problems with DVD and DVR since hooking up new TV

lwolfson

Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
northern CA
I recently hooked up a new Toshiba television to my Dish cable box and DVD recorder/player. My DVD player will play videos but there's no sound. I can't figure out how to transfer programs from my DVR so that I can burn a DVD. Everything worked with my old television; obviously something isn't hooked up right with the new one.

I am a "newbie" so please explain as simply as possible. Thanks.

Welcome to the site, Lwolfson!

You'll need to post what type of connections you're using to connect the DVD and cable box to the TV with, HDMI, composite, etc. The model # of the TV may help someone help you figure it out too and what model of cable box and DVD also.

How is your DVD hooked up to the TV? And how did you hook the DVD to the Satellite receiver?

If you are use Component cable for the DVD player, did you remember to add the RT/LF audio cables also?
If everything is hooked up correctly, look at the sound settings on DVD player itself.

:welcome to Satelliteguys lwolfson!

I'm going to move this to the Dish section. Look for it there.

You most probably should hook the Dish receiver to the tv via hdmi. Hook the composite outs from the Dish receiver to the dvdr. Then hook the hdmi out from the dvdr to a 2nd hdmi port of the tv for best results. If you nuse componet out from the dvdr you wil need to connect the red/yellow audio cable.

You most probably should hook the Dish receiver to the tv via hdmi. Hook the composite outs from the Dish receiver to the dvdr. Then hook the hdmi out from the dvdr to a 2nd hdmi port of the tv for best results. If you nuse componet out from the dvdr you wil need to connect the red/yellow audio cable.
Did you mean red & white composite?

Did you mean red & white composite?
He obviously meant red/white for audio, but not composite. There is no such thing as composite audio.

He was referring to the fact that the OP would need to hookup audio in addition to component video for the recording input of the DVDR.

OTOH, the DVDR may not have a component video (red, green, blue) input. So, the OP may need to use composite video (yellow), which is usually ganged together in the same cable with audio (red/white).

AFAIK, and I've researched it, there are no dvdr's with component inputs. If there were, we could make hd dvr copies When I had my 722, I connected my dvdr video by S video. The Hopper doesn't have that.

Some few DVRs may take component but at least the "component" outputs are 480p at best.
You might as well use composite as there is little better--480i vs 480p.
-Ken

My old Philips DVDR72 had component inputs. But as stated, it was only 480i.

There is the qualification "old". When I was searching for a dvdr with component in's, I was told, if I remember correctly, that they were removed so that a person could not make a wide screen format dvd.

There is the qualification "old". When I was searching for a dvdr with component in's, I was told, if I remember correctly, that they were removed so that a person could not make a wide screen format dvd.

Available video inputs has nothing to do with the screen format of the content.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

I am using HDMI cable as well as coaxial cables. (The dish guy told me I needed both) My cable box is a vip722k. My DVD player is an old Toshiba, model D-VR5, that also converts VHS tapes to DVDs.

Can I post photos?

Componet is a higher quility video connect. cable are blue/green and red. you need to connect red/white for audio those are the RT(right)/LF(left) audio.

My set up is from my Hopper, hdmi to my avr and composite to my dvdr. hdmi from the dvdr to the avr. hdmi from the avr to the tv.
Also connected to the avr by hdmi is a blu-ray and a TWC cable box.

OK, here is my setup:

Yellow/white/red cables hooked up in video 1 on DVR and UHF/VHF input on DVD
Green/blue/red cables hooked up in output component video on DVD and video in on TV
Coaxial cables (2) the one that comes from the wall is connected to 3-way splitter on DVR; the second cable is connected to ant. cable on TV and out plugin on DVD
My HDMI cable is connected to HDMI 2 slot on TV (this is what TV is set to) and other end in the DVR

Does this sound like the right hookups for everything?

I can help with some of it. It appears to me you have no sound because you do not have sound coming from the DVD to the TV. You do appear to have the best connection for video using component. (You can check on the DVD and make sure you are going Component out from the DVD to Component in on the TV) (As I assume there is no HDMI out on the DVD) So now you need to find the audio out in the DVD and connect to audio in to the TV.

It also appears you have one side correct from the DVR, that would be composite out. But I don't understand how or why it goes into UHF/VHF? That cable should be the same on each side - yellow white red and go from Composite out on the DVR to the Composite in on the DVD.

If you have an antenna along with the Dish account, some of the coax makes sense. It should go to the "In" on the DVD, not out.

That should give you these options on the TV;
Ant
HDMI 2 for Satellite
Component for DVD

While watching the DVD on the TV, you should be able to pick these options on the DVD player
Ant for recording off the antenna
Composite for recording from the Satellite receiver.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts