Proposed two Hopper 3 Installation

dgcarver

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
I currently have a Dish system in my RV which I recently upgraded from a "pay as you go" VIP211 system to a Hopper 3 system. Rather than pay for it while it sits and my local cable system, I want to use my Hopper system in the house when not traveling and drop the cable TV. However, there are times when I travel and my wife stays home, so I need the capability to have both sites function. In the RV I have the hopper and 2 wireless joeys. In addition, currently Dish and 2 of our local stations in Tulsa are negotiating for 6 months now, so I assume we will probably loose those, so I want to install a TV antenna to get them OTA, and potentially to use it if I drop cable and Dish in the future.

This is the installation I currently plan to install. I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than myself can review and point out problem areas or concerns. Basically, I will take the top Hopper 3, hub, and two wireless joeys with me when traveling. I do not plan to change locals unless my wife and I are both traveling.

Thanks in advance!
2 Hopper Hookup.jpg

Reactions: tornado and LQQK
OK, I installed the hybrid LNB with the Hopper 3, wireless joeys, and mounted the OTA antenna in the attic and tuner and connected. Working great and getting the Fox station 50 miles away in Tulsa now. I am ready to upgrade to the second Hopper 3 and joey. When I change out the hybrid LNB with the older LNBF and DPH42 will I need to align the dish again? I'm hoping that the alignment and setup for both LNBs are the same.

Reactions: TheKrell
OK, I installed the hybrid LNB with the Hopper 3, wireless joeys, and mounted the OTA antenna in the attic and tuner and connected. Working great and getting the Fox station 50 miles away in Tulsa now. I am ready to upgrade to the second Hopper 3 and joey. When I change out the hybrid LNB with the older LNBF and DPH42 will I need to align the dish again? I'm hoping that the alignment and setup for both LNBs are the same.
Correct. Just swap the LNB, and do a Check Switch ("Test Installation") on the receiver. No need to re-aim the dish.

Reactions: dgcarver
I am considering buying an H3 and 2J3's to get the benefit of the lower fees next year. Do you have a good source for this equipment? I wish Dish would offer me the opportunity to just buy the already-installed equipment, and I wouldn't need to buy new and migrate. On the other hand, having something brand new would presumably come with a 1yr warranty...

I am considering buying an H3 and 2J3's to get the benefit of the lower fees next year. Do you have a good source for this equipment? I wish Dish would offer me the opportunity to just buy the already-installed equipment, and I wouldn't need to buy new and migrate. On the other hand, having something brand new would presumably come with a 1yr warranty...
I went thru a local dealer in Tulsa, Graves Satellite. He/Dish furnished my H3, Hub, & 2 wireless joeys. However, I purchased the Bluetooth adapters and OTA USB. He charged me less than advertised prices and also gave me the 1000.2 WA dish. However, in all fairness, I did install it all so he probably still came out ahead. I would suggest you contact a local dealer and see what deal you can make. Also, Solidsignal.com has some pretty good prices.

Just installed my hopper 3 . It’s stuck on the remote set up and won’t recognize any remote. Any ideas on how to get around this.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Just installed my hopper 3 . It’s stuck on the remote set up and won’t recognize any remote. Any ideas on how to get around this.
Put in the batteries? :D Just joking; I don't know. I think there is a button on the front of the H3 to start the pairing. Did that do anything?

It’s the original remote that came with it. The hopper is brand new I hooked it up with a duo hybrid splitter to lnb 2 I received a error saying it needed to be hooked up to lnb 1 . I unplugged it and hooked it to the correct lnb . Now it’s stuck. I have plenty of switches so after I get it activated I will redo the set up. Just need the remote to work.

I have 20 years of remotes I will dig them out tomorrow. What is the best switch to use . I also have many switches. I ran two lines yesterday from the lnb and hooked it up to the duo . Now I am getting the warning saying its wrong. I am on port 1 and 2 from the lnb . This is for a 2 hopper set up . Two hopper 3 and one Joey.

I have 20 years of remotes I will dig them out tomorrow. What is the best switch to use . I also have many switches. I ran two lines yesterday from the lnb and hooked it up to the duo . Now I am getting the warning saying its wrong. I am on port 1 and 2 from the lnb . This is for a 2 hopper set up . Two hopper 3 and one Joey.

You need a DPH42 switch that uses the first three ports on the LNB. See the drawing I posted at the front of this post.

Did you put the antenna on?

You need a DPH42 switch that uses the first three ports on the LNB. See the drawing I posted at the front of this post.
Or 2 ports if it's an Eastern Arc

The antenna is on it’s stuck on the remote part when it first booted it went to the wrong lnb . I unplugged it to hook up the correct lnb than it restarted and stopped on the remote page . I used another 54 remote I have from my other hopper and nothing. Are you supposed to hold the sat for awhile or a quick push of the sat button. I will try a older version of a remote today and dig out one of my switches also .

Reactions: pattykay
The antenna is on it’s stuck on the remote part when it first booted it went to the wrong lnb . I unplugged it to hook up the correct lnb than it restarted and stopped on the remote page . I used another 54 remote I have from my other hopper and nothing. Are you supposed to hold the sat for awhile or a quick push of the sat button. I will try a older version of a remote today and dig out one of my switches also .

You have to unpair that remote from the original Hopper in order to pair it to the new one.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The remote is brand new and the hopper is new never paired ..I have another hopper in the house but that is fine. Any way to do a complete reset ?

Fixed it. The hopper turned it self into a slave for the first hopper I was able to get in through the option setting and realized it was a clone of my hopper. It even renamed itself. In hooked everything and did a complete wipe. Works great now.

• Wow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts