Problems with Dish Remote Access

DishTailgater

Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Like many others with similar posts, I cannot get a consistant connection to view live programming through Dish Remote Access. I have a Sling adaptor connected to a 722 receiver, which is hardwired to an ATT 2 wire router. At times, I am able to get an acceptable live feed to both an iPad and an Android smartphone. However, most often I get an error message indicating the receiver is not connected to the Internet. When this occurs while I am at home, I can usually re-establish the connection using the menu 6-1-9-2 reset. However, within a short period of time, the connection is lost again. I have read other threads suggesting the problem can be resolved with a software upgrade, but my receiver is already upgraded to L721 and the problem persists (in fact, it appears worse).
Can anybody help?

Dishonline is completely worthless and it is KILLING ME right now! It has not been working right for over a week! I can not view anything on the DVR where I have a sling connected. If I try to view any live TV event it does not matter what channel I choose to view because it shows me what was last playing on TV2 of my 711 instead of what I chose. I think it is time for a sticky thread titled "DishOnline is worthless".

Like many others with similar posts, I cannot get a consistant connection to view live programming through Dish Remote Access. I have a Sling adaptor connected to a 722 receiver, which is hardwired to an ATT 2 wire router. At times, I am able to get an acceptable live feed to both an iPad and an Android smartphone. However, most often I get an error message indicating the receiver is not connected to the Internet. When this occurs while I am at home, I can usually re-establish the connection using the menu 6-1-9-2 reset. However, within a short period of time, the connection is lost again. I have read other threads suggesting the problem can be resolved with a software upgrade, but my receiver is already upgraded to L721 and the problem persists (in fact, it appears worse).
Can anybody help?
I believe the problem is that your 2Wire is not using UPnP to allow automatic port forwarding setup for the inbound connection that is needed.

I found this URL where someone explains how to setup for their DVR (its *not* a dish dvr they are setting up) I've set the time to start on the video as 2:14 into it.. and you can stop watching at 4:30 ... because again it goes indepth to that users' video recorder (looks like for security cameras).

Port Forwarding Basics- AT&T 2Wire Final.avi - YouTube

Now important in this.. is that you are going to setup port 5101 to your first sling adapter, and if you have a second DVR with sling .. you would setup 5102 to that one.

Additionally, you should look into how to assign a *STATIC DHCP ADDRESS* to your Dish Receivers with the 2Wire. The reason is simple.. while everything is up and running you've no problems, but what happens after a power failure, or someone accidentally unplugs the receiver for too long .. if its IP Address changes, then the port fowarding you will be setting up will have to be changed. *BUT* if you setup Static DHCP ... then every time the dish receiver comes back to the network and asks for an IP address.. it will always be given the same ip, and that ip will always be reserved for that dish receiver.

So.. check out that video.. if that's more trouble than you were expecting.. then PM me and we can work on a way to get remote help.

The reason why it would work for a short period of time .. is because when you first reset, it "calls home" to dish .. telling dish "Hi I'm here" ... the port it will come from is usually 5101 ... so the 2wire's firewall will allow inbound communication for several minutes (upto about 50 or 60 minutes) to that same port. ... this happens because it thinks the conversation isn't over, and keeps the memory of what device used that port until the timeout period... anyway.. holler back if you need more help!

Thanks TH2.
I will check the video when I get home this evening and see if it is something I am comfortable with.
Just curious though, is this something the Dish technician should have done when they installed and set-up the equipment?

Wish the Dish box provided for assigning a Static IP. My Motorola DSL Router doesn't seem to support assign IP address through the Dynamic IP function. But then, it would also be nice if Dish support the original Stand-Alone Sling software with the means to directly provide the IP address (and bypass thier server).

Thanks TH2.
I will check the video when I get home this evening and see if it is something I am comfortable with.
Just curious though, is this something the Dish technician should have done when they installed and set-up the equipment?
Not really ... only if the install had been one fully reliant on Dish .. ie, they were bundling your internet and sat service ... and even then many may not know what to do.

Even with new routers, there have been issues with UPnP ... Universal Plug-n-Play was supposed to fix many of the problems users have with special devices and applications (Xbox, Wii, PS3, SlingBox/SlingAdapter, Torrent servers, etc) that require special ports be setup or dedicated for that device/application's use.

In theory everything is wonderful, but in reality, the smallest of glitches can mean that UPnP doesn't work correctly or appears to open ports, but fails to forward packets (network traffice) correctly from local machines ... etc.

The old "stand by" is to create manual Port Forward Rules. Each router/firewall/modem-combo device is slightly different, but they all should support some form of "forwarding" and most if not all should support Static DHCP assignment although they don't always call it static dhcp, they may call it IP Reservation, or Reserved Server, or some such.

Wish the Dish box provided for assigning a Static IP. My Motorola DSL Router doesn't seem to support assign IP address through the Dynamic IP function. But then, it would also be nice if Dish support the original Stand-Alone Sling software with the means to directly provide the IP address (and bypass thier server).
Agree with you there ... I saw that it didn't allow me to manually set one up and I'm like.. :mad::rant::mad: and then said.. :D FINE I'll do it in my router!

I'm one of the folks here using DD-WRT on my wireless routers (gateway and bridge routers) Much easier to setup such things with DD than with the myriad of others out there. Mostly the problem comes from *them* the Linksys's, the Dlink's, the Netgear's of the world.. trying to make nice for the "computer idiot" what they really end up doing is dumbing down the content to the point that when you get with someone that *knows* the correct terminology they can't get people where they need to be because everyone calls it something different rather than what it is.. :)

Anyway.. if you'd ID the model of router I'd look to see if there's anything I might find to help you (and anyone else reading)

I had no problems when we were using Dish Remote Access. All the problems started when they forced the change to Dish Online to work with Blockbuster. I like the idea of streaming Blockbuster movies, but the truth is that I'd rather have my sling adaptor work--AND I PAID $100 FOR MINE!!!! Refund me my $100, and I'll be a bit less pushy on this, but I'm steaming mad over this!! Tried this afternoon to watch last night's recorded Presidents Cup matches, and, gee, guess what--not connected. That's crap!

+1

I had no problems when we were using Dish Remote Access. All the problems started when they forced the change to Dish Online to work with Blockbuster. I like the idea of streaming Blockbuster movies, but the truth is that I'd rather have my sling adaptor work--AND I PAID $100 FOR MINE!!!! Refund me my $100, and I'll be a bit less pushy on this, but I'm steaming mad over this!! Tried this afternoon to watch last night's recorded Presidents Cup matches, and, gee, guess what--not connected. That's crap!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts