Problems with Vonage and 301 and 501

Inside

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I am finding that my receivers are making multiple attempts to connect each month, eventually they all make it but sometimes it can go on for a couple of days before they do. I have set *99 as the dialout prefix but it has not made a noticable difference.

I think the problem is my DSL line is not the best in the world and suffers from packet loss at times, although the voice quality of Vonage sounds pretty good all the time.

I also notice that the phone icons on the sys info screen of the receivers that have not yet connected successfully are red although the receivers pass the dial tone diagnostic test. The receiver that has connected successfully has a green icon. Is this normal?

Any hints?

Are you using the highest quality codec? I too have a 301 and 501 and had zero problems with Phonom, Broadvox Direct, and SunRocket. From all I've read e.g. on the VoIP forums at http://dslreports.com, other Vonage users have no trouble. I'm about to have trouble with ViaTalk though, from what I hear...

Well I can't speak for the two receivers you mention, but I know I had vonage when I had a 522, then a 622 and a 211. None of them had any problems with vonage or dialing out. I never had to use any special prefixes.

I am finding that my receivers are making multiple attempts to connect each month, eventually they all make it but sometimes it can go on for a couple of days before they do. I have set *99 as the dialout prefix but it has not made a noticable difference.

I think the problem is my DSL line is not the best in the world and suffers from packet loss at times, although the voice quality of Vonage sounds pretty good all the time.

I also notice that the phone icons on the sys info screen of the receivers that have not yet connected successfully are red although the receivers pass the dial tone diagnostic test. The receiver that has connected successfully has a green icon. Is this normal?

Any hints?

Ok, Goto www.testyourvoip.com and do a test for boston. Boston is closest to the vonage center. Next have you played with any bandwith saver options? 90k is default and 30k is lowest. But if your losing packets, then the data will get corrupted and cause the modems to drop or try a reconnect.

Also since this is vonage related, check this site out, http://www.vonage-forum.com/forum9.html

and last make sure vonage is behind modem and in front of router or pc. Otherwise the Vonage adapter can't proritize calls. Last resort, If you have a QoS networking equipment, you can reserve the bandwidth needed for the vonage adapter.

Good luck

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)