PS3 BluRay will upconvert DVDs!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I was waiting for this little tidbit of info:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/06/the-engadget-interview-peter-dille-sony-computer-entertainment/

For those who do not want to read the whole article:

"So, they have to make the games specifically. Otherwise, you can upscale. But that's actually another question I have. So, there's no 1080p upscaling for DVDs, PlayStation 1, or PlayStation 2 games. Is there any particular reason why?

I don't know, to be honest. I don't know the answer that much.

Because, that's something that actually kind of turned some heads is when Microsoft announced 1080p support. They also announced that they were going to be adding DVD playback upscaling to 1080p, which is kind of something that is more or less unheard of in the consumer DVD playback market.

Right, so I guess from a Blu-ray perspective, Blu-ray movies are obviously 1080p capable; the Blu-ray player will upscale DVDs -- your question's about why not PS1 and PS2 games?

So you're saying the PlayStation 3 will upscale DVDs to 1080p?

Yes. Oh, yes.

Okay.

That's part and parcel of the Blu-ray technology. I thought you were questioning about the PlayStation game aspect.

Yeah, this is also about PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games that are going to be played on the console.

Yeah, I don't know the answer to that, as I said. I thought that's what you're asking. Blu-ray does upscale the DVD movie experience. I'd have to check on the PlayStation -- we can get back to you on that."

Since my intial purchase of a PS3 is for playing HD movies this is a feature I was hoping that the PS3 would provide.:hatsoff:

I agree that upconversion should be a given. Now it is a fact. That is all I was posting. Some folks might find this interesting. If the BluRay does as well as the HD-DVD in upscaling and can do this up to 1080p than this is very good news for those looking to purchase the PS3 as a BluRay player.

Last edited:
I agree that upconversion should be a given. Now it is a fact. That is all I was posting. Some folks might find this interesting. If the BluRay does as well as the HD-DVD in upscaling and can do this up to 1080p than this is very good news for those looking to purchase the PS3 as a BluRay player.

Who would use a gaming machine as a dedicate player for there home theater?

Might be "tried out" by folks that have it for gaming. If they get a BD from Blockbuster and like what they see, they might buy a separate BD player. Or some folks might leave it hooked up to the main TV and use it for both. But I'd think that would be a very small number of people that do that- mostly where the game player is the only TV watcher, so there's no contention over what the TV is used for. Very few, IMHO, would use it as a "dedicated" player- only the very cheapest people, who would not likely be buying into HD anyway.

Its the cheap way into the market. And the HDDVD fannies out there have no problem going the cheaper way for the lesser technology (MO). I would not normally use a game console as a dedicated player, but when you can get a HDDVD for 200 and BD/PS3 for 600 then that is a great way to try out the new technology. When new players come out in th future that support everythign and produce even better PQ than we see now, then I will buy a standalone player. I think any other way is wasting money, well for me, wasting my moms money. <<thats for those who have read one of my previous posts.

i agree because of the wear and tear on the drive. now with the 360 the drive is seperate and beside audio everything i read is that it is as good video quality as the standalones.for 190 i couldnt touch a stand alon player. the add on works flawless. easiest dvd player i have had.as for navy guy, why would i spend 500 for a unit i can buy for 200 that is as good and a heck of alot qui:D cker. i have read numerous posts of people dumping the toshiba for the add on.

There is supposed to be a very larger upgrade in March 07. Might happen, might not. Could happen this summer. But the fact is that the upconversion question is being answered.

And for those questions about the PS3 being a cheap BD player, maybe some of you should go to your local bookstore and pick of a copy of Home Theater Magazine or Sound and Vision. They don't think of the PS3 as a cheap BD player. As a matter of fact, it is the one HD player on the market with the most features save the upconverting -- and that is coming.

I have a PS3 and I use it on my main TV. I use it for everithing from playing games to watching movies. I think that it is the best of all worlds. You can play BD movies, play games, upload your photos, etc.. on one unit. Why would anyone pay $999 for the standalone unit? I think this is the best unit. The sound is great and I actually like the wireless remote. One more thing, I AM NOT CHEAP! I have it connected to my 52" Brand new LCD 1080p Sharp Aquas TV.

The PS3 currently does not do DVD upconverting. However, there is talk of the PS3 getting a big BD/DVD upgrade in the fall of 07 that might include upconverting along with 24FPS and decoding of the DTSHD format. That is what has been reported on some Japanese developers boards and since I do not speak or read Japanese I can not say with certainty that what I have read has been converted to English correctly. You can look back over Kokatu's game board to find some of these translations.

I just don't see much value in upconverting, unless your HDTV does a bad job of it. It seems many folks don't realize their HDTV will do the upconverting.

I just don't see much value in upconverting, unless your HDTV does a bad job of it. It seems many folks don't realize their HDTV will do the upconverting.

Exactly. If your HDTV does a good job of upconverting it's likely you won't notice any difference (or you may even notice a negative difference) if and when PS3 upconverting occurs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts