Problems setting up (AMC4)on 101.0w with GT-S40 LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
I just spent the better part of yesterday afternoon on the roof trying to add 101w(AMC-4) to my existing 97w on a Globecast dish without any success. The LNB that i was using is a Universal GT-S40 by GTSAT co. (1) Is the GT-S40 the right LNB to use? (2) Apart from the minimum 4 degrees of separation rule between satellites, how far apart physically should my 101 (AMC4)- LNB be from the aready existing 97w LNB on the Globecast dish? (3) If this is the right LNB what will the L.O be? During my failed attempt to setup 101......my settings were as follows: LNB Type = Universal, L.O.= 9750 and Transponders: (AMC4)-11822 H 5700 or 12120 V 30000. I even tried LNB Type = Standard, L.O.= 10750 and Transponder= (AMC4)-11822 H 5700 or 12120 V 30000. On all these tests the Singnal was like 71 and the Quality was 0.:eek: :confused: Here are the specs of the LNB in question.Thanks for your response in advance.

Try setting the LNB in the setup LO to 10600.

If your center LNB is on 97W, try holding the new LNB about 3 inches center to center on the East (right side facing the front of the dish) and about 1 inch higher than the existing LNB.

That should get you something.

Fred

Try setting the LNB in the setup LO to 10600.

If your center LNB is on 97W, try holding the new LNB about 3 inches center to center on the East (right side facing the front of the dish) and about 1 inch higher than the existing LNB.

That should get you something.

Fred
Does it mean that Universal GT-S40 LNB is correct LNB to recieve 101 (AMC-4) or should i be looking for a strictly linear LNB that use L.O. =10750? Since the Globecast dish already has a Skew setting is it neccessary for the 101w to be 1 inch higher still?

Last edited:
if its a Universal, you would need to set it up as either Universal (LNB LO 9750/10600) or set it to standard and change the LNB LO to 10600 and turn the 22k on

Also, I assume you have it on the corrct side (if you are behind the dish, it would be to the LEFT of the existing LNB...when working with multiple LNB's they go opposite of what they are in the sky)

if its a Universal, you would need to set it up as either Universal (LNB LO 9750/10600) or set it to standard and change the LNB LO to 10600 and turn the 22k on

Also, I assume you have it on the corrct side (if you are behind the dish, it would be to the LEFT of the existing LNB...when working with multiple LNB's they go opposite of what they are in the sky)
Yes it is a Universal LNB. Here is the Info on the LNB. Yes, I was on the correct side. Facing the dish, I placed the LNB to the right for the 101w which is the same as placing it on the left from behind the dish. Linuxman suggested; "If your center LNB is on 97W, try holding the new LNB about 3 inches center to center on the East (right side facing the front of the dish) and about 1 inch higher than the existing LNB." Since the Globecast dish already has a Skew setting is it neccessary for the 101w to be 1 inch higher still? "What of the spacing between the LNBs, I mean between 97 & 101.

the spacing should be right next to each other. Most LNB's when placed together are 4 degrees apart.

you have the position right (lots of people get confused when working with multiple LNB's) :) If the dish is skewed already, place the LNB right next to it and it should work.

When I added the second LNB on my fixed disk to get AMC4, I ended up with the front of the LNBs touching together. At the back end of the LNB I need a small wedge of plastic to hold the back of the LNBs slightly seperated. This angled the front of the LNB a tiny bit to point at the center of the dish.

I took the receiver connected to the second LNB and a small TV out to the dish and to start with I held the second LNB in my hand. I moved it around slightly and angled the back side of the LNB back and forth until I got a signal. 3abn on AMC4 is so strong that I didnt have any trouble getting the signal while just holding the LNB. After I saw what position worked I used two hose clamps to hold the LNBS together.

Another idea it toswap out the LNB that is working and put in the new LNB in its place. Then you could get off the roof and play with the settings at the receiver to find the ones to make the new LNB work. I like to try to break down problems so that I am working on just one at a time. Then when you try to get the piggyback LNB to work you know the only thing you have to deal with is the position and angle of the piggy back LNB. Use the original coax to get the second LNB working. Once that is done you can work on the switch setting to switch between the two LNBS.

Last edited:
When I added the second LNB on my fixed disk to get AMC4, I ended up with the front of the LNBs touching together. At the back end of the LNB I need a small wedge of plastic to hold the back of the LNBs slightly seperated. This angled the front of the LNB a tiny bit to point at the cented of the dish.

I took the receiver connected to the second LNB and a small TV out to the dish and to start with I held the second LNB in my hand. I moved it around slightly and angled the back side of the LNB back and forth until I got a signal. 3abn on AMC4 is so strong that I didnt have any trouble getting the signal while just holding the LNB. After I saw what position worked I used two hose clamps to hold the LNBS together.

Another idea it toswap out the LNB that is working and put in the new LNB in its place. Then you could get off the roof and play with the settings at the receiver to find the ones to make the new LNB work. I like to try to break down problems so that I am working on just one at a time. Then when you try to get the piggyback LNB to work you know the only thing you have to deal with is the position and angle of the piggy back LNB. Use the original coax to get the second LNB working. Once that is done you can work on the switch setting to switch between the two LNBS.
Thanks for your detailed reply. Well, I was partially successful in adding (AMC-4 101w) to my existing (Galaxy 25 97w) but I encountered a problem. When I added the new LNB, i was getting S=78 and Q=64, but it was too close (facing the dish leaning left toward the 97w) to 97w LNB that it reduced 97's Quality reading to 25.:( For some reason the 101 LNB has to be almost covering 1/4 of the front of the 97w LNB for the 101 LNB to get above Q of 25. Right now, I have removed the 101 and left the original 97 on the Globecast dish, which I never touched in the first place.

Questions:
1) Now, how do I fix this issue, so that I could at least have Q=50 on each LNB.

2) Which other satellites apart from 93w, and 101w can I get without having to move my dish from pointing at 97w.

3) Should I do a revised setup of the dish using new calculations that include 97w and 101w?

Last edited:
I guess you could mount the 101 LNB so that you get the best signal you can get. Then move the whole dish a tiny bit so that the dish points to an area between both satellites. Sort of split the difference.

Also try rotating the second LNB to find the best signal.

The LNBFs that you are using are too large and they cannot be placed close enough to resolve the 4 degree spacing. This is the reason that we developed the GSL1 LNBF. These are the smallest LNBFs available and will allow side by side placement without having to angle the LNBF.

You could also take a nippers or hacksaw ...... see attached photo

Attachments

• DSCN0761.JPG
    DSCN0761.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 373
The LNBFs that you are using are too large and they cannot be placed close enough to resolve the 4 degree spacing. This is the reason that we developed the GSL1 LNBF. These are the smallest LNBFs available and will allow side by side placement without having to angle the LNBF.

You could also take a nippers or hacksaw ...... see attached photo
You're right!:eureka The size of the Globecast LNB is Big! As a newbie I never thought of that. At the highlighted; I'm afraid of taking the nippers or hacksaw to the LNBs as I may cut away too much or totally destroy them. I will take a look at "GSL1 LNBF" and see what that looks like. BTW, wouldn't moisture and rain destroy those open LNBs in the picture within a short period of time?:confused:

Last edited:
You are right about the units being damaged if the feed horn is left open. This was an experimental unit. You could cut the plastic caps and silicone together or cover the feed horns with plastic with breathing holes in the base.

buy or build ?

Linuxman had a wonderful thread which touched on just about everything you'd need to know about putting two LNBs on a single dish.
(speed through it, looking at the pictures 'till you get toward the last couple of pages)
Well, maybe not when the LNBs need to be really close together.
For that, scroll through that thread to post #84, where I gave a link to some suggested LNB mods (harsh mechanical mods!)

There's even math for calculating exactly how far apart (center to center) the two LNBs need to be.

If you can't get two regular LNBs close enough for your chosen birds, those small diameter LNBs SatAV sells, are a lot easier than mods which may break your big LNBs.
The little Mini's come in both Standard, and Universal.

Linuxman had a wonderful thread which touched on just about everything you'd need to know about putting two LNBs on a single dish.
(speed through it, looking at the pictures 'till you get toward the last couple of pages)
Well, maybe not when the LNBs need to be really close together.
For that, scroll through that thread to post #84, where I gave a link to some suggested LNB mods (harsh mechanical mods!)

There's even math for calculating exactly how far apart (center to center) the two LNBs need to be.

If you can't get two regular LNBs close enough for your chosen birds, those small diameter LNBs SatAV sells, are a lot easier than mods which may break your big LNBs.
The little Mini's come in both Standard, and Universal.
Thanks! I'm leaning toward the SatAV option at this point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts