PS3 launch = 80% Premium

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
September 11, 2006 - The PlayStation 3 will be nigh impossible to find when its recently-reduced 400,000 units are launched November 17. But for those lucky 400k people, a choice will have to be made: go with the $600 60GB version complete with HDMI output, or the $500 20GB/no HDMI model? The choice may be made for them, however, as the premium pack might be much (relatively) easier to find than the core pack.

Gamasutra is citing a report filed by Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian predicting the initial PS3 shipments will be 80% $600 versions and 20% $500 versions. IGN contacted Sony, and while the company hasn't announced the official availability of each pack, it confirmed for us that the 80%/20% ratio was the preferred ratio of retailers it has been talking to.

We fed these numbers into IGN's Super Ninja Battle Computer of Number Krunching Death, and it came back with the following breakdown of premium/core packs: if the predicted ratio is true, it will mean 320,000 premium packs available at launch, and 80,000 core packs.

As an interesting footnote to last week's news that Sony was cutting the PS3's shipping numbers by 75% and delaying the launch in Europe, head of all things PlayStation Ken Kutaragi made the following comment to Reuter's: "If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true."

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/732/732060p1.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts