Problems with WoW and AT&T U-verse

IndianaJane

Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
We installed AT&T U-verse but their internet didn't work well with World of Warcraft (WoW). There was a lot of lag and many disconnects. Anyone else had this problem?

What's the best internet service for Wow?

We installed AT&T U-verse but their internet didn't work well with World of Warcraft (WoW). There was a lot of lag and many disconnects. Anyone else had this problem?

What's the best internet service for Wow?
I don't think there's one "best" for WoW. I don't know if you're transferring from a previous ISP that had WoW on it that ran fine, but if not, then there may be other stuff on your end that's impeding your performance. I'd say check on your end first. Make sure all the necessary ports are open and accessible, that other people aren't doing stuff with the connection at the same time that's bandwidth intensive, and that you don't have other stuff running in the background on your computer that's messing it up.

If that still doesn't work, this link may be of help:

WoW Forums -> Problems with WoW using AT&T U-verse

I have played WOW on both Comcast and on 2 different phone services, and never had any issues.

Uverse is a different animal so that forum is the first choice to check... other than that, ask around your area... i am sure you can find some WOW players.. they seem to be everywhere. just many are good at hiding the addiciton.

Undermine server here.

I've had U-verse, dsl and rr. U-verse is easily the worst in terms of lag. This is due to a process called interleaving which essentially exchanges bandwidth for latency. However this should only add about 20ms to your ping. Disconnects are not attributable to interleaving in theory. In practice I have seen plenty of lag spikes and dropped packets just pinging google. I play WoW and this certainly translates into disconnects. When I switched from dsl I had to stop playing FIFA with a team out west. Before my ping was acceptable but after I was making the game hang. I still have U-verse and have just resigned to not be as l33t.

Here's a thread from dslreports:
U-Verse bad for online gaming? - dslreports.com

I've played World of Warcraft since Kel'Thuzad (original server).
Never had any issues other than WoW server side issues, that was back in the days.
I've played WoW, and WoW: Burning Crusader both on Charter cable and AT*T old DSL line, never had any issues.
I did know that AT&T years ago had problems with the WoW routing, but that was a while back, and the issue was supposed to be fixed.
Regardless where the server is located, you shouldn't have any lag issues.
I'd suggest posting this matter in this World of Warcraft forums (Tech Support) I am sure they can troubleshoot this issue better than we can.

Also check your router settings.

I've played World of Warcraft since Kel'Thuzad (original server).
Never had any issues other than WoW server side issues, that was back in the days.
I've played WoW, and WoW: Burning Crusader both on Charter cable and AT*T old DSL line, never had any issues.
I did know that AT&T years ago had problems with the WoW routing, but that was a while back, and the issue was supposed to be fixed.
Regardless where the server is located, you shouldn't have any lag issues.
I'd suggest posting this matter in this World of Warcraft forums (Tech Support) I am sure they can troubleshoot this issue better than we can.

Also check your router settings.

Kel Thuzz FTW!

Lol i got a toon on KT, BE shadpriest might still be in forsaken heroes..... ive been on the wagon for awhile, that game is far too addictive.

But yeah i dont know which isp's are best where you are but wow doesnt really require a lot of top end bandwith. As long as you have 768k plus you should be fine, 1.5 is comfortable for most anything. Ping times are what will really kill you...literally. Nothing as stressful as lag in arenas.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)