Proper TV and HD Receiver Setup Advice Needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bryansf7741

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Hello. This is my first post and I just want to thank everyone for all of the great info that you provide on this site.

Here is my setup:

I have a 42inch pannasonic plasma TV and the H20 D* receiver. I currently have my receiver set to Native on with stretch for SD channels. I only have the 720p and 1080i resolutions selected on the receiver. My thinking is that this way the HD channels will come in at their native resolution and and any SD channels will upconvert to 720p. Am I going about this right? Any help is appreciated. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best possible picture on both HD and SD channels. Thanks

Your setup sounds good to me!

TV should stay in normal mode.

Format changes should be made with the H20 box.

1080i only or Native mode with 1080i,720p,480p selected

Matt

Ok, Thanks for replying. Out of curiosity why do you think I should add the 480p? Will SD look better at 480p rather then upscaling to 720p?

Your OK with your current settings.

I can't see that SD looks any better at 720p vs 480p

On my setup everything is locked at 1080i.

Matt

i would include 480P as well. If you do not, the hr20 will upconvert to 720p, then the tv will upconver probably to 1080p. I would rather have the tv do one upconvert from 480p to 1080p than to have the data upconverted 2 different times. I do not have any rational for this other than my experience with photography. Every time you manipulate a jpg file and resave it, you lose more data, so my thinking is that mpeg works about the same.

Last edited:
i would include 480P as well. If you do not, the hr20 will upconvert to 720p, then the tv will upconver probably to 1080p. I would rather have the tv do one upconvert from 480p to 1080p than to have the data upconverted 2 different times. I do not have any rational for this other than my experience with photography. Every time you manipulate a jpg file and resvae it, you lose more data, so my thinking is that mpeg works about the same.

I have to agree on this one, especially if your TV has functionality (such as DNIe on Samsung - don't know if Panasonic has similar) that improves on rough pictures... I don't use native because I try to avoid SD at all costs and I didn't want to wait for the time it takes for resolution to switch, but I have tried it, and the combination of using native 480p from the box and letting my TV improve the PQ made for better SD quality. It didn't do the same if the box did the upconversion on the SD channels.

So, if your TV will help the picture and you can stand the time it takes to switch resolutions with native mode on, I'd definitely include the 480p option. Or, at least try it out both ways and see how it looks better for you.

Hello. This is my first post and I just want to thank everyone for all of the great info that you provide on this site.

Here is my setup:

I have a 42inch pannasonic plasma TV and the H20 D* receiver. I currently have my receiver set to Native on with stretch for SD channels. I only have the 720p and 1080i resolutions selected on the receiver. My thinking is that this way the HD channels will come in at their native resolution and and any SD channels will upconvert to 720p. Am I going about this right? Any help is appreciated. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best possible picture on both HD and SD channels. Thanks

I don't use native at all.

(2) of my TV's are 720p; I set the H20 native=off; stretch=ON; resolutions 480p and 720p ON. That way all channels should be either 720p, or upscaled to 720p.

My 3rd TV supports 1080i. The HR20 has native=OFF; stretch=ON; resolutions 480p and 1080i ON (upscale all to 1080i).

I don't use native at all.

(2) of my TV's are 720p; I set the H20 native=off; stretch=ON; resolutions 480p and 720p ON. That way all channels should be either 720p, or upscaled to 720p.

My 3rd TV supports 1080i. The HR20 has native=OFF; stretch=ON; resolutions 480p and 1080i ON (upscale all to 1080i).

You don't need to have 480p set to on if you're not using Native - everything's going to come out in 1080i or 720p anyway...

ONUOsFan I also have a 50" Samsung 1080p DLP what setting do you have on your set since my SD channels come a little blurry, I have Native on to 480p,720p,and 1080i. Thanks for any advice you can give.

ONUOsFan I also have a 50" Samsung 1080p DLP what setting do you have on your set since my SD channels come a little blurry, I have Native on to 480p,720p,and 1080i. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Personally I keep native off because I try to avoid SD at all costs (with much more success now) and don't want to wait for the resolution changes every time I change a channel, but when I was trying to get the best PQ on SD, it seemed like using native 480p on the HR20 and turning DNIe ON in the TV settings gave the best SD picture quality, although anything you do will only go so far, because the source just isn't that good...

Using DNIe with the channels upconverted to 1080i (if you don't use native) doesn't make much difference from what I can tell. If you are really focused on SD quality, you want to keep the HR20 sending 480p for SD channels and let the TV do the PQ improvement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)