PS3 file sharing

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
I'm trying to setup media streaming to my PS3 from my Windows XP system.

I have Windows Media Center 11 running, and have almost everything working, except MP4 video files. I can play them, but I can not get them to be added into my library.

I have installed the WMP extender and ffdshow codecs, and I can play the MP4 files fine. I just can't seem to add them to the library. And without being in the library, I can't stream them to the PS3.

Any ideas?
-John

If you have Nero, use the Nero HomeMedia or MediaHome or whatever it is called. It will list mp4s. It will also transcode avi-s so the PS3 can play them if your computer is fast enough.

You can use TVersity, That is what I am using for video. It allows you to stream video audio and pics, but i only use it for video b/c it will play all XVID and DIVX and basically any video that you throw at it.

Just download it. Then D/l the PS3 patch. Then add the files or folders you your library and let them add. When the circle in the top right stops circling around then the files hsould be in your library and should play flawlessly on the PS3.

Looks like that works fine!

Now I need to find the best way to go from VOB(s) -> MP4. I'm still experimenting for now.

Right now I am using VOB2MPG which takes all the vob's and makes one huge (but playable) MPEG2 file. If it weren't for the size, that would be ok.

Any suggestions on going from MPG2 to MP4? I'm trying PS3 Video 9 and SUPER. So far, it looks like MP4 has to have fixed bitrate? I'm not sure the best way to do that. I've mucked around with both, and both have simular results. I've tried 2kpbs, but thats not near enough. Right now I'm encoding at the max 9kbps, but I think thats too much (file will be over 4GB). Any thoughts? There's got to be an easy formula that says x minute = y kbps encode. :)

-John

Last edited:
Just to update...

Everything seems ok now. I'm using Tversity as my media server. Then using DVDShrink to remove everything but the video and one audio track from a DVD. Then VOB2MPG to turn it into one MPEG2 file. Then PS3Video9 using 2048kbps AVC encoding (changed it to all channels audio, not just 2 channels -- even though the PS3 can only decode 2 channels now).

Everything seems ok. One problem I have had was with School Spirit DVD. Its encoded at 30 fps, but it is really 24fps with 3:2 pulldown encoded. PS3Video9 makes a very jerky movie from this file. Looks like it is not using the 24fps, but the 30fps source and not doing the 3:2 inverse pulldown properly. Any ideas how to set it up to do this?

Thanks,
-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)