Promoting one subchannel over another

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
So I've noticed that my ABC affiliate WXYZ switched their subchannels around. Now Bounce TV is on ch 7-2 (and getting a lot of promotion since the switch) and Live Well Network moves to ch 7-3. It used to be the other way around. I assumed the station did the switch because of low ratings on Live Well Network but I'm wondering if any of the other Scrips-owned affiliates have done the same thing (or if any of the other stations across the country have done a similar move?)

Scripps has ditched Live Well in three markets (Phoenix, Kansas City, and West Palm Beach) and I won't be surprised to see it dropped in more places.

- Trip

So I've noticed that my ABC affiliate WXYZ switched their subchannels around. Now Bounce TV is on ch 7-2 (and getting a lot of promotion since the switch) and Live Well Network moves to ch 7-3. It used to be the other way around. I assumed the station did the switch because of low ratings on Live Well Network but I'm wondering if any of the other Scrips-owned affiliates have done the same thing (or if any of the other stations across the country have done a similar move?)

I too live in the Detroit area and hope that they completely drop 7-3, no matter what is on it, so they can devote more bandwith to the rather soft HD pq on 7-1.

They should put something up that appeals to everyone, just not just 1 group if people.

That's probably going to be pretty hard to do these days since every channel/website/magazine seems to cater to one niche or another. There used to be just a few channels that catered to everyone, and Life magazine was THE magazine. Now there are magazines for everything (several just about running or men's fitness or video games) and every channel seems to be focusing on one thing (women, food, reality shows, etc). It might be impossible to make a channel that appeals to "everyone". A friend and I were talking about how we essentially grew up in different worlds less than 100 miles apart (white male in the woods of CT vs. half Asian half black female in NYC). There isn't much that could appeal to the two of us, let alone the US population as a whole.

AFAIK, there's NOTHING that 'appeals' to Everyone. It's all 'targeted' Niche markets. Some more lucrative than others depending on audience/area. So they may switch, and switch again, until they get the 'return' they are looking for.

When I was in Minneapolis there is a "cluster" of 2 co-owned stations with 4 subchannels

5-1 KSTP ABC (RF35)
5-2 KSTC IND (RF45)
5-3 MeTV (RF45)
5-4 AntennaTV (RF45)
5-6 ThisTV (RF45)
5-7 LiveWell (RF35)

and they cross promote each channel on the others. You would see commercials for Live Well on MeTV and ThisTV on KSTC etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts