PS3 Sound Problem

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I am having a problem where the DD 5.1 and DTS audio tracks aren't being passed to my receiver on my PS3. I have the PS3 hooked to my TV with HDMI and then a optical cable goes to my receiver for sound. The same setup as my Directv receiver and my 360 and they work fine. I went through the audio setup on the PS3 and set it to allow DTS, DD was already there, and still not the correct sound. I do get sound through my speakers just not DD 5.1 or DTS.

I am having a problem where the DD 5.1 and DTS audio tracks aren't being passed to my receiver on my PS3. I have the PS3 hooked to my TV with HDMI and then a optical cable goes to my receiver for sound. The same setup as my Directv receiver and my 360 and they work fine. I went through the audio setup on the PS3 and set it to allow DTS, DD was already there, and still not the correct sound. I do get sound through my speakers just not DD 5.1 or DTS.

Go to your BD Settings and tell it to pass bitstream thru optical. That is most likely your problem.

I am using a HDMI cable, it should pass through the sound in it.

I am using a HDMI cable, it should pass through the sound in it.

Well, why do you have an optical cable hooked up to it.

If you want an Uncompressed PCM track then you need to have HDMI set to PCM, if you want your audio to come from optical, then you need to have it set to bitstream in order for it to pass a dolby or dts track. this is all under BD settings

Under audio settings make sure you are set up for which ever you are using. from what you are telling me, you have hdmi and optical hooked up but are expecting sound to come thru hdmi. Then my question is what is the point in having the optical hooked up?

Sorry I left out the word TV before the optical cable part. My HDMI cable goes into my TV, then I have a optical cable going from my TV to the receiver. So should the audio be PCM or bitstream?

Sorry I left out the word TV before the optical cable part. My HDMI cable goes into my TV, then I have a optical cable going from my TV to the receiver. So should the audio be PCM or bitstream?

Ohh got ya now. This question is a bit more difficult for me to answer. From my experience, my two TV's work differently in this area. First , set HDMI to bitstream , and give it a shot, then set it to pcm if bitstream didn't work. Also in the menu for audio under HDMI make sure Dolby and dts are selected each time.

If those ideas do not work I would advise you to hook it up via optical directly to the receiver.

After the boys finish watching their 4:3 Realtree hunting video, BLAH, on my PS3, I'll hook up some things differently to see if it works on my TV.

It may also be that your TV can't handle passing through those kind of soundtracks... maybe that output is only set to pass DD from HD OTA broadcasts?

I would definitely recommend connecting the optical directly to the receiver, which is how I have mine. The only problem is that if you want to use the TV speakers some of the time and the receiver some of the time, you'll have to keep switching the settings on the PS3. If you use the reciever all the time, though, this is really how you should be set up anyway... HDMI for video, optical directly to the receiver for audio.

It may also be that your TV can't handle passing through those kind of soundtracks... maybe that output is only set to pass DD from HD OTA broadcasts?

I would definitely recommend connecting the optical directly to the receiver, which is how I have mine. The only problem is that if you want to use the TV speakers some of the time and the receiver some of the time, you'll have to keep switching the settings on the PS3. If you use the reciever all the time, though, this is really how you should be set up anyway... HDMI for video, optical directly to the receiver for audio.

I don't use the TV speakers at all, plus you didn't read all of what I said. The Xbox 360 and Directv receiver work fine with this process.

That is certainly most of the problem.

That works for my 360 and my Directv receiver, but Sony has told me it is a flaw with thier system and I would have to use the optical cable going straight to my receiver which is stupid.

I can do the same setup, but the problem is my TV won't pass DD5.1

All it will pass is 2.0 This is why I have both my 622 and PS3 audio going directly to my receiver.

I can do the same setup, but the problem is my TV won't pass DD5.1

All it will pass is 2.0 This is why I have both my 622 and PS3 audio going directly to my receiver.

Mine does pass DD5.1 with both my 360 and my Directv receiver, for some reason the PS3 has a problem with it.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried switching around the inputs? Wondering if there was a problem with the one the PS3 is on - sorry if you've already talked about this, it just struck me...

It just doesn't make any sense - if the PS3 is outputting the data, why would the TV not pass it on, when it passes on essentially the same data from the other sources?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts