Protection plan question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

IndyJoe

Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
We just had some bad storms tonight in Indianapolis and it knocked my dish out of alignment. I have the protection plan and called directv to set up a realignment. The CSR told me that its not covered by the plan because it was caused by the weather.

I politely asked the CSR under what circumstances would a dish need realigned that is not caused by the weather. After much prying on my part he finally put me on hold then came back and told me he was sorry and the plan would cover it.

My question is whether or not a realignment needed because of bad weather is covered under the plan officially or did the CSR just cave in to me. If it is not supposed to be covered I will never mention bad weather to them again and just say my system is not working the next time a storm knocks out my service. For 7.95/month I think it should be covered.

As far as I know, the protection plan covered everything except for Theft, customer abuse, and moving your receiver to a different room.

Your better off playing dumb like the other 11 million customers do. They call customer service, cry like a little baby that their system doesn't work and threaten to cancel until someone comes out to fix it.

Now the members on this board don't do that, but as a dealer this is what I put up with from a typical customer.

If you call them like you did and already know what needs to be fixed, they fight you on getting someone out.

The other funney thing about all protection plans is lightning. The second you mention lightning its not covered, but if you call then and play dumb they will replace the receiver.

The only time they would not replace the receiver if it physically look fried like it was struck by lightning.

For $7.99 a month, I would think they could come out and realign the dish. It should be covered.

Claude Greiner said:
As far as I know, the protection plan covered everything except for Theft, customer abuse, and moving your receiver to a different room.

Your better off playing dumb like the other 11 million customers do. They call customer service, cry like a little baby that their system doesn't work and threaten to cancel until someone comes out to fix it.

Now the members on this board don't do that, but as a dealer this is what I put up with from a typical customer.

If you call them like you did and already know what needs to be fixed, they fight you on getting someone out.

The other funney thing about all protection plans is lightning. The second you mention lightning its not covered, but if you call then and play dumb they will replace the receiver.

The only time they would not replace the receiver if it physically look fried like it was struck by lightning.

Why would anyone NOT play dumb? Its always better to play dumb with any company, not just satellite. Who wants to argue with some CSR over the phone about exactly whats wrong and how it happened? WHy risk it being my fault? Only an idiot wouldnt play dumb. ANd who in there right mind would pay for a protection plan BEFORE something breaks? I say sign up AFTER. If they expect to sell 1000 dollar equipment and collect over 100 bucks a month in programming charges from someone that equipment had better damn well work!

Last edited:
here what it says on Directv website for the Protection Plan

DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN BENEFITS
We always provide quality equipment, but in the event that something does go wrong, the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN gives you the ultimate in professional technical services for your DIRECTV System, including:

- Covers the cost associated with replacing defective equipment including remotes and
receivers (if problem cannot be resolved over the phone)
- Coverage of wiring, satellite antenna, connections/switches, and more
- Power surge related repairs
- Dish antenna realignments
- 24-hour technical support
- In home service calls (if necessary)

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/packages/protection_plan.jsp

I moved one of my dishes and had them come out and realign it, and it was covered by the protection plan. You should have been covered.

Here is the fine print from the protection plan PDF. This is the form they send you when you sign up for the plan:

What is Not Covered: (1) Incidental or consequential damages; (2)
Intentional acts or criminal acts by You, damage from accident, abuse,
misuse, introduction of foreign objects into the Product, unauthorized
Product modifications or alterations, failure to follow the
manufacturer's instructions, third-party actions (fire, collision,
vandalism, theft, etc.), the elements or acts of God; (3) Accessories,
including: antennas; (4) Preventative maintenance; (5) Damage which
is not reported within thirty (30) days after expiration of this Plan; (6)
Damage to commercially-used products (unless this Plan has been
specifically endorsed to cover commercial use); (7) External signal
interference; (8) Pre-existing conditions or problems; (9) Repairs
associated with incomplete or unsuccessful installation; or (10) Any
satellite dish or other equipment made specifically for or permanently
attached to recreational vehicles, including without limitation
watercraft, aircraft, or mobile homes; (11) Television/receiver
combinations where the repair or replacement is needed directly on the
combo unit; (12) Components and wiring related to the computer
service for integrated Broadband products such as Direcway and
DirecPC; or (13) Satellite dishes mounted to structures or objects that
are not man-made and stationary.

#2 says that an exception to the plan is damage caused by "the elements or acts of god". I didn't know if that is why he was trying to charge me. I've had them out last year because the wind knocked my dish out of alignment and that was when I signed up for the plan with the $30 deal.

I assume since they offered it to me when I had weather related problems in the past that it was covered in the plan. FWIW, I've also had an HDTivo that has been replaced by the plan so it has been well worth the money in my case.

IndyJoe said:
We just had some bad storms tonight in Indianapolis and it knocked my dish out of alignment. I have the protection plan and called directv to set up a realignment. The CSR told me that its not covered by the plan because it was caused by the weather.

I politely asked the CSR under what circumstances would a dish need realigned that is not caused by the weather. After much prying on my part he finally put me on hold then came back and told me he was sorry and the plan would cover it.

My question is whether or not a realignment needed because of bad weather is covered under the plan officially or did the CSR just cave in to me. If it is not supposed to be covered I will never mention bad weather to them again and just say my system is not working the next time a storm knocks out my service. For 7.95/month I think it should be covered.

it is absolutely covered

we had 70+ sustained winds last night here....where my dish is between my house and my neighbors it funnels the wind...probably adds 20mph easilly.

Anyway the wind was directly on the dish last night and it didnt budge (i have a permanent marker spot where i peaked it). My inlaws fence (newly installed vynyl fence) was torn completely apart.

I guess my point is that some people dont tighten the dish down properly....or in the case of a pole mount dont rough up the top 3 inces of the pole (im a pole mount...no way i was gonna put holes in the roof of my freshly build house)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)