Programs cut off before ending

naccoachbob

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Nacogdoches, Tx
I often record programs using the DVR (a 622) and then start watching them shortly after they start, by pulling up the recording - the tv is often on another channel. That way I can eat dinner, cut commercials, etc., and have things at my convenience.
However, since last year, I've noticed that while watching those programs, the recording will stop several minutes before the recording should stop.
For example, watching NCIS tonite, i've set the 622 to record every new episode. I pulled up my recordings and selected this episode and began watching from the start about 10-12 minutes into the actual show. When there were about 10 minutes remaining on the recording, the recording stopped. At this point, selecting the recording again does not allow me to resume, but I can start it over. However, it still quits with that same 10 minutes remaining.
I've found I can unplug the 622, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, and select the recording and fast forward to just before the recording had ended, and watch the show to completion.
It doesn't matter what channel I'm recording, but if I watch the show on a delayed basis like this, it will always end early. And it seems that if it's 10 min into the show when I start, then the DVR will end 10 min before the show ends. 3 min into it, and ends 3 min prematurely.
Any ideas on a fix?

Go in under the Options on your Timers and make sure the default on recordings isn't set off 0 minutes for both start and end.

There is no reason the start-early and finish-late settings cannot be 0 and 0. Zero is good for the movie channels HBO and HDnetMovies because they are likely to be prompt and there is no need to store a minute of promos. Finishing late 1 minute is appropriate for many programs that try to run out as long as possible. Wish it were easier to cause back-to-back shows to record on the other tuner to decouple the recordings--news programs and Futurama--for out-of-order viewing and permanent recording.

More time should be used for sports. One or two minute will be truncated for an overlapping show, possibly with the exception of sports programs. Three or more trailing minutes will not be truncated (YMMV).

I wish I could cut some shows by a negative trailer, like a nightly news show that asks for 65 minutes but interferes with other shows. I have to set a fixed 50 or so timer even though it sometimes only runs 45 but sometimes more than 65.

It's just to bad you can't edit down a show afterwards for permanent storage.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts