Problems Reconnecting Bell 91 After Several Months

Ed Goldstein

Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
New York, NY
It took a few months, but I finally trimmed a branch that had been completely blocking my Bell signal at 91 degrees. However, all of my receivers are giving the 020 error - this smart card is not valid with this receiver. The irony here is that the error is preventing me from checking the signal to see if I cut the right branch. Is there a way to get rid of this error? I've had the same cards for years.

I should say that I'm using a 3100 running E659 software. I suspect there was some kind of software update that's confusing my receivers.

It was working fine in May. Was there an update since then? BTW, I've only used Bell for SD as I only have a view (in Winter at least) of 91. Does anyone have recommendations for a receiver if mine is in fact obsolete? (I also have a 4100 with the same issue.)

Happy to say I got this resolved by cutting some more branches. But here's a puzzle: my 3100s get WGN (Channel 295) but my 4100 just doesn't show it in the guide at all. I've synchronized channels a couple of times and even reset the 4100 to factory defaults but it simply never shows that channel. It's not a big deal but I'm curious what could be causing it or if there's a way to fix it.

Happy to say I got this resolved by cutting some more branches. But here's a puzzle: my 3100s get WGN (Channel 295) but my 4100 just doesn't show it in the guide at all. I've synchronized channels a couple of times and even reset the 4100 to factory defaults but it simply never shows that channel. It's not a big deal but I'm curious what could be causing it or if there's a way to fix it.
I've had channels not show up due to being notched out by a bad coax barrel connector. Maybe you have something like that going on?

Easy check would be to swap locations of the receivers, and see if the problem travels or not. If so, then start swapping things down the line until you find out what's causing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts