Problems With CBS-HD On 148?

oki understand now. rain fade isnt really a fading its a loss of signal. so its more like rain loss. that i unedrstand because if its digital you are either getting it or you arent. thanks

i am going to try to adjust the dish up and down this weekend instead of just left and right. i would love to get somethiing around 80. that would be great. i am still holding out hope there will be some HD action on 148 some time soon.

richmert said:
oki understand now. rain fade isnt really a fading its a loss of signal. so its more like rain loss. that i unedrstand because if its digital you are either getting it or you arent. thanks

i am going to try to adjust the dish up and down this weekend instead of just left and right. i would love to get somethiing around 80. that would be great. i am still holding out hope there will be some HD action on 148 some time soon.
No, actually, it IS fade - you just don't see the fact that the signal is weakening until it falls to a certain point - the point where the FEC (Forward Error Correction) can no longer recover enough of the data to have a usable signal.

SimpleSimon said:
No, actually, it IS fade - you just don't see the fact that the signal is weakening until it falls to a certain point - the point where the FEC (Forward Error Correction) can no longer recover enough of the data to have a usable signal.

yes i understand that there is an erosion of signal but you admit in your argument that the error correction fails at some point and you lose the signal. it is simple boolean logic with bit correction that the transmission is either working or it is not. the correction bit is either on or its off. there really is no fading about that. its the same with digital tramsmissions between computers when i am trying to recieve a file. either the last correction bit matches or it doesnt. when it doesnt the tranmission is ended and it has to start over. once the bit correction fails the signal is lost. it is off. i dont see a fade i see a signal and then i see no signal so while we all understand that the rain is blocking a bit here and there the signal is either on or it is off. it doenst fade in and fade out.

Regarding the flashing green lines on CBS-HD:

I believe that, as Dish said, it is a problem at the provider (CBS). I used to be a Dish subscriber, but now have Comcast cable TV. Last night I was watching an episode of NCIS (from CBS) that I had recorded on 4/12/05. For the first time since switching to Comcast two months ago, I experienced the flashing green lines at various vertical positions on my tv. They flashed about 2 or 3 times per minute for the first 30 minutes of the show.

So I doubt the problem is with Dish.

Gene

gepaine said:
Regarding the flashing green lines on CBS-HD:

I believe that, as Dish said, it is a problem at the provider (CBS). I used to be a Dish subscriber, but now have Comcast cable TV. Last night I was watching an episode of NCIS (from CBS) that I had recorded on 4/12/05. For the first time since switching to Comcast two months ago, I experienced the flashing green lines at various vertical positions on my tv. They flashed about 2 or 3 times per minute for the first 30 minutes of the show.

So I doubt the problem is with Dish.

Gene

Wow, that's even worse than on Dish. I also watched NCIS last night and counted about 6 occurrences during the entire hour. I sure wish they would get it fixed. :(

Are you watching the LA CBS station?

NightRyder

Green Lines Were On Local Seattle Affiliate

NightRyder:

No, I was not watching the LA feed. I get all of the local network channels in HD in the Seattle area via Comcast cable.

FYI: The reason I left Dish after 7 years was because they jerked me around when I was upgrading my tv to HD. I would have stayed with them if only they would have been supportive of my attempts to get CBS-HD out of LA. Instead, they threw up roadblock after roadblock. I had even bought a 921 inspite of all the problems reported via this forum. I returned it when I wasn't going to be able to get any networks in HD. (I have no hope of getting locals OTA where I live.)

The Comcast DVR is very buggy and can be frustrating. If Dish improves the 921 and offers Seattle locals in HD, I would probably switch back to Dish.

Gene

gepaine said:
NightRyder:

No, I was not watching the LA feed. I get all of the local network channels in HD in the Seattle area via Comcast cable.

FYI: The reason I left Dish after 7 years was because they jerked me around when I was upgrading my tv to HD. I would have stayed with them if only they would have been supportive of my attempts to get CBS-HD out of LA. Instead, they threw up roadblock after roadblock. I had even bought a 921 inspite of all the problems reported via this forum. I returned it when I wasn't going to be able to get any networks in HD. (I have no hope of getting locals OTA where I live.)

The Comcast DVR is very buggy and can be frustrating. If Dish improves the 921 and offers Seattle locals in HD, I would probably switch back to Dish.

Gene

Thanks for the info Gene. Sorry to hear about your problems with Dish, I also have no hope of receiving OTA of any kind where I live. My local POS cable company doesn't offer any HD, so I'm pretty much SOL on network HD except for CBS. On a positive Dish note, it looks like the 942 is a much better receiver than the 921 is/was.

NightRyder

richmert said:
yes i understand that there is an erosion of signal but you admit in your argument that the error correction fails at some point and you lose the signal. it is simple boolean logic with bit correction that the transmission is either working or it is not. the correction bit is either on or its off. there really is no fading about that. its the same with digital tramsmissions between computers when i am trying to recieve a file. either the last correction bit matches or it doesnt. when it doesnt the tranmission is ended and it has to start over. once the bit correction fails the signal is lost. it is off. i dont see a fade i see a signal and then i see no signal so while we all understand that the rain is blocking a bit here and there the signal is either on or it is off. it doenst fade in and fade out.
Your oversimplification is not valid.

We're not talking about a simple parity bit here. It's actually a sophisticated data recovery mechanism that requires a LOT of the total bandwidth.

CBSHD-LA has never been very reliable in my experience, but I've always thought it to be a problem at the head end in LA and not E* 148. No surround sound, just the center channel with intermittent (2 seconds or so) DD 5.1/7.1 is the latest problem. Before it was just the surround channels and no center channel for the first 5-10 minutes of a recording. I don't have any problems with HBO/SHO or the other HD channels, but they're not on 148, so ???????

sorry simple i didnt mean to upset you. i have never written any satellite signal decoding programs but i am sure they are quite intricate. my only point was that when i turn on channel 9484 which is CBS on my 148 dish it either works or it doesnt work.
sorry again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts