PS3 game for non gamer

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I have a PS3 that I use exclusively for playing Blu-rays. No games. I've been considering getting a game, just to see what they're like.

I've never been a big gamer. Sure, I had the Atari 2600, played Pac Man and had a few PC games. Strategy type games with great graphics. Or "Railroad Tycoon." Haven't played one in years. And I certainly won't have a lot of time to put into it, so it must be simple for occasional use. I've read a little about "The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific" - what do you folks think of it? And Civ Rev?

I know nothing of what is available for the PS3, just seen a couple of ads. I would not want anything that requires fast reflexes. It would probably need a noob level, so I don't get shot out of the game in ten seconds (assuming FPS). No sports, no kiddie cutesy. I don't even know what the buttons on the controller do, so there would have to be some sort of tutorial on it.

Any game that might also interest my wife, where we would take turns playing? Or must I bite the bullet and buy a second controller? Did they ever come out with that "rumble" controller? Or give up getting something that might also interest her?

Do they even make any "entry level" kind of games, or do they assume everyone learns from someone else, and at a tender age?

Would you recommend I try a game? And if so, which one?

Maybe I should just go build a shuffleboard, for future use? ;)

Apologies if this is a thread hi-jack, but I would also like to hear of any games for Kids on the PS3. My daughter is 5 and I would like to know if there are any decent games available for her? PSN or not.

My suggestion is try out the demos on the PSN. If you're in to strategy, they have a new Sid Meier Civilization demo up, plus numerous puzzle games that are pretty cheap. That would be the best way to go.

Apologies if this is a thread hi-jack, but I would also like to hear of any games for Kids on the PS3. My daughter is 5 and I would like to know if there are any decent games available for her? PSN or not.

Stardust HD, she will love it.

Well, I goofed. Spoke w/my wife about getting Drake, and she asked "Will I need to use my thumb?" Uhhh- I forgot she has limited use of her left hand for the next few months due to an operation.

Sigh.

I've been a gamer in the past... haven't had much patience or time for it since having my first child 3 years ago. I totally get where you are coming from navychop. I try games now, die instantly and mostly get frustrated. Though unlike you I like sports games... mostly just football so I'm thinking my first PS3 game will be Madden '09 in August.

I agree completely with Thowe21... the PSN store has many demos and can provide hours of enjoyment. Plus if I get bored/frustrated with a game, it didnt cost me a dime and I can get another one.

Drakes Fortune is cool, but it is still kinda tough for a novice. I think I might try Civilization myself...

I've been a gamer in the past... haven't had much patience or time for it since having my first child 3 years ago. I totally get where you are coming from navychop. I try games now, die instantly and mostly get frustrated. Though unlike you I like sports games... mostly just football so I'm thinking my first PS3 game will be Madden '09 in August.

I agree completely with Thowe21... the PSN store has many demos and can provide hours of enjoyment. Plus if I get bored/frustrated with a game, it didnt cost me a dime and I can get another one.

Drakes Fortune is cool, but it is still kinda tough for a novice. I think I might try Civilization myself...

Play on the noob mod, its like BOOM HEADSHOT every time without even looking at the screen.

Well, I found I had already d/l the Drake demo. Tried playing it on easy. Ended up just wandering around the same area over and over, looked at something like a skeleton or such in the woods, couldn't do anything with it. No time to do more. Outta ideas on how to move on anyway.

Found out that feeding the Insignia (26"?) LCD in the trailer with HDMI resulted in too much static to play the demo or any movies. Went out to GameStop and got the adapter for component/RCA audio. Reset the PS3 audio to use the AV multi out for audio, fed that to the oddball receiver directly, worked like a charm. HDMI still for video.

i second motorstorm.
Im not into shooters or sport games so for me the car driving ones, are great, and you can try and win or just have crazy fun smashing into people and stuff.
Also then, you could use a steering wheel instead, less need for thumbs, downside is additional cost for the steering wheel.

Navychop, I know you said you don't want "cutsie" but as a noob 40 something gamer I've been able to successfully play games like Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (great game!) and Lego Star Wars (has good 2-player co-op, but needs 2nd controller). You can start and stop when you like and save your progress if you only have a half-hour to an hour at a time to play. I did beat Drake's on Easy, but it wasn't easy (for me) and is a single-player game. As far as downloads, check out "Toy Home". Again, kind of cutsie, but no thumbs required.

There are some decent ones you can buy on the Play Station Network including Toy Home and Rub a Dub Dub (fun for adults too!). You can download the demo to see if she like before buying the full version for $7-$10.

The games that are tied to animated movies generally garner poor reviews, so you might want to rent before buying any of those.

Grand Theft Auto 4 is the only game I've bought I can honestly say was well worth the $60 and would have been worth a lot more. The other games I have are okay but I'm just not sure I've played them $60 worth.

I didn't like Motorstorm at all when I rented it.

It sounds to me like you'd be better off with some of the downloadable games before going out and spending $60 on something you may or may not enjoy.

I'd recommend Super Rub A Dub for a game you don't even need the buttons for (also a great game to keep kids occupied). You play the game by tilting the controller in the direction you'd like to tilt the board to get your rubber ducky safely around the maze without getting attacked by the shark. Childish, yes, but very easy to pick up and play, and for $5-8 well worth the price.

A more grown up puzzle/strategy game I'd try is Echochrome. Inspired by M.C. Escher drawings, you have to move/tilt the board to make it possible for your man to safely walk the board and hit all the checkpoints. $9.99.

I also had fun with the PixelJunk Monster games, you do use the buttons a bit on this one. Monsters are attacking your village, and you have to strategically place different types of cannons/weapons to fend off the monsters from destroying the village. I think this is also a $10 game.

All 3 of these games had free downloadable demos (at least at one time, haven't been on there for awhile to see if they remove them after awhile). I would think these would be safer bets for you to try out the playstation without investing large sums of money into a game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts