PS3 download speeds?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Tried to revive yourbeliefs old thread, but older than 115 days. PS3 download speeds continue to piss me off. Downloading the MLB 09 demo and it's taking for ever! Anyone have their PS3 hardwired? If so, how's your download speeds? I have 3 x 360s in the house, and they're all much, much faster than the PS3 download speeds.

Last edited:
It's so hit and miss it seems, I was able to download Killzone 2 demo with my UK account in less than 20 min (1gb) but other things have taken so much longer for signifigantly less data transferred.

My PS3 is wired.

wireless 360 is significantly faster than wireless ps3 and they're in the same room. other 360 that is hardwired blows them both away

It's brief and feels like every FPS I've ever played before, just prettier (and even that is probably debatable, as PC graphics overtake console graphics again... FEAR2 looks amazing on my machine).

It went from a must own to a must rent, despite the fact that I've preordered it.

I didn't realize there's no coop, so it's just another COD4-type game with a 10 hour single player and a level based online multiplayer. Most of my online is coop with my friends, and not enough of them have PS3s. This has been in production for so long, until now I guess I assumed it would have had coop (but maybe it's been worked on so long that trend hadn't taken hold yet) and a longer campaign.

There's no gimmicks in the demo to really hook you other than graphics.

You can easily download the demo. Sign in under your normal account. Go over to user, and create a new one. It asks what region, select UK, and nothing else matters (may need a real zip code, can use 10001, and you dont need a CC to create your UK PSN account). It took me as long as it takes to type bogus address info to create the account and boom I was downloading. Very quick/easy.

Downloading The Show demo now... 30% in, it's taken 7 minutes, im wired.

Edit 22 minutes in... 80%.

Last edited:
I went from wireless to wired on my PS3 and wired is definitely better (maybe twice as fast if not more). I'd rather go wireless than string a cable from the router in my bedroom to my livingroom, but now that it's there, I can't bear to go back to the way it was.

I also had some issues with streaming video to my PS3 that went away as soon as I plugged the wire in - I think there's something not quite right about the PS3's wireless connection. May have something to do with something I read that said that the Bluetooth and WiFi cannot work at the same time, but rather share time with each other via TDM...? I know we're talking about fractions of seconds, but still....

This is funny that wireless is getting less speed than wired... I assume that the PS3 is 802.11g which would mean that unless you have over 22mb/s download speeds, you should get the same speed wireless or wired. Think maybe it is a bug in the code?

This seems to be hit or miss for me. I'm wireless, and it seems that every second download I do is slow. Downloaded the Ratchet and Clank game last week and it took 4 hours. Others have downloaded in 20 minutes.

Except when server overload occurs, such as new firmware or game comes out, I see very good download times. I was using a DSL at 1.5 mbps (although switched last fall to FIOS) and speeds were close to what you would expect at that speed. Current downloads on fios are at least 10 times faster.

Things to look at include your wireless router, it may be turning speeds down to B rather than G speeds. Try a speed test with one of the websites such as Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

I found there were main differences amongst ISPs. Cox and Comcast seemed to have very slow downloads, while my current AT&T U-Verse is more comparable to the speeds I get with XBL (although STILL not quite as fast.)

According to this crap article, you people with slow wireless PSN downloads are just in a bad place in life.
MTV teams up with Mega Man to compare console download speeds - Joystiq

Anyways, I'm back to the game that makes the wall bleeds and my television turn off randomly.

The 360 and Wii here both download stuff much faster than the PS3 (all are using wireless).

I've stopped downloading anything except required system updates on the PS3 because it is so slow.

Wow! I'm so thankful to find this thread. I'm wireless, using an EVDO router (Kyocera K2) with Alltel wifi. Sometimes the downloads seem faster and others... not so much. I was thinking it was just the traffic on the tower, but now I'm thinking it may just be an artifact of the PS3. I'll pick up a cable and check that out.

Wired using a wireless(heard wireless sucked for speed) Netgear router, Time Warner (Road Runner). Gettin' it done speed-wise..or at least my friend, who also owns a ps3 (on DSL) said. He's the only other one I know who has a ps3, so I wouldn't really know the difference.

This seems to be hit or miss for me. I'm wireless, and it seems that every second download I do is slow. Downloaded the Ratchet and Clank game last week and it took 4 hours. Others have downloaded in 20 minutes.

I was playing the Ratchet game last night and I realized that it took me less time to finish the game than it did to download it. I feel a little ripped off.

The absolute WORST is the game updates. I'm downloading a 26 MB update to Resistance 2 that you'd think, given the speed of the DL, was a 206 MB download. We're really going on about 10 minutes, and I'm on a 6megabit connection here!

In the end, this was about a 13 minute download for 26 megabytes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts