Proton/Mexsat 1 Launch Failure

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mexsat 1 probably wouldn't have been of much interest to the FTA community

The article makes it sound that way, but LyngSat says it would've replaced EutelSat 113W A:

http://www.lyngsat.com/launches/index.html

I was hoping that maybe a fresh satellite would've given me a little more power on the Reuters feed, it's one of the first things to drop out in cloudy weather.

Mexsat 1 was going to be co-located at 113W along with EutelSat 113W A, but I'm sure Lyngsat is wrong about it actually replacing EutelSat 113W A. The Satmex birds, which were sold to EutelSat, are different from the Mexsat birds, which are owned by the Mexican government.

I haven't found much info about Mexsat 1, which apparently only had L and Ku Band transponders. It's sister satellite, Mexsat 3, was launched in December of 2012 and is located at 114.8W (co-located with EutelSat 115W A). Mexsat 3 only has extended band transponders, 3400 to 3700 MHz and 11400 to 11700 MHz, and I was expecting something similar for Mexsat 1.

I do see signals from Mexsat 3, but never any video. On C Band I see signals on the spectrum analyzer, but nothing I can lock on a DVB receiver. On Ku Band there is a data signal that I can lock at 11554 V 30000. Here is the footprint:

http://satstar.net/satellites/mexsat3.html

BTW, EutelSat 115W A is in an inclined orbit after after it's station keeping system failed, but it does have full time video on 12043 V 1522 (a Spanish language news channel) along with some occasional video. A replacement for EutelSat 115W A was launched by Space X in March. Rather than use a rocket engine to get to geostationary orbit from the transfer orbit, it is using a xenon-ion propulsion system, so won't arrive on station until December. Here are the footprints of Eutelsat 115W B, including a rather unusual C Band footprint:

http://www.eutelsat.com/files/contributed/news/media_library/brochures/EUTELSAT_SATELLITE_E115WB.pdf

And finally, Mexsat 2 will be co-located at 116.8 W along with Eutelsat 117W A. It is scheduled to be launched in October on an Atlas 5.

Probably way more than you wanted to know. :)

No, actually, I'm fine with details, especially if other sources are wrong :)

I hadn't noticed that 115W was inclined -- I wonder if LyngSat just added that recently, because I could swear it never used to say that! Anyway, I shall cease wasting time trying to fine-tune my position for it until December, especially as I don't speak Spanish.

113W is of great interest to me for the Reuters feed, and also because I like to watch the Eurovision Song Contest (coming up next week!) on BVN because BVN is widescreen and a decent bitrate, unlike a lot of the channels on 97W. (Some on 97 have improved a lot this past year, however.)

Reactions: N5XZS and lost_mesa
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts