Problems with some Transponders on 97

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjmaster

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
Hello,

I am having problems picking up some channels on 97 west and wanted to see if anyone can offer assistance or advice to troubleshoot the issue? The odd thing about it is that the problems seem intermittant. Some days they work and some days they do not. I went on the roof and the connections look visibly fine and not corroded as far as I can tell. The setup has been fine for several years and the problems only started in the last few weeks.

Problem transponders on 97 west Galaxy 19 (with some channels from the transponder):
12053V (Press TV)
11789V (MHZ Worldviev, Syrian Drama, KTV2, KTV3)
11836V (Daystar TV, AlAlam, Tunis7)

Good transponders (Working channels):
12152H (AlJazeera Engish, Russia Today)
12177V (JCTV)

The setup is a 30 inch winegard dish with a standard dual linear LNB. Both lines from the LNB go to a multi-switch and then outputs to 4 receivers. There is a disqec switch in line between the receiver and multiswitch that connects to a different dish. The problem seems to be consistent across more than one receiver, but it's hard to tell because the problem is intermittant. Lately transponder 12053V has been out almost exclusively. I have a captiveworks 600s reciever. Like I said the system has been rock solid for several years, just wondering what could be the problem? Any help or troubleshooting suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also this setup is in North Jersey and my Dad has been having similiar problems with his setup in South Jersey. Could this be just a coincidence or is something up with the bird itself?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm in Northern CA with identical problems using a DirecWay23x39" dish with stock LNB. The performance from 97W has degraded significantly, so I will try tweaking the aim. The Azcar training channel is still coming in strong, though.

sounds like satellite issues. I get all those channels in with no issues here in Minnesota but its very possible there may have been some uplink issues

I'm getting those channels on 97w fine at the moment.

But there could be intermittent problems with the satellite or the uplink that I have been lucky enough not to catch.

I am using a 76cm Winegard dish with a 4X1 Diseqc switch and about 110 feet of RG-6.

I have noticed that it is unfortunately "normal" for individual channels and transponders to vary significantly in signal quality. There can be many reasons for this, most of them beyond our control.

If you feel that the problem is on your end, in my experience intermittent trouble is most likely caused by bad weather, bad connections, bad switches, or bad coax, in that order.

Make sure you have good clean coax connections, use silicone dielectric grease on all outdoor connections, and ground your Diseqc switch to earth. If you still have intermittent problems try wiggling your coax cable while someone monitors reception. If you suspect a switch, connect directly and bypass it to test.

Hope this helps.

I fixed my problem. The elevation bolts were not tight enough and even though I had removed the transmitter/feed from the DirecWay dish, the LNB arm is still heavy, so it drifted down. I just scanned in 235TV and 133Radio channels on an SV4000. Azcar training(PIT) is now S62 Q98.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)