Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today it was announced that the long awaited 3D Update for the PS3 has been delayed again this time until October.

I am glad I didnt wait and went and purchased a new 3D Bluray player last week. (Plus the internet features of the Bluray player are well worth it) :)

We spent some time today looking at 3D monitors. I will be serious about getting one after CES. Wife has not yet seen what has been done with 3D and she was excited at the quality compared to older anaglyph technology.

The PS3 upgrade will be exciting but I'm really concerned at the lack of 3D in new movies being produced yet. It appears that programming will be the nails in the coffin for 3D as the public may lose interest if more isn't available soon. When the public loses interest the hardware will die. Hopefully this will change in a few months. Should be interesting to see what the sat providers do with those 3D channels.

Today it was announced that the long awaited 3D Update for the PS3 has been delayed again this time until October.

I am glad I didnt wait and went and purchased a new 3D Bluray player last week. (Plus the internet features of the Bluray player are well worth it) :)

Did you get a Sony 3d player... because if they haven't provided a concrete reason for the delays, I really think it's to cash in on early adopters... rather than saturating the market with 3d players for free in the form of a PS3 patch.

The main advantage of set top players vs PS3 for any Blue Ray is that the PS3 is a bit of a kludge when it comes to disk control. Plus if you have a 7.1 uncompressed setup, you won't get that from the PS3. Still, at the end of the day, PS3 will beat any set top player, no contest, for compatibility.

How many 3D blu-rays of major Hollywood films (as opposed to demo discs and screen savers) are even available right now?
According to this official looking list, there's about 9 Hollywood release 3d BD movies. I didn't count promos or IMAX3D only movies (which are like nature documentaries.)

The Illustrated 3D Movie List

So yeah, I don't see myself running out to get any 3d equipment anytime in the near future..

According to this official looking list, there's about 9 Hollywood release 3d BD movies. I didn't count promos or IMAX3D only movies (which are like nature documentaries.)

The Illustrated 3D Movie List

So yeah, I don't see myself running out to get any 3d equipment anytime in the near future..

Good link! Yeah, even if you throw in the IMAX, you're still talking fewer than 20. I think the "consortium" should've had more content available before pushing the 3D sets in their advertising. I wonder how many people got the set/BD player only to be disappointed by such a small handful of content. I'm personally interested in the 3D gaming, but there again, we are at least a year away before Sony has enough of a selection of major retail disc releases for the PS3 (beyond the PSN games they have out now) to make it worth my while. Since I already wear glasses, I'm also going to need to get contacts or LAZIK surgery to really make it work for me anyway

MY wife has no problems with wearing the 3D glasses over here regular glasses but may have a problem with her contacts. The reason why is she said her contacts are set up to have one see close up and the other eye distance re focus. While the brain seems to sort this out for her, it doesn't work as well with the active glasses switching. She prefers to wear the 3D glasses over her regular glasses for distance. But her only experience with 3D active glasses has been a demo at Best Buy. She loves 3D in the movies and looks forward to having it in the home.

I'm the hold out for 3D monitor here. I refuse to buy one until there is good variety in programming. However, we both want to add a 55" flat panel screen behind the roll up projector screen to use the home theater at times we don't want to turn on the projector. With 3D an emerging technology, I put the panel monitor on hold until the 3D settles in. I don't want to buy something that becomes obsolete in 2 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts