Proved my theory

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I have been running a modified Slimline dish for a couple weeks now and wanted to prove something to myself. The Slimline is being used for 101 only. I put a single LNBF on it for an 18" dish.

Well today I tossed the SL3 LNBF on it to see if I could add anything to the signal with it. It actually lost points. So I put the 18" LNBF back.

I attribute this to the single LNBF's throat had a a larger throat which allows more of the reflectors surface to focused into the LNBF.

Anyway the moded dish will stay as my mainstay. I do really like the dithering adjustments on the Slimline (that is top shelf)

It's always better at least in my book to have the most signal you can. :)

The second picture is the final maximum signal levels on the moded Slimline. The numbers that look like 93 are actually 98 (bad camera angle).

Attachments

• modified slimline.JPG
    modified slimline.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 178
  • SL18LNBF.jpg
    SL18LNBF.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 176
very cool :)

I have a Phase III for my setup since I "moved" and those locals are on 119 so I wont be modding anything soon :)

very cool :)

I have a Phase III for my setup since I "moved" and those locals are on 119 so I wont be modding anything soon :)

How about 2 Slimlines with single LNBF's Ice :)

In the back of my head I keep wondering what my 90cm Primestar would do on 101? Maybe 100 on all transponders :D

I dont think I've seen a 100 on a D* meter......

I know most of my signals are between 93-98 on all 3 sats so I'm fine with that....the meter on a D* ro E* receiver doesnt work the same as a FTA receiver ;)

One must remember that the values shown on the signal strength screen are not equal to quantity, but the quality of the signal.

I would figure the numbers on the screen are a Quality reading, taking BER and gain into consideration. The higher the EBNO the higher the Quality.

I dont think I've seen a 100 on a D* meter......

I know most of my signals are between 93-98 on all 3 sats so I'm fine with that....the meter on a D* ro E* receiver doesnt work the same as a FTA receiver ;)

I broke the meter :D

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 159
but back to the meters
E* use to have a 125 meter....then it got "nuked" (or as I have said neutered) where 60's are the most common you can get on it

D* kinda uses the same theory....you can have a dish not aimed properly and still be in the 90's on the meter

That's just stupid, the meter should have a relationship to what's going on. BTW I noticed the Direct meter is an average meter, it takes longer to respond like the Quality meter in the 4DTV's, unlike EBNO. This makes it a bit harder to peak.

I take the weakest conus transponder and max it out, that's how I've been doing it.

That's TP26 on 101 which is one of the six spot beams. I've seen one at 100. And right now my HR23 is reporting 100s on non spot beam TPs 6, 8, 14, 16, 22, 24 30, and 32. Don't know why exactly, but it's okay by me. :)

Probably all receivers are calibrated a bit different and show different numbers. Time to break out the spectrum analyzer. :eek: I wish I had one :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)