PS3 security broken for good?

It has been reported some years ago: mature "professional" gamers make a small fraction of a console revenue.
And only this group stays loyal to the chosen brand. The chances that a new customer will chose PS over Xbox
is smaller today than it was two months ago...

Diogen.
Not if they want to use it to watch BluRay disc and stream some live content through the device that is not available on the XBox. That is the reason why I picked the PS3. The XBox serves absolutely no purpose for me. If someone bought me one it would sit on the self and literally never get used as there is absolutely nothing on it that interest me. I use the PS3 everyday for something, much of which the XBox cannot do.

That was my point. It depends on the need. Those differences that cater to those needs have still not changed.

I have a very old laptop that I keep in the garage for one purpose: turn off the "engine" light in my cars.
And that light goes on once a year when it goes below -30C outside. Clockwork. Regardless of car make and model.
The laptop runs Win98SE, connecting RS232 to an OBDII adapter. Could laptop manufacturers survive on this type of usage?

For a business to flourish, it has to make money. You don't make Sony money.
Blu-ray (the infamous "Trojan horse" story), Linux and some abandoned features
(like router) were an attempt to make this one device in the living room doing everything.

It failed. Everybody including Sony (sort of) admits it by now.

Does it make the console less useful for you? No.
But since your usage has no correlation with the console profitability, Sony doesn't care about you at all.
Changes will be made to boost game sales (main money maker). If this can't be done, the product will be killed.

And since PS3 is heavily dependent on the network, that will go too and you won't be able to use it as I do my garage laptop...:)

DIogen.

And to add insult to injury, Xbox-360 stats are looking much better than PS3's
Xbox 360 sales soar as Microsoft prepares to announce LIVE TV service

5793291459_39e86d38b9_o.jpg

Diogen.

You do realize that worldwide, the PS3 has made serious gains on the 360, especially since the slim came out. In fact, since September 2009, the PS3 (again, worldwide) has sold almost 26.8 million units to the 360s 22.8 million.
VGChartz - Hardware Comparison Table - VGChartz

I'm not saying Sony's gaming division isn't bleeding money, nor am I trying to engage in a flame war (both are great consoles depending on one's needs as others have pointed out), nor deny that the PS3 is less successful than other consoles at this time in its lifespan, but I just wanted to point out that North America sales, as published by NPD, only tell part of the story.

Real smart, and when he flips for a deal and rats them out, they'll get an even harder sentence.

Sorry, but this thread is looking like one of the older "hack disk/direct threads" (even using the same arguments) and should probably be treated as such.

This is getting a "taking no prisoners" affair...
LulzSec Hacker Arrested, Group Leaks Sony Database | Technology | Epoch Times

Sony's Developer Network source code was uploaded by the LulzSec in retaliation for an arrest of one of its members.
I think they picked the wrong fight, but who knows...

Diogen.
Can't agree with a lot of what that article says as impact.

As a retired Systems Programmer, and if my former company allowed me to, I could release all the details of our code, and you should never be able to through our firewalls to important info. Problems only occur because of sloppy security design, and of course if a mistake is made in the code that leaves a point to hack. Hopefully the reason that Sony took so long getting back online was that fixed all their mistakes.

...you should never be able to through our firewalls to important info.
I believe this is oversimplified.
If you have to let people in from the outside (PSN, for example), keeping the system secure today is 10 times harder than 5 years ago.
If you use MySQL and it has a 0-day exploit - you will be hacked no matter how smart you are.
If you have just fired a bunch of people (and 75% of hacks involve current or former employees), you are even more vulnerable.
And I'm not even talking about social engineering (look at HBGary case)...

Diogen.

Full Restoration of Qriocity™ Services Begins Today

Tokyo, June 9, 2011 - Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced that Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will fully restore all Qriocity™ services today June 9, 2011, in all serviced territories, excluding Japan. As a result, all PlayStation Network and Qriocity services which were shut down on April 20 will be available. In addition to full PlayStation®Network services as well as “Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity™” for PlayStation®3 (PS3®), PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), VAIO and other PCs which have already resumed, full restoration of Qriocity services will include:

• Full functionality on “Video On Demand powered by Qriocity™” across all compatible devices
  • Full functionality on “Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity” across all compatible devices

Announcement for the restoration of the Qriocity™ services in Japan will be made as they become available*1

*1 “Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity” is unavailable in Japan

“Qriocity™” is a trademark of Sony Corporation
“PlayStation®” and “PSP®” are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $87 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2011. Sony Global Web Site: Sony Global - Sony Global Headquarters

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes and markets the PlayStation® game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system and the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3 is an advanced computer system, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell processor with super computer like power. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

Sony Global - News Releases - Full Restoration of Qriocity™ Services Begins Today

It looks like Sony has about 1 year to straighten out its PS problems. After that it might be too late...
Hands-on with the Wii U: it's here, and it's amazing

Diogen.

While only history will tell, I just don't see the Wii U being nearly as successful as the original Wii.

I really don't think the same 10s of millions of casual gamers who bought the Wii because of its ease of use, motion controller (which was totally new and exclusive at the time), family friendly catalogue, workout programs, and price point are going to run right out to upgrade to this newer model.

Hardcore gamers will likely stick with their tried-and-true 360s and PS3s, which have always been HD and now have motion control games/accessories. That leaves who to buy the Wii U? The people who have to have the latest and greatest, whatever it is, hardcore Wii/Nintendo fans, and new casual gamers. Though there is a considerable number of them to be sure, and I'm sure the Wii U will sell well, it's just not going to drive consumers away from the Playstation and Xbox platforms the same way the first Wii did (which both platforms survived, by the way). And that's just my totally uniformed speculation/opinion on the matter, FWIW. ;)

Hardcore gamers will likely stick with their tried-and-true 360s and PS3s...
Hardcore - will.
But will that be enough?

PS3/PSN has to start making money and stop screwing up right about now to survive...

Diogen.

I honestly wish Nintendo would become a strictly software vendor. It would be awesome to get Zelda, Mario and Metroid on a PS3 or 360 system. I bought a Wii for those franchises. I can't see myself buying a new Nintendo system for the same reason. Too much investment for too little return. Unless Nintendo gets better third party support, their systems (no matter how innovative) aren't worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Nintendo is different in almost every respect...

First, they never sold their console (hardware) at a loss with recovery in selling games.
Second, the lifecycle of their console is not much more than half of MS/Sony's.
Third, its target audience is not (exactly) the same as MS/Sony's.
Fourth, it costs half as much; etc. etc.

Bottom line: WiiU's effect on PS3's sales might be overestimated, but I wouldn't try to predict its own success...

Diogen.

The Wii successfully weaned me off of the franchises I grew up with, and the Wii U will continue to do that. That fancy controller with the screen? You can't buy extras as they'll only be sold with the unit, the rest of the local players get to use wiimotes/nunchucks, or whatever else controllers are revealed/released for the console.

I think the Wii U will be a stopgap for people looking for the next big thing, it'll be up to Nintendo to bring out enough AAA 1st party titles and a couple of 3rd party exclusives to get enough sold before the next MS and Sony consoles pass it by and it becomes 3rd fiddle for 3rd party support again.

Nintendo is different in almost every respect...

First, they never sold their console (hardware) at a loss with recovery in selling games.
Second, the lifecycle of their console is not much more than half of MS/Sony's.
Third, its target audience is not (exactly) the same as MS/Sony's.
Fourth, it costs half as much; etc. etc.

Bottom line: WiiU's effect on PS3's sales might be overestimated, but I wouldn't try to predict its own success...

Diogen.
Fifth, they can only do have has much as the PS3 and cannot do many of the things that contributed to the reasons for the purchase of the PS3.

Fifth, they can only do have has much as the PS3 and cannot do many of the things that contributed to the reasons for the purchase of the PS3.
Exactly.
And all this is the reason that over the last few years Wii was a smashing financial success and PS3 a disaster...

Diogen.