Prodelin .92m Ku offset Rx only

Status
Please reply by conversation.

emuman100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Pennsylvania
I ordered a .92m Ku offset Rx only dish antenna directly from Prodelin. The reflector is made of fiberglass and every part of the dish is very well constructed. It's built well and works amazing. I love it. I got the wall mount version. It costs $180 plus shipping, but it works so well, installs easy, and is built like a tank. *HUGE* difference from the Fortec Star 36". Pulls in NBC DVB-S2 feeds on AMC1 Ku. I'm very happy with this commercial dish.

I just thought I'd let everyone know. Data sheet is http://www.gdsatcom.com/Antennas/Data_Sheets/92ro.pdf

It's commercial and only designed for one LNB, and comes with it's own feed which commercial KU LNBs attach to via waveguide flange. Prodelin will sell you a Zinwell LNB for an extra $32, which is mainly used for Muzak service for people who buy the smaller dishes. For a stationary Ku dish, it beats all the cheap, flimsy consumer dishes out there.

Jonathan

Not sure if this is true, but you might double check.

It seems the commercial dishes are measured side-to-side.
So, a 36" dish, is 36" wide and a little taller (because the feedhorn sees the dish as round from its vantage point).

The imported stamped dishes seem to be measured by their height.
So, a 36" dish, is 36" tall, and a little narrower.

That right there gives the nod in performance to the commercial dish, for any given size.
THEN, the commercial dishes are stiffer, stronger, and arguably more accurate.
Often the hardware/mount/bracketery is more sturdy, as well.

And as you noted, they are more expensive.

Congrats on the new baby. Many happy birthdays to come! - :up

Not sure if this is true, but you might double check.

It seems the commercial dishes are measured side-to-side.
So, a 36" dish, is 36" wide and a little taller (because the feedhorn sees the dish as round from its vantage point).

The imported stamped dishes seem to be measured by their height.
So, a 36" dish, is 36" tall, and a little narrower.

That right there gives the nod in performance to the commercial dish, for any given size.
THEN, the commercial dishes are stiffer, stronger, and arguably more accurate.
Often the hardware/mount/bracketery is more sturdy, as well.

And as you noted, they are more expensive.

Congrats on the new baby. Many happy birthdays to come! - :up

I understand what you're saying & it makes perfect sense My ASC Signal dish measures 55"H x 50"W. Dual C & Ku...C band is pretty low, but it's fun to play with My Fortec 36" it roughly measures 37"H x 34"W

Interested

I ordered a .92m Ku offset Rx only dish antenna directly from Prodelin. The reflector is made of fiberglass and every part of the dish is very well constructed. It's built well and works amazing. I love it. I got the wall mount version. It costs $180 plus shipping, but it works so well, installs easy, and is built like a tank. *HUGE* difference from the Fortec Star 36". Pulls in NBC DVB-S2 feeds on AMC1 Ku. I'm very happy with this commercial dish.

I just thought I'd let everyone know. Data sheet is http://www.gdsatcom.com/Antennas/Data_Sheets/92ro.pdf

Jonathan
Jonathan,
You peak my interest, would you mind answering a few questions?

The spec shows the dish weighs 40 lbs. Would the dish be too heavy and bulky to carry in and out of the garrage if I mounted it to a tripod?

Would the back mount be easy to convert for a motor?

Can commercial LNB's be swapped in and out easily?
Mike Lib

Can commercial LNB's be swapped in and out easily?

If the feedhorn uses a C-120 flange (which most of them do), then the answer is yes. This involves removing four screws which secure the LNB to the feedhorn. There is usually a rubber O-ring in between, which fits into a groove, to prevent moisture from entering the interface. The new LNB simply bolts onto the feedhorn in the same manner as the old one did.

The C-120-flanged LNBs are easy to locate on E-Bay, and if you don't mind stacked LNBs, the FSS Ku LNB from a Superdish will work.

very good dish i have one still in the box though i am very clued up on asc and prodelin dishes so any questions fire away,

Also to the OP please post up some photos:)

If the feedhorn uses a C-120 flange (which most of them do), then the answer is yes. This involves removing four screws which secure the LNB to the feedhorn. There is usually a rubber O-ring in between, which fits into a groove, to prevent moisture from entering the interface. The new LNB simply bolts onto the feedhorn in the same manner as the old one did.
The C-120-flanged LNBs are easy to locate on E-Bay, and if you don't mind stacked LNBs, the FSS Ku LNB from a Superdish will work.
Thanks Tron,
I am so tempted to make the investment in this dish.
I don't have a permanent mounted Dish, I have a WSI 90cm dish motorized on a tripod and I carry it in and out of the garage when I want to hunt up FTA TV channels.

A nice brand-new, very clean, white 92cm dish is very tempting. I wish I knew if it could be easily motorized. I could mount the dish on a mast that is bolted to a hand truck and I could wheel it in and out of the garage that’s better then a tripod. I could save on shipping as the warehouse is located about an hour north of Charlotte, NC. I could pick it up when I go down to visit the kids and grandkids.

Oh decisions… decisions!

Thanks Tron,
I am so tempted to make the investment in this dish.
I don't have a permanent mounted Dish, I have a WSI 90cm dish motorized on a tripod and I carry it in and out of the garage when I want to hunt up FTA TV channels.

A nice brand-new, very clean, white 92cm dish is very tempting. I wish I knew if it could be easily motorized. I could mount the dish on a mast that is bolted to a hand truck and I could wheel it in and out of the garage that’s better then a tripod. I could save on shipping as the warehouse is located about an hour north of Charlotte, NC. I could pick it up when I go down to visit the kids and grandkids.

Oh decisions… decisions!

Yes they can be fitted with a motor easy. I have a Stab 120 on my 1.25 M dish. Those have the fine adjustments on AZ EL. You would be happy with it I'm sure. I have been playing around with mine as a Mini BUD FTA dish I get 91, 99, 120.9...I can't remember if I picked up a few on 125. That dish would last you a long long time.

Thanks Auric,
The specifications on the 1 meter dish look awesome, a C Mini BUD would be great. I had little success using my present dish as a mini BUD. I did get some C band signals on 72, and other sats but it had to be on a clear day and no rain in site. I would like those AZ EL fine adjustments. I was watching the training video's on solid signal web site for adjusting the new Direct TV KU/KA dish and was intrigued by the fine adjustments. If you get a chance check it out, DIRECTV Ku/Ka MPEG-4 Compatible Satellite Dish Installation Videos

Mike lib

Thanks Auric,
The specifications on the 1 meter dish look awesome, a C Mini BUD would be great. I had little success using my present dish as a mini BUD. I did get some C band signals on 72, and other sats but it had to be on a clear day and no rain in site. I would like those AZ EL fine adjustments. I was watching the training video's on solid signal web site for adjusting the new Direct TV KU/KA dish and was intrigued by the fine adjustments. If you get a chance check it out, DIRECTV Ku/Ka MPEG-4 Compatible Satellite Dish Installation Videos

Mike lib

Nice Site Mike...
I use my wife & a small TV for my sat finder...I never have any complaints from the TV...

Here are a few photos of my AZ EL cap.

The dish is pointing to G23 in this photo with a 69 signal on a 1.25M dish

Attachments

• DSCF1919.JPG
    DSCF1919.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF1920.JPG
    DSCF1920.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF1921.JPG
    DSCF1921.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 165
I'mm drooling

Nice Site Mike...
I use my wife & a small TV for my sat finder...I never have any complaints from the TV...
LOL… My wife runs away when she sees me take the Dish out of the garage

Here are a few photos of my AZ EL cap.
The dish is pointing to G23 in this photo with a 69 signal on a 1.25M dish

I'mm drooling, that's a sweet setup. I like the fine adjustment screws for the elevation. I am going to see if I can get a setup like that for this coming fall. Is the Dish a 1.2 M Prodelin, and did you buy it new?? It looks brand new, is that the polar mount and you adapted it for the up arm motor.

Sorry about all the questions your set up has peaked my interest.

BTW, Nice avatar.

LOL… My wife runs away when she sees me take the Dish out of the garage

I'mm drooling, that's a sweet setup. I like the fine adjustment screws for the elevation. I am going to see if I can get a setup like that for this coming fall. Is the Dish a 1.2 M Prodelin, and did you buy it new?? It looks brand new, is that the polar mount and you adapted it for the up arm motor.

Sorry about all the questions your set up has peaked my interest.

BTW, Nice avatar.

Hi Mike, Yes this is the 1.2, & yes I did get it new. Mine is an ASC Signal brand VSAT dish. It's a lot of weight for that motor. This set up is 50 LBS. If you look at the last picture, you will see 2 square holes on the top of the AZ EL cap. Those are for 2 arms that connect to the sides, where the LNB supports connect. Anti Flex, but since I went over the rated motor weight by 13 pounds I didn't put them on. My LNB support was round. I bought some square tubing to make the adapter for the DMX741U. I will probably get board with that & put a regular Ku LNBF on it. Even though I get good signal on some TP's I get very poor to none on others. Where my 12' dish has no trouble pulling them in. All in all this is a fun toy. It was fun to make the LNB tube & get the Focal angle right. I enjoyed making the collar rings for the motor. Here in the US you see these dishes all over at gas stations, many are not used. I found what looks like an 8' Off Set on top of a local business, that's out of commission. I would like stop in some time & see if he wants that eyesore taken down:) That would be fun for testing C band on. EG Robinson, I always enjoy watching his acting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)