PROTECTION PLAN

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How many people buy the protection plans and is it worth the $5.99

I guess it depends on the individual's history with problems regarding DirecTV. I've been a subs since 1999 and have not had the Prot Plan. So far, it's not been an issue with me. I had to call a tech out once to re-install my SL5 after I had my roof shingles replaced. That was not going to be covered by the Prot plan anyway.

I guess it's like insurance, paying for peace of mind or gambling without it.

I took it only because of the weather we get around here. It's not unusual for there to be 40-60mph wind on a regular basis, with 70-80mph or more wind during storms. Given the height and proximity of my neighbor's trees, if something snaps off and knocks out the dish, I don't want to have to pay for the call/parts. I also lost several devices including my PS3 (which were plugged into surge protectors) when lightning struck the power pole behind my house a few months ago, so surge damage coverage on 2 H24 and 2 HR24 is nice too.

I took it only because of the weather we get around here. It's not unusual for there to be 40-60mph wind on a regular basis, with 70-80mph or more wind during storms. Given the height and proximity of my neighbor's trees, if something snaps off and knocks out the dish, I don't want to have to pay for the call/parts. I also lost several devices including my PS3 (which were plugged into surge protectors) when lightning struck the power pole behind my house a few months ago, so surge damage coverage on 2 H24 and 2 HR24 is nice too.
I agree with JerseyMatt. In the area that I live in with the weather that we have and the the trees that are around me it is a good feeling to know that if something happens that I am covered. I have used it in the past and saved more than I have spent on the coverage.

I have it due to past problems with other companies so that if I do have a problem they have to come out and fix it or send me the part. I had an HR-21 go bad that they replaced for me and also needed some other small parts (some DECAs for MRV) that they sent me without any charge or complaining, and an AM21 (required complaining and a receiver swap out before getting it but it worked). You also always get someone in America on the phone and get a separate department from regular technical support (or at least they answer the phone that way) so I have no complaints. Plus it's good to know that if a nice wind should knock the dish off my roof I don't have to go up there myself (I hate heights)

I do since I have D* tv, it is peace of mind. I live in central Florida and we are is expose to bad weather during the summer. So I think it is a most in my opinion.

We live in the NorthWest, Seattle Area, and have been with D* for ever and have never seen a need got the portection plan. In my opion it's a waste of money.

I've seen these threads a lot...

I have been a long time sub since the mid 90's, the protection plan for me has replaced several owned/leased receivers and repaired bad wiring twice.

I consider it a good thing to do, however others claim to have never needed it and that it is a waste of money. I guess it's up to you....

Like I said, I only took it given the weather. If I were still in Jersey, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I very rarely take protection plans unless it is worth it, taking into account the price and term vs replacement cost. It's $138 for the two years of my contract. That's less than the price of two service calls, and less than the replacement cost of just one of my four boxes (2 DVR). Again, with the degree of wind and lightning we get out of storms here (and wind on a clear day - like today it's sunny and gusting up to 50mph), and given the fact that I've already lost several hundred dollars worth of equipment to a lightning strike since I've been here, it does seem like a good deal to me.

I've seen these threads a lot...

I have been a long time sub since the mid 90's, the protection plan for me has replaced several owned/leased receivers and repaired bad wiring twice.

I consider it a good thing to do, however others claim to have never needed it and that it is a waste of money. I guess it's up to you....

Indeed, it varies by the customer's needs. BTW, defective leased receivers/dvrs are replaced at no cost or commitment, aside shipping, without the protection plan. With it, there is no shipping cost.

I'll go on to say that if you have a large install ie: more than 4 receivers, lots of wiring, multi-switches, etc it would probably be worth it especially if you have an older install.

If you live in a weather prone area, or live in the sticks like I do with an unreliable electrical co-op as your electric company, it's probably worth it as well. I suspected that 2 of my bad receivers were due to electrical surges, etc.

Now if you live in the big city, only have 2-3 receivers, etc. it may be a waste of your money....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)