Problems with HDMI sound on Vip211 and Mitsubishi LT-40164

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
I got a new LT-40164. When I connected it to my HDMI connection, after a couple of minutes, I begin to have dropouts in the sound 2-3 times a minute. If I shut the set off for a minute and turn it back on, the problem goes away for a few minutes and starts again. I have disconnected power to the TV and reset it without any change.

I replaced an LG that used the same HDMI connection without a problem so I am assuming it's the TV. When I connect using component video and analog sound, the problem doesn't occur.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Can someone suggest something I can do to fix it? I am going to call Mitsubishi to see what they can do to help, too.

Thanks in advance.

I got a new LT-40164. When I connected it to my HDMI connection, after a couple of minutes, I begin to have dropouts in the sound 2-3 times a minute. If I shut the set off for a minute and turn it back on, the problem goes away for a few minutes and starts again. I have disconnected power to the TV and reset it without any change.

I replaced an LG that used the same HDMI connection without a problem so I am assuming it's the TV. When I connect using component video and analog sound, the problem doesn't occur.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Can someone suggest something I can do to fix it? I am going to call Mitsubishi to see what they can do to help, too.

Thanks in advance.

Before you start shaking the trees, try another HDMI cable, despite the fact it worked with the other set.

"Before you start shaking the trees, try another HDMI cable, despite the fact it worked with the other set."

Excellent advice. ;) And if you continue to have problems, aside from just wanting to know why, forget about it and use the components. There is virtually no difference you will see in picture quality.

I had this problem and a more complicated issue when I had my 211k connected to my Mit TV. After several months of going back and forth with Dish tech reps (and several replacements), I gave up and put the 211 on a different TV and problem solved. My problem was more comples, having to do with a total drop out of audio whenever I switched to look at a HD program and a non HD program using HDMI connectors. There were no problems when using component cables. The "problem" also involved losing audio when I switched from a recorced event and a live event. If I turned off the T V and turned it on again, the audio would return.

This was several months ago and Dish may have figured out what is the root cause of this issue.

I wish people would start realizing that it's the TV or a cable, NOT the Dish reciever.

I have been using this receiver with an LG receiver for a year so I know it's not the receiver. It's only a week old. I am off to buy another HDMI cable this morning to see if it solves the problem. If it's a problem with the TV, I'll return it. The only question is if it's a manufacturing or design defect. If it's manufacturing, I'll exchange it for another. If it's a design defect, I'll look for another brand (although I like the built in sound bar).

I doubt it's the receiver, which worked fine with my LG. I replaced the cable with a new one and surprisingly, the problem is still there. I have done an internet search and can find a couple of posts where others have had issues with HDMI on this set. I find it surprising that there aren't more. Maybe it is a manufacturing defect.

I also have a Sling Catcher which has an HDMI output. I connected it to the TV and it played for a couple of hours without any drop out.

So . . . the receiver works with the old TV without a problem. The new TV works with another device with an HDMI connect without a problem. The receiver doesn't work properly with the new TV.

It appears to be a compatibility problem between the receiver and TV. I'll be called Mitsubishi and Dish to see what they have to say.

No one else has commented, but I'll bring the thread up to date with my latest theory. Mitsubishi says it's an incompatibility and I should return the set. I called Dish and got through to real tech support. They decided that the receiver needs to be replaced and are sending me a new one. After I got off the phone with them, I did a little more testing. Here's what I found.

I didn't mention that I have an external hard drive connected to the receiver. When I play prerecorded programs (like a live concert) in HD, there is drop out. If I play anything live, there's not. This implies that there is something going on with the hard drive or cpu. I know that even live programs pass through a buffer file on the hard drive. Is it possible that when there is a load on the HDMI port and a program is playing from the hard drive, there is too much work for the receiver's processor?

I'll leave it at that and report back when I get the replacement receiver.

My final report: I received the replacement receiver and it did the same thing as the original. I solved the problem by returning the TV. It's a nice set, but has this fundamental flaw. I replaced it with a Vizio for $400 less that actually works with the 211k. I'll take some of the savings and invest in a soundbar that improves the sound.

Sound bars are good for budget, but not good quality. Keep saving for receiver and speakers.

It's not for lack of funds as much as lack of desire to add to the complexity of a TV in a secondary location. Several years ago I bought some Gateway computers. They came with Altec Lansing Dolby surround speakers and subwoofer. I have 3 sets of them. I have a set for my computer and used another set connected to the bedroom TV. We recently replaced the bedroom TV set and I am now using the speakers connected to the Vizio. I bought a Polk Audio Soundbar that I am returning tomorrow. Compared to the computer speakers they sound anemic. Now, if they weren't so ugly . . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)