Prolific TV producer Aaron Spelling dead at age 83

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
Legendary prime time television producer Aaron Spelling died Friday at age 83 at his Los Angeles mansion.He died from complications from a stroke he suffered on June 18,according to his publicist.Spelling produced a timeline of hits that spanned from the "Mod Squad" to the Gen-X culture of "Beverly Hills 90210".He generated numerous other hits,including Charlie's Angels,Dynasty,Melrose Place,Love Boat,Fantasy Island,Burke's Law,Starsky And Hutch,T.J.Hooker,Matt Houston,Hart To Hart,Family and Hotel.Most recently he produced 7th Heaven and Summerland.He also produced more than 140 television movies.Spelling arrived in Hollywood virtually penniless in the early 1950s.By the 1980s,Forbes magazine estimated his wealth at $300 million.There is a pretty lengthy article that pretty much covers his career at this link. http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20060624/115119426000.html R.I.P. Aaron,you will be missed.

It's been almost a day since this was announced, and most people knew about it.

Not everything needs to be posted. Jon Benet's mother died and nobody posted for example. The Kool & The Gang co-founder died and barely got a mention, let alone a post...

I wish we had done a deadpool because i'd be up 17 points right now for sure...

Well,I guess it is a case of different strokes for different folks,so to say. :) I,for one,didn't know about this until I saw it on yahoo's homepage.When it comes to things like this for me,if it's not listed on the homepage of sites like yahoo or msn,I don't know anything about it.I agree,not everything needs to be posted.But,in this instance,IMO this man was a legend in terms of talking about decades of television programming.It's just my way of showing a little courtesy and respect for someone that I feel has earned the right and deserves to have something said about him.The post about Jon Benet's mother and Kool & The Gang's co-founder passing (may they R.I.P.) was the first I had heard of that.Perhaps a suggestion for another possible forum would be an obit section for celebrities,athletes and other popular/famous personalities.Any thoughts,comments on that idea? :)

Last edited:
I actually hadn't heard about it. What is the problem with Steve posting this Purogamer?

lakebum431 said:
I actually hadn't heard about it. What is the problem with Steve posting this Purogamer?
Thanks for the reply lakebum431. :) I'm wondering the same thing myself. :confused: There have been several other threads of celebrities and athletes passing away on here in the past.Why is this now apparently upsetting to another member of this site? :confused:

Especially since Aaron Spelling was instrumental in the development of the classic American TV art forms known as the "sitcom" and "prime time soap opera" - definitely on-topic for the content of these forums. The two people he mentioned had nothing to do with TV.

I'm very thankful that I know the name Jaclyn Smith because of him, but some things just don't need to be posted. The Titans-lovefest you've got going in the other thread is another example. It's something that should be on a titans forum, but here it just seems like you're talking to yourself at times...

Plenty of celebrities die and don't get mentioned because it's just not necessary. Most people saw this before you posted it, that's my objection. If it had been a little closer to the time it was announced (the day before), i'd have had no objection at all. Just seemed a little late to me but I understand why you did it.

I was never a big fan of Aaron Spelling but he certainly had his finger on the pulse of popular taste for a long time. The chit chat foirum being what it is I don't see anything wrong with noting his passing and seeing if it sparks discussion about the man or his work.

But it didn't, that's why I posted what I did. A day after he died someone finally posted a mention of it, and then despite the constant traffic, nobody said anything in the hours following it's posting. And you know people were here thinking of song titles...

It's not a major objection, just a notificiation that not everything needs to be posted when it's as late as this from my perspective. If you don't agree, that's fine. Just voicing my opinion, you don't have to agree with it...

Purogamer said:
I'm very thankful that I know the name Jaclyn Smith because of him, but some things just don't need to be posted. The Titans-lovefest you've got going in the other thread is another example. It's something that should be on a titans forum, but here it just seems like you're talking to yourself at times...

Plenty of celebrities die and don't get mentioned because it's just not necessary. Most people saw this before you posted it, that's my objection. If it had been a little closer to the time it was announced (the day before), i'd have had no objection at all. Just seemed a little late to me but I understand why you did it.
LOL....Well now,thanks for the colorful,insight reply.BTW,your "Titans-lovefest" comment is uncalled for and definitely off-topic for this thread.Actually,that comment could be considered flaming,if you think about it,would you agree?If you feel a need to call someone out,regardless of the topic,how about using the private message system on here?If you don't want to use that option,at least post it in the thread it belongs in,thanks.That's just my opinion on that matter,and after reading your replies in this thread today,it's pretty obvious that you don't like or agree with my thoughts,and that is fine with me.We'll just "agree to disagree",so to say.If you actually stop and take a good look around on here,there are plenty of "lovefests" of all kinds going on.There are topics on this site that I have no interest in and I simply overlook them.Pretty simple reasoning and logic,as far as I'm concerned.If you don't want to read my posts,please feel free to use the ignore feature on this site,thanks.Now,back to the actual thread itself. :) FYI,a day after he died is when this someone found out about it,sorry if that's not to your liking.Some people simply don't see or hear news in a timely fashion at times,and I happen to be one of those people.The man was a legend when it comes to the development of a variety of television programming that is considered to be commonplace these days.

