PS3 price drop effect

So instead of a building wave of momentum it appears that it is instead going to break for a bit, with it being announced that the price drop is for the *now discontinued* 60gb model, and they expect them to be sold out by the end of the month.

In the US only the 80gb model will be sold, and at $599.

Started a thread about the topic in general in the video games area, but how might this affect things Blu-Ray-wise? I wouldn't expect it to do too much, but it is certainly a factor, no?

Sony claiming 88% compatibility with PS2 titles:

The 60GB they had had 100 per cent backwards compatibility. They felt that by going down for 100 to 88, for example, that they'd have to add something in – and that's what they did.”

They are talking about adding the 80gb and motorsport game for the same price as the 60 used to be.

Sony claiming 88% compatibility with PS2 titles:
The 60GB they had had 100 per cent backwards compatibility..
I don't remember the 60GB ever having 100% compatibility. If it did, then they wouldn't have had compatibility patches after it was released, nor would they have gotten heat from having to announce that it wasn't 100% compatible.

So instead of a building wave of momentum it appears that it is instead going to break for a bit, with it being announced that the price drop is for the *now discontinued* 60gb model, and they expect them to be sold out by the end of the month.

In the US only the 80gb model will be sold, and at $599.

Started a thread about the topic in general in the video games area, but how might this affect things Blu-Ray-wise? I wouldn't expect it to do too much, but it is certainly a factor, no?

and in your thread it is posted that in fact the 60GB will still be made, and sold at 499, I like how good news for sony travels SLOOOOWWWW but any thing sad bad against them that isnt true is posted all over the internet

HD DVD player

I was looking for a good upconverting player and came across the HD-A2 which I bought for $210. The image quality is great in HD and SD.

As most movies are available only in SD, for me the Toshiba is a great player.
The HD capability is a bonus.

Blu-Ray for upconverting is out of the park.

I have read great reviews for the Oppo, has someone compared it to the HD-A2 for upconversion?

I was looking for a good upconverting player and came across the HD-A2 which I bought for $210. The image quality is great in HD and SD.

As most movies are available only in SD, for me the Toshiba is a great player.
The HD capability is a bonus.

Blu-Ray for upconverting is out of the park.

I have read great reviews for the Oppo, has someone compared it to the HD-A2 for upconversion?

I had a Denon upconverting player that I thought was excellent until I got my XA1' I ended up putting it out on eBay. The PS3 is fairly good at upconverting since the 1.8 firmware, but I think the upconverting on the XA1 is better. I don't understand why anyone would pay $200 for an upconverting player these days when you can get one that upconverts as well if not better for not much more, and can also play HD DVD's. Even if you think HD DVD will die you can use it for upconverting and rent HD DVD's to see what it's all about.

And I don't think HD DVD is going away anytime soon. The new Nielson Sates report for the week ending July 15 are out. (I was waiting for Navychop to update his Sales Data thread :)). For the week the PS3 price dropped and Amazon bundled a free movie and remote control with the new price, Blu-ray sales lead decreased to 61:39, from a lead of 70:30 at the end of June.

Yep. I haven't updated the thread because Home Media Magazine was late getting out with their issue. Hopefully I'll update it tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts