Problems With Snow Leopard & Panic

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I don't know if this has been brought up before,but I'm having problems with Panic always seeming to come up when I boot up my iMac. I have had Snow Leopard installed when it first came out. I honestly don't know why it keeps going into panic mode. I've used the disk utility from the install disc & I've used system restore twice(right now is the second time I used system restore). I obviously am not computer savvy. If someone was to ask me if I could recreate the problem causes the panic,I can only say,"every time I boot up it seems like." Sometimes I'll have three panics in a role with each reboot. It is the most vexing thing & I end up putting cursing rants into the comment part of the report sent to Apple for each computer shut down due to panic. I just want the damn thing to work without headaches or "Panic."

Boot into single user mode Hold down cmd + S at boot up
Then try running the fsck -fy command at the prompt and it will scan and try to rebuild to fix the Panic Kext

I finished my system restore & now my computer will not let me log in. I'm using file vault & it keeps saying that because of an error It can't let me log on. I've had nothing but problems with Snow Leopard. It wouldn't let me use my Netgear WG111v3 Wireless USB Adapter. I had problems with my Norton Anti-virus,etc....... God,I just unplugged my computer & put it in the corner,I'm so fed up with it.

I finished my system restore & now my computer will not let me log in. I'm using file vault & it keeps saying that because of an error It can't let me log on. I've had nothing but problems with Snow Leopard. It wouldn't let me use my Netgear WG111v3 Wireless USB Adapter. I had problems with my Norton Anti-virus,etc....... God,I just unplugged my computer & put it in the corner,I'm so fed up with it.

I'm not having your level of problems, buy I have to admit that I never had any problems until I installed Snow Leopard, and I am now periodically rebooting, hanging programs and having unexplained slowdowns. This puppy was NOT soup yet.

I'm not having your level of problems, buy I have to admit that I never had any problems until I installed Snow Leopard, and I am now periodically rebooting, hanging programs and having unexplained slowdowns. This puppy was NOT soup yet.

As far as your slowness goes,I'd suggest checking if your computer is 32 bit only.You can go through all of your programs on your computer in Applications & Utility & the ones that you can run in 32 bit,you should check them. Also,if you have MacPilot,you can put Python in 32 bit. That speeded up my computer when it worked. I think my main problem was programs that ran well on Leopard became incompatable when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Probably if I had bought a brand new computer with Snow Leopard already installed,instead of installing it on a two year old computer(It originally had Tiger installed). I refurbished it because it broke down & upgraded it to Leopard with increased memory & hard drive storage. I worked great until I installed Snow Leopard. I never saw Panic on my computer until I installed Snow Leopard(I never even knew that you could "safe boot" an Apple computer until my Snow Leopard problems).

Since I can't log on now to my Mac because the screen says there is an error when I try,how can I just erase my hard drive & start from scratch. I have everything backed up already on my external hard drive under "time machine." My computer says that there is an error in logging in because I use file vault. There is nothing on my computer that can't be easily replaced & my Snow Leopard install CD in stuck in my CD drive with me unable to eject it.

boot the computer holding the C key. That will boot from the install CD.

That actually worked the first time. I did that,erased my hard drive,reinstalled Snow Leopard,transferred my data from my external hard drive from time machine,& I unfortunately also transferred over my "error ridden" file vault password & I'm back in the same boat. My computer will not allow me to boot with the C key pushed down to get back to the install CD. I've tried & I keep getting the sign in screen. How can I get to the admin (root) screen? This sucks so bad.

Well,thanks to advise from Apple Support Community Forum,I was able to get into my computer,erase my hard drive,& reinstall Snow Leopard without having to replace my hard drive. I was wise enough this time to only transfer my apps from my Time Machine to prevent my not being able to log onto my computer & into my account.

First advise was to start up my computer holding down my left mouse click & that ejected my Snow Leopard install disc. Next advise was to boot up holding down my option button at the chime. That got me into the start-up disk manager & I was able to insert my Snow Leopard disc & reinstall it. Later I transferred apps only from Time Machine & I'm on my iMac now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)