Programming a Bose 123 with a hopper

Carroll A

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Hey everybody I have an older Bose 123 home theater that I am trying to program with the hopper remote, but it is a no go. I am programming it through the aux position but it is a no go. Can someone give me some suggestions on how to or if it can be controlled with the hopper remote?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sorry. As a former Bose speakers owner, and one who has read extensively on Bose - lotsa luck. Maybe you can get it to work, but I am very much disappointed in Bose, and will never be taken by them again.

Have you tried the Learning mode or are you just looking for the codes? Maybe we can help you.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Reactions: jerryez
I had one and if I remember correct it can not be done. Boss used some kind of non standard Com link for their remote.

The old story. Fool me once and you are the fool. Fool me twice and I'm the fool.
Well, I'm the fool because I bought them again. No way in hell will I ever have another Bose.

Thanks guys I tried with smart mode and by trying a code but was a no go either way. I have had it for 4 years but had D* and for about a year had Comcast.. Was curious.

I have the bose 321 and it works great with the joey, so it should work with the hopper. I will try to find the code I used, its was hard to find because there are different codes for bose under amp and receiver in the Aux menu.

If the Bose system uses IR then you should be able to have the remote learn the commands that you want. If it uses RF only then you are out of luck. I have heard that some of the Bose systems require you to enabel IR in the menu. No first hand knowledge as I belive Bose to be crap equipment.

My Joey aux code is 1629 for Bose 321. Hope it helps.

If the Bose system uses IR then you should be able to have the remote learn the commands that you want. If it uses RF only then you are out of luck. I have heard that some of the Bose systems require you to enabel IR in the menu. No first hand knowledge as I belive Bose to be crap equipment.
Overpriced, absolutely. Piece of crap, not necessarily. I believe their speaker systems are are generally of good design and quality. It's their components they have gotten to cutesy with and I would shy away from.

Disagree with the quality of the speakers. The material used for the cones are no where near the qualtiy of even mid-priced speakers, let alone expensive ones.

Maybe now, perhaps. All I know is I have two sets, 20+ years old and still sound great. One of them, patio speakers that have been outside, summer and winter, the whole time.

Yeah I'm really talking about the small satellite speakers that they have made the real money on for the past 15 years.