Problems with Signal ever since install last November

pdxracer

Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Had our Dish installed on side of house near roof last November, and we have always had sporadic outages but since roommate and I travel a lot, never thought much about it.

The biggest problem is local channels, and getting three different error messages of complete signal loss. (003, 036, etc).

Finally called tech support yesterday, and they helped me check signal strength, and its only reading 10-15% at best. This explains all the pixelation and tuning problems with our local channels, and a select few of the cable channels.

They want to charge $95 for a tech to come out and realign the Dish. (or do the 5 month service for $6 and $15 per tech visit)

This Dish is mounted very sturdy on side of house, with nothing blocking it as we are at top of hill. The tech on phone agreed with me, that the Installer probably did not install it correctly, as there is no way the Dish could have moved or changed angle/azimuth by itself.

What is my solution here?

We feel like we should not have to fork out the $$ for a failed installation on their part. It would be easier to switch to DirecTV and a free install and equipment at this point.

That or try to repoint the Dish myself, but know its a very fine tuned process.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Just go to the point dish screen, turn tv up so you can hear the tone outside or use cell phones, loosen elevation bolts and move dish up or down while listening to the tone. If tone drops go the other way. after getting the tone pitch as high as possible tighten down the elevation bolts. Loosen the azimuth bolts and Slowly move dish from side to side a very small amount while listening to the tone, when you get the loudest pitch possible lock down the bolts. You should be good to go.

There are several things that could be wrong.

If the mount is truly sound and there aren't any obstructions, dialing in the dish is easy and doesn't require any specialized tools. The key is to mark the current settings with a fine permanent marker or scribe in case you make it worse.

It would be very helpful to know if you're system is standard definition or high definition. SD is cake and HD is just a little more delicate.

If you have an HD system, you also have the workaround of plugging in a small TV antenna to get most of the channels that DISH offers plus a surprising number more. Living atop a hill in Lake O has that benefit.

I wouldn't loosen any bolts first. A slight tug on the dish side to side or up or down can give yo a direction to go then loosen the bolts and move it slightly. The dish mounting may seem solid but I have realigned (less than 1 degree) dishes that are "solid". The house or pole doesn't have to settle much to give you week signal

Loosen the azimuth bolts and Slowly move dish from side to side a very small amount while listening to the tone, when you get the loudest pitch possible lock down the bolts. You should be good to go.
You meant (as you noted earlier) highest pitch, not loudest.

PM one of the Dirt team. They may be able to help. I had my roof done earlier this year. Roofer put the dish back up. Was close but just off. One of the Dirt team, Zach I think, arranged for a tech visit at no charge.

You waited 10 months before you thought you might have a problem. Dish only warrantys the installation for 90 days why do you think after 10 months you should still get a free service call? $15 for a service call isn't that bad and you can cancel at any time but there will be a penalty for not keeping the service contract for 5 months.