Problems with audio on Vip622 HD channels

g182237

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Honolulu
Why do I sometimes lose audio on TV1 when watching HD channels? I lose the audio for as long as an hour sometimes. The SD channels are fine and watching HD channels on TV2 is not a problem either. If I'm recording something on an HD channel the audio will be fine when I play it back once the sound returns. Thanks.

Why do I sometimes lose audio on TV1 when watching HD channels? I lose the audio for as long as an hour sometimes. The SD channels are fine and watching HD channels on TV2 is not a problem either. If I'm recording something on an HD channel the audio will be fine when I play it back once the sound returns. Thanks.

Possibly you are sending a dolby digital signal to a TV that doesn't support it. Check menu 6, 7 and try PCM only. Rarer would be it doesn't support PCM but does support Dolby digital, in which try dolby digital only.

Otherwise its something wrong with your receiver, wiring (or optical) connection, or TV/audio device.

Are you using the HDMI connection? Your TV and the 622 may be failing the handshake. The handshake to which I refer happens many times per second; it's constantly renegotiated. It's more common that the video signal gets dropped than audio, but that may be the cause. Next time the audio drops, leave the 622 on, but turn the TV off and then on again.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I should have been a little clearer. My 622 is connected to my receiver via HDMI. It passes both the audio and video to the receiver. The receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI. No audio comes from the TV, just the 5.1 surround speakers. Thanks for your inputs.

What type/model AV receiver do you have? There have been some documented problems with some Onkyo and other receivers.

Have you tried (just for a test) to directly connect to your TV (even though you may lose the HD sound) to see if the problem occurs. That will tell you if it's the VIP or
the receiver.

Another test (if you wanted the 5.1 sound) would be to hook the HDMI to the TV and run a fiber TOSLINK cable from the DVR to the receiver for the sound. If that again doesn't fail then I think it's the receiver getting all confused.

What happens if when you lose the sound you switch the receiver to another input source and then switch it back to the DVR? Does the sound come back?

Another test (if you wanted the 5.1 sound) would be to hook the HDMI to the TV and run a fiber TOSLINK cable from the DVR to the receiver for the sound. If that again doesn't fail then I think it's the receiver getting all confused.

Since you're using HDMI for picture, this is your best bet. The 622 and 722 are not particularly good with HDMI. I hope the 722k is better.