Problems with locals in zip 24977

alha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
WV
I am trying to help my mother-in-law add local channels on her Dish account. There seems to be some issue though and she keeps getting told they are not available.

Some of the reasons given by Dish have been:

1) The locals are not available in her zip code.

She lives in a rural area on there is only one set of locals that would be available, and that would include locals such as WVVA and WOAY. Others that have Dish and live close to her get the locals, but somehow they said that zip 24977 does not. It does not seem to make any sense as it is a small isolated zip.

2) When pushed on the zip code issue, they claim it is really a line of sight issue. I am not sure what they are saying here as her house is basically in the middle of a field. There is no line of sight issue anywhere.

It is very frustrating to call and try to just add her normal local channels. (no waivers or anything like that) and keep being told that she cannot add them for some reason, when her neighbors have them. I am assuming there is some type of glitch somewhere but just keep getting told "that's the way it is"

Can anyone offer any help/suggestions

Thanks

Last edited:
Wasn't Bluefield locals recently added to Dish? It could depend on the receiver(s) model & what arc she is on. It may require an upgrade.

Welcome to the site. Maybe 1 of the dish reps on here will chime in & give you the scoop.

These are locals for her;
Bluefield, WV - ABC (WOAY) HD
HD.gif
Bluefield, WV - CBS (WVNS) HD
HD.gif
Bluefield, WV - CW (WVVA2)
SD.gif
Bluefield, WV - FOX (WVNSD) HD
HD.gif
Bluefield, WV - IND (WLFB)
SD.gif
Bluefield, WV - NBC (WVVA) HD
HD.gif
Bluefield, WV - PBS (WSWP) HD

Sports is Root Sports Pittsburgh.

She needs the FULL Eastern Arc, 61.5/72/77.
If she needs anything added to get the locals it is very likely DISH will do it for free.

I am trying to help my mother-in-law add local channels on her Dish account. There seems to be some issue though and she keeps getting told they are not available.

Some of the reasons given by Dish have been:

1) The locals are not available in her zip code.

She lives in a rural area on there is only one set of locals that would be available, and that would include locals such as WVVA and WOAY. Others that have Dish and live close to her get the locals, but somehow they said that zip 24977 does not. It does not seem to make any sense as it is a small isolated zip.

2) When pushed on the zip code issue, they claim it is really a line of sight issue. I am not sure what they are saying here as her house is basically in the middle of a field. There is no line of sight issue anywhere.

It is very frustrating to call and try to just add her normal local channels. (no waivers or anything like that) and keep being told that she cannot add them for some reason, when her neighbors have them. I am assuming there is some type of glitch somewhere but just keep getting told "that's the way it is"

Can anyone offer any help/suggestions

Thanks

Once you post a few more times, you can contact DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team). They are Dish reps who, as part of their job, monitor this site and answer questions. I'm a Dish employee, but not at work, and can't field questions from the site, they can. When on the main forum page, at the bottom, it shows who is online, DIRT reps are in red. Pretty sure you have to have at least 5 posts before you can send them a private message.

You're getting crappy answers from the CSRs you're talking to. Only issue I can see, and I seriously doubt the CSRs are checking it, would be the size of the spot beam for the Bluefield DMA. I'm hoping someone here can check that, but I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it.

EDIT--EDIT--EDIT

It appears that some or all of the locals are on the 77 satellite. I know in a lot of EA markets, the dish is only set up to get 61.5 and 72, and not 77. Do this: Go to Menu 6-1-3, let that run, and report back what satellites are listed on Line G.

Last edited:
I will be at her house tomorrow and I will do that. I am in Ohio at the moment.

I appreciate the ideas so far. After about 5 phone calls and no progress, I at least feel like I am getting somewhere.

Alan

Follow up to original poster, did you get to check Menu-6-1-3? Bluefield DMA locals are all on the 77 satellite, transponder 21. A lot of southern WV dishes are just set up for 72/61.5, especially in the Charleston DMA, they don't need the 77 orbital (unless they're planning on adding a Latino package). Dishes in the Bluefield DMA have to have 77/72/61.5 to get all the programming.

I finally made it to my mother-in-laws house. The information I pulled from the receiver is.

Dish 322
Software L777
Status Good

Satellite
119 (green bar under it)
110 (green bar under it)
129 (green bar under it)

Is that the information that you needed?

If she needs to be moved to a different satellite, what is the process?

Thanks.

Alan

Yep, that is a standard definition recevier and you won't be able to use the EA signal with that box. You need an HD receiver. I would have her contact Dish and if shes in a location that needs EA for locals but has an SD receiver, she may be able to get a free upgrade for that.

I guess I should try to contact one of the Dish reps on the forum based on the information that everyone has given me.

What is really frustrating is that in one of the 5 phone calls I have made to Dish, that someone would have been a little more helpful other than giving me answers like, "the locals are not available in your zip, the FCC sets those and there is nothing we can do about it"

Thanks again for all the ideas everyone.

Let me know if there are any other ideas or ways I need to approach Dish.

Alan

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/c..._results&_ga=1.126742664.443689692.1386105543

Put your zipcode in there and you'll see that the locals are available. I would chat in or work with a DIRT rep. I would just let them know that the locals for your area are on EA only (HD receivers only) and then ask them to check and see if you have some sort of receiver upgrade to get an HD model because your locals are only on available MPEG4 equipment. They should be able to get you taken care of pretty easily.

I guess I should try to contact one of the Dish reps on the forum based on the information that everyone has given me.

What is really frustrating is that in one of the 5 phone calls I have made to Dish, that someone would have been a little more helpful other than giving me answers like, "the locals are not available in your zip, the FCC sets those and there is nothing we can do about it"

Thanks again for all the ideas everyone.

Let me know if there are any other ideas or ways I need to approach Dish.

Alan

That is your best bet & least frustrating way to get it done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts