Prodelin fun!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tester239

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
So, I suppose this is actually about messing around with a mini-BUD.. hope it's ok to post in this sub forum with the big-guns!

I've had a Prodelin 1.2m fiberglass dish for quite some time, but never did much with it. Hated the BUC sucking up my other polarity on the OMT. I was curious what it was going to take to adapt it to take a standard WR75 flange.. turns out, the BUC uses a WR75 output! I took it off, and slapped a nice Ku LNB in it's place and now I've got both polarities with a single feedhorn. It doesn't stay too well in the holder originally supplied for the dish, so I'm going to need to get/make a small clamp to hold it in place.

And then, I realized, the transmitter (BUC) holders were nearly the exact diameter of a Co-rotor (or any C-band feedhorn assembly, really). It was at this point, I decided to go overboard and attach a co-rotor to the dish instead. I already had a conical scalar ring, so I just put it on the co-rotor and away I went!

For a 4ft diameter offset dish, it works OK, but I also don't have a good test environment. My backyard pushes right up to another house, and to even get Ku normally, my other small dish is up on a pole whereas this guy has to sit on the ground.

Picks up some higher-power C-band transponders, but not many. Ku is rather solid though! I'll probably just revert to the dual Ku feed eventually, but I certainly had a good day with this set up!

Pictures of the setup are attached.

Attachments

• prod2.jpg
    prod2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 290
  • prod1.jpg
    prod1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 265
  • prod3.jpg
    prod3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 237
i had a 1.8 Meter white fiberglass prodelin. that thing was heavy!!!!. it worked quite well on c band. i used it for the outdoor channels back in the day on G-10R c band using an lnbf with conical scalar.

Interesting setup as I've also got a 1.2 dish that I rescued this past winter and been thinking about what type setup I was going with, already got the mount and pole build. My biggest problem has been what I see as a lack of channels that I might watch that's on the KU side. My orginal thought was going with a multi lnbf setup, so it'll be interesting to see what you finely decide on.
What satellite were you using to test with?

Same dish...but mounting a KU LNB...

This is the same type dish, but using OMT conduit hangers to hold the LNB...

Attachments

• IMG_5888.JPG
    IMG_5888.JPG
    563.4 KB · Views: 207
I've had a Prodelin 1.2m fiberglass dish for quite some time, but never did much with it. Hated the BUC sucking up my other polarity on the OMT. I was curious what it was going to take to adapt it to take a standard WR75 flange.. turns out, the BUC uses a WR75 output! I took it off, and slapped a nice Ku LNB in it's place and now I've got both polarities with a single feedhorn. It doesn't stay too well in the holder originally supplied for the dish, so I'm going to need to get/make a small clamp to hold it in place.

Tester,

Very interesting. I also have a 1.2m Prodlin but different BUC. I've aways wanted to add a second polarity using the original feed. But my feed hangs in mid air off the front of the BUC (see photo). The flanged output of the BUC looks about 2.5" .
What is a WR75, is that what I have?

10-31-10_1213.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)