Problems with HR20 100S PLEASE HELP!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jaybsooner

Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Hello, new to the forum and site. I am hoping you guys can help.

I recently upgraded to an HR20 100S DVR. I have been having problems with these units since I switched. I am currently on my second box. I received both as brand new and they were not refurbished.

My initial HR20 100S worked fine for about two weeks. However, after a while when I would change channels it would take upwards of 10, 15, or somtimes 20 seconds for the channel (picture) to show on screen. This didn't matter what method I used to change channels (channel up/ down, entering the channel numerically, or selecting it from the guide). It would become progressively slower till it became too aggravating to deal with.

In addition, in conjunction with the channel changing delay, the DVR functions would also stop functioning. None of the buttons would respond (play pause, stop, rew, rec, etc),

I have done extensive trouble shooting, even switched to a second box (both of which have been brand new and not refurbished). I can reset the box, or unplug it and plug it back in and it will work fine for a brief period, but then has resorted back to the same behavior.

Just FYI, my Native control is set to "off", my harddrive for my DVR is empty, so I don't think this is the issue. I am wondering if anyone has had the same issues and if there have been any solutions. Please Help!!

Last edited:
Did you do the software update when you installed both DVR's? (Reset and then press "02468" on the blue welcome screen)

A more drastic solution would be to reformat the hard drive and then do the software update. (Reset then press and hold the "down" and "Record" buttons until the welcome screen comes back)

A tech installed both of them. I am sure I saw him do the software updates, both times he installed the units. Will go ahead and try the update though.

Do you think the hard drive reformat would make a difference when there is notihing on it to start with? I did record a movie in the past, but it has since been deleted.

:welcome

If you are interested and dont feel the current OS version on theunit is working, you can try to download the latest Cutting Edge version tonight at 11 PM EDT. Its beta software but does come with the latest tweeks and improvements that the national releases may not have. Check some of the threads out on how to download and some of the risks.

If nothing seems to work, I would ask Directv to replace the unit. Sometimes there are bad units and bad hard drives and no matter what you do software side or configuring or resetting, they will never work properly.

Welcome and keep posting. We will do our best to help.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already had them replace the unit once. Won't get into what a nightmare that was. Try 3 hours on the phone. Anyway, can you point me to a tutorial on how to download the software update? Should be active now shouldn't it (I am in Oklahoma and it 10:00 p.m.)

Here's how to force download it.

First, you will need to restart your receiver. There are multiple methods to doing this, but the preferred method is to use the menus. Also, make sure its in a format that can be read on whatever TV you need. I usually set mine to 480p since that is available on all my TVs. To restart your receiver, you can do one of the following:

• Using the remote control, select Menu -> Help & Settings -> Setup -> Reset, and then choose Restart Recorder. You will also need to press the DASH (-) key to confirm. This is the safest way to do a reset.
  • If the Menu reset fails, then try a Red Button Reset (RBR). Press the Red Button behind the access card door on the front of the receiver.
  • If all else fails and you are unable to initiate the download process, you may need to unplug the receiver from the wall outlet, wait for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.
Once you have restarted your recorder, make sure you stick around. In a few seconds, you will need to type in a special code to start the download process:

1. When the reset process starts, the LEDs on the front of the receiver will turn off.
  2. Once the LEDs on the front of the receiver illuminate again *OR* the the first blue screen is displayed (whichever comes first), you can start keying in the special code. I prefer using the LED if you can see the receiver. If you do this remotely over Slingbox or from another room, you have to wait for the first blue screen to appear.
  3. Press 0 2 4 6 8. You will need to press the keys slowly and deliberately. An easy way to think of this is zero-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, four-one-thousand, six-one-thousand, eight-one-thousand. Make sure that you ONLY type in the 5 numbers and nothing else.
  4. After a few more seconds, you should see a screen that indicates that the download process has started.
  5. Now, just sit back and relax as the update process will take about 15 minutes to complete. It may appear to "stick" at 97%, this is normal.

Note: Do not restart the system again after the download process is complete. The normal download process includes an automated restart which is desired, but additional restarts are unnecessary and only serve to taint the debug process.

Note: If you reach the screen that says "checking satellite settings step 1 of 2" BEFORE you see an indication that the new software is downloading, then you will need to start over. The downloading screen should show up within a few seconds (it's not immediate). If it does go too far, then a Red Button Reset should make it start over without going through the entire startup process.

I forgot to mention the process goes better with a few beers on hand.

Thanks again, trying it now. The new software is listed as (0168) Is that the newest update, or should I check again later for the latest beta version?

Have you heard of any others having this similar problem (particularly the DVR functions stop working)? Just wondering.

Thanks again for the help. Downloaded the new update. I'll let you know how it works out.

jay, i had an hr20-100 fail the same day it was installed....took me a few days to discover. it was recording but when i went to playback, all i got was a blank screen! the tech, who came and replaced the unit, said alot of the hr20-100's are failing immediately.

Did they replace your unit? I am already on my second brand new one. When they replaced yours, did you new function o.k.? I hope I don't have to get another one, I went through hell getting the last one.

jay, my second unit is fine but its an hr20-700. it sounds like if your second unit is doing the same as the first, you should have a conversation with tech support.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts