Problems with chat tonight

drjdan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Dallas, TX
I recently installed Vista on my computer and also installed Java 6.0 runtime. I am unable to ge the chat to come on with this computer. It just shows loading and never loads. I went to another computer with XP and with Java 5.x runtime and it worked except I did not have the option to enter a comment.

Questions:

1. Does the chat support Vista with Java 6.0?

2. Why did I not have the comment option on the XP computer that could get the chat?

I am sure this will be moved to the Satellite Guys Operation Center and someone will be able to answer your question. Sorry you didn't make it. I didn't either but it was not my computer I was out working late.

This is why I've advised my customers not to get Vista yet. There are a lot of programs (current and up to date programs) that have issues with Vista that have not been fixed. I've used Vista in betas.

IE 7 also has a lot of issues too. Try Firefox. good luck

I recently installed Vista on my computer ........

Well, there's your problem right there! I'm using Firefox with XP Home. I was in on last night chat with no problems.

To be honest with you, there really is no advantage to upgrading to VISTA. Especially for the average home user/surfer/consumer. Supposedly the advantages of Vista will come to businesses or those that run multiple applications at the same time.

Head on over to the Microsoft website...find their forums page, and look for all the negative comments on VISTA.

I've learned in the past to wait for a looooong while before making/taking any updates or upgrades till they've been out for awhile!!!

From my viewpoint a public website like this should support the currently released lastest Windows software and the latest Java release. I not saying it the web site problem, it maybe something on my end. I was just asking if anyone had any insight.

From my viewpoint a public website like this should support the currently released lastest Windows software and the latest Java release. I not saying it the web site problem, it maybe something on my end. I was just asking if anyone had any insight.

The problem is Vista, the website works just fine, the Vista broke it. Try Firefox and see if it helps. I absolutely HATE Internet Exploder 7.

get it here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Just FYI, I was in the chat, and I was also using Vista.

I did have to turn off the OneCare firewall for it to work, but it worked fine with Vista. :)

Just FYI, I was in the chat, and I was also using Vista.

I did have to turn off the OneCare firewall for it to work, but it worked fine with Vista. :)

Shouldn't have to turn off the firewall to use something like this, Does it not ask?

I will not be getting Vista anytime soon. I installed it and deleted it 2 days later. I'm already having to run service calls to repair or make a workaround for problems with vista. It has already proven that it can't remember settings correctly, or play nice with XP.

"VISTA" equals the top five Windows problems: Virses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware,"

It didnt ask me, I also had to turn it on to log into my VPN at work, you think it would automatically open ports like that but it does not.

It didnt ask me, I also had to turn it on to log into my VPN at work, you think it would automatically open ports like that but it does not.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind as more customers pick it up :no
I'm certain to have issues with the FTP and SMB features of our new machines (Multifunction Copiers) because of the firewall.

Security features and accouting software for the copiers have already went belly up as Vista refuses to remember whos using the PC & Vista also refuses to remember Print Driver settings, which keeps the password or security codes from being saved. And before someone says that the manufacturer needs to go back and rewrite drivers, Microsoft wrote the drivers and supplied them in Vista.

I found this. Vista users beware of what your running and what may try to launch from websites.

Joanna Rutkowska has always been a big supporter of the Windows Vista security model. Until she stumbled upon a "very severe hole" in the design of UAC (User Account Control) and found out — from Microsoft officials — that the default no-admin setting isn't even a security mechanism anymore. Joanna Rutkowska

Rutkowska, a hacker with a track record of defeating Vista's security mechanisms, believes UAC has a major flaw in the way it automatically assumes that all setup programs (application installers) should be run with administrator privileges.

"[When] you try to run such a program, you get a UAC prompt and you have only two choices: either to agree to run this application as administrator or to disallow running it at all. That means that if you downloaded some freeware Tetris game, you will have to run its installer as administrator, giving it not only full access to all your file system and registry, but also allowing it to load kernel drivers! Why should a Tetris installer be allowed to load kernel drivers?,"

the rest is here. http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=29

This is just one of many issues. A new meaning for bleeding edge technology.

Shouldn't have to turn off the firewall to use something like this, Does it not ask?

I will not be getting Vista anytime soon. I installed it and deleted it 2 days later. I'm already having to run service calls to repair or make a workaround for problems with vista. It has already proven that it can't remember settings correctly, or play nice with XP.

"VISTA" equals the top five Windows problems: Virses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware,"

This goes right back my previous post....

"Never make upgrades till they've been out for awhile!!!" You can get a fairly good idea of how things will or WON'T work by first trying out the BETA releases.

I'll stick with XP at least for now. I won't be getting VISTA anytime soon. Hell, I didn't even take the IE 7 update KNOWING there would be problems with it after having used the BETA for all of 2 hours! Still use IE6, but only for updates though. FIREFOX is my mode of travel these days, and I love it.

OneCare firewall has to be told what ports or prgorams to be allowed to pass through. Just go into the setting on OneCare and run the firewall connection wizard.

When you say wizard, do you mean the Firewall Connection Tool? It only has a limited number of choices and I don't see one that would apply to the chat? Or do you mean the advanced where you have a lot choices and the ability to add ports?

So the question is, what did you do to let you be able to seen comments in the chat? I was in the chat, but did not have ability to sent comment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)