its the chit chat area so what's the big deal if it gets posted?

Heck, I didnt know about it until a day or so later

steve615 said:
LOL....Well now,thanks for the colorful,insight reply.BTW,your "Titans-lovefest" comment is uncalled for and definitely off-topic for this thread.Actually,that comment could be considered flaming,if you think about it,would you agree?If you feel a need to call someone out,regardless of the topic,how about using the private message system on here?If you don't want to use that option,at least post it in the thread it belongs in,thanks.That's just my opinion on that matter,and after reading your replies in this thread today,it's pretty obvious that you don't like or agree with my thoughts,and that is fine with me.We'll just "agree to disagree",so to say.If you actually stop and take a good look around on here,there are plenty of "lovefests" of all kinds going on.There are topics on this site that I have no interest in and I simply overlook them.Pretty simple reasoning and logic,as far as I'm concerned.If you don't want to read my posts,please feel free to use the ignore feature on this site,thanks.Now,back to the actual thread itself. :) FYI,a day after he died is when this someone found out about it,sorry if that's not to your liking.Some people simply don't see or hear news in a timely fashion at times,and I happen to be one of those people.The man was a legend when it comes to the development of a variety of television programming that is considered to be commonplace these days.

I'm not picking on you, I actually posted in your titans thread multiple times which is why I kept checking it only to realize you were the only one posting in it over and over. It became a titans-update thread which I don't feel we need here. An interesting NFL story morphed into something else. I agree there's a lot of love-fests going on but stick out more than others.

You posted this as news and gave a brief history of him. We all know him and i'm sorry that some of you are way behind on the news but this should have been treated differently. Post the RIP, your thoughts, and a link. The rest of it is just redundant. You can post what you want but you should be able to handle some criticism if it comes your way. If you disagree fine, but there's no need fighting about it.

Purogamer said:
I'm not picking on you, I actually posted in your titans thread multiple times which is why I kept checking it only to realize you were the only one posting in it over and over. It became a titans-update thread which I don't feel we need here. An interesting NFL story morphed into something else. I agree there's a lot of love-fests going on but stick out more than others.

You posted this as news and gave a brief history of him. We all know him and i'm sorry that some of you are way behind on the news but this should have been treated differently. Post the RIP, your thoughts, and a link. The rest of it is just redundant. You can post what you want but you should be able to handle some criticism if it comes your way. If you disagree fine, but there's no need fighting about it.
Thanks for the reply.When you reply to a thread in particular as a "lovefest",and direct that kind of comment toward an individual in particular,IMO,that was considered singling a person out in front of everyone else that may view the thread.As I stated in my previous post in this thread,in other words,it could have and should have been handled with a little more,shall we say courtesy,tact,respect for examples?That's simply my opinion on the matter.From my perspective,I consider it a moot point now and I am asking the mods to close that (Titans) thread,if they feel that it needs to be closed.Yes,I started this thread with the intention of simply stating that the man had passed on with a couple of links so people could get a perspective of what he had accomplished during his career,plain and simple.Speaking for myself,I'm 42 years old with many years of experience and expertise in the logistics/warehousing field,so I do expect,appreciate and handle pressure and criticism when it comes my way,that goes with the territory. :) All I am saying is,if you feel a need to criticise,approach it with some sort of courtesy and respect.I was raised to treat people with courtesy and respect myself,and expect to be treated in the same manner.I agree with you,there's no need in fighting,that is certain.No hard feelings over here,just voicing my opinions.As far as I'm concerned,all is good and this is my last comment on this matter. :hatsoff: :)

We've co-existed in plenty of topics, don't feel bad because this one didn't go the way most topics go. It just didn't rub me the right way, that's all. Like I said, the titans topic was fine for a while, but it doesn't need to be closed. Just let it drop down the board if no one else wants to post, but someone may want to post something in it and should be allowed to.

No hard feelings on my end either. Let's go name some songs and get over this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)