Pros and Cons of Equipment Purchase vs Leasing

rhilton

Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Pennsylvania
Being relatively new to Dish Network I have need of some input from the experience Dish Network Users out there.

I am relocating to the Burgh and I am trying to come to grips with either leasing or purchasing my own Dish Receivers. Specifically the VIP 622 and the VIP 211. Is it really of any benefit to purchase the receivers outright? How much could I expect to save from Dish by purchasing this equipment.:rolleyes:

At first I wanted to buy my equipment, but after reading about all the problems Dish is having with the equipment (and having had a 211 for a month now) I'm happy to lease. If there's a problem, it's their equipment and their problem. Once they get all the bugs worked out I'll consider buying, but not now

I also preferred owning my own equipment, but recent gotchas have gotten me to change my position. I paid $1000 for a 921, and it is now worth 80% less according to the trade in (I don't know how much it is worth on EBAY on average). Since I tend to upgrade my main receiver as often as I upgrade my PC (every 3 years), I will still be ahead by leasing.....

If the 622 holds any long term value, then purchasing can work to your advantage. Also this is if you pay the $5/month lease fee for a leased 622. I know some deals don't charge this ... but can't keep the details straight.

If you do pay the $5/month lease fee, then it would work out like this:

$299 upfront lease charge. $5/month. Let's say for three years. Total paid is $479. If you then get rid of it, you retain to Dish for no credit.

$649 purchase price. No lease fee. Cost after three years is $649. Residual value could easily still be $400 at that time. Sell it on eBay.

Under this scheme, the person who purchases ends up $230 ahead.

The 5 year comparison would have the lease deal costing $599. So as long as the 622 would be worth more than $50, the purchaser is ahead.

I expect the 622 will have a long lifespan and retain a good deal of residual value.

There isn't a huge difference. One positive on the lease deal is that if the 622 breaks, at the worst you return it for no additional charges. On the purchased 622 side, you have no service commitments, so you can dump E* at any time or drop SD programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)