal from 79W (about 70% from my true south sat).

What else can I do if I cant get a better signal from 79W (about 70% from my true south sat).
Depending on your receiver, that may be all you get. It's not the strongest TP If I remember.
With Dish peaked, play with the LNB, move it in / out, and mess with the Skew a little.

Go back to 72 or 74, and push on the Dish, try to determine what makes a difference.
Then same for 97.
Don't loosen anything, just push the rim of the Dish.

I have tried what you said about pushing gently on the dish, and I do not get any improvement. This is why I am thinking that my arc is off slighlty, and the only scale left that I have not adjusted, is the one on the motor.

Is it not a good idea to try and adjust the elevation scale on the motor ever so slightly? Up or down?

I have it dialed in at 43.2, but who is to say you can actually read the 0.2!

Just curious as to what sort of readings anyone else at this latitude is getting at both ends of the arc?

Is it not a good idea to try and adjust the elevation scale on the motor ever so slightly? Up or down?
Yes, you can adjust.
Usually if an angle is a little off, pushing on the Dish will yield positive results, and give you an idea of which way to move.

Pushing on the dish at any specific sat is not giving me any better signals, I have tried that.
If the motor is off slightly, I would get better signal only on the sats that are closest to my true south. The further I go either east or west, I will be further off of the arc, and this seems to be what I am experiencing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts