Problems with Installation of DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aamoore

Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
washington dc area
I am new to the forum, and hopefully (not to insult anyone) will not need to be on here for long.
My hubby and I have had DTV for about 5 years. When we moved in, there was no cable, so we had no choice.
Recently, we decided to upgrade to the DVR service. When the guy came to install the device, he told us he could not run a second wire because of the firewall in the house, and I mean a physical thing, not the firewall for computer security.
So, he said we should order a SWiM dish. I looked into them, and his suggestion seemed reasonable.
So, I tried calling DTV to ask for them to do it, and the guy set up my order.
I looked on my account on line, and the equipment they listed as needing to be installed was not a SWiM. So, I called. The first guy told me that I did NOT need a SWiM and even if I did, they couldn't install it anyway. The next guy, who was supposed to be a supervisor, was even more annoying than the first guy. So, I e mailed a complaint and told them if I can't get my record while watching something else, I was going to switch over to cable.
So, does anyone have any clue what the truth is here? Can a SWiM do what a normal dish does with two wires, and if so, why can't I use one? Or, was the first guy wrong?
Alicia

It's SWM, single wire multiswitch.

Well, That is what a SWM is all about. It does everything on 1 wire that used to need 2. BUT, you need a new SMW capable dish, a SMW multiswitch (if you have more than 4 receivers) and ALL your receivers have to be SWM capable. You cannot mix-n-match.

If you're willing to pay for it, then I see no reason for them to deny you. If you want them to pay for some/all, then they may have an issue if you don't NEED a SWM setup. You can always buy a dish elsewhere (ebay, local store, local installer, internet, etc.) and have an installer of your choice hook it up. It sounds like you're trying to get D* to swap you over and cover some of the costs (replace older receivers, etc.) and that's probably why they balked.

Call DirecTV, ask for retention. Explain to them your problem. If your serious about switching to cable, they will do their best to help you out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts