PS3: The First Console to Offer Amazon Instant Video

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
PS3: The First Console to Offer Amazon Instant Video – PlayStation Blog

If you're a Prime member, this has to even better news. I don't have Prime but I sometimes get Amazon VOD movies (especially when they put newer titles on sale for a weekend for $2.99 for HD). Now I don't have to watch via my Roku, which is hooked up to an older, smaller bedroom TV, or my Kindle Fire.

I may even see if I can live without my one disc at a time service from Netflix, which invariably forces me to watch movies I'm really not that interested in just to get the value from my subscription. Now I can just rent the 2-3 movies/month from Amazon that I really want to see any time I want.

Sweet, now they need to offer ESPN3 and it will be my go to device for my streaming. Or the xbox needs to add Amazon. Either way. lol

PS3: The First Console to Offer Amazon Instant Video – PlayStation Blog

If you're a Prime member, this has to even better news. I don't have Prime but I sometimes get Amazon VOD movies (especially when they put newer titles on sale for a weekend for $2.99 for HD). Now I don't have to watch via my Roku, which is hooked up to an older, smaller bedroom TV, or my Kindle Fire.

I may even see if I can live without my one disc at a time service from Netflix, which invariably forces me to watch movies I'm really not that interested in just to get the value from my subscription. Now I can just rent the 2-3 movies/month from Amazon that I really want to see any time I want.

If you were willing to save the money on a Netflix sub, wouldn't it have been worth it to just buy an HDMI switch for the main TV and move Roku to there and/or buy a 2nd Roku?

I expect we'll see this on the 360 at some point soon.

If you were willing to save the money on a Netflix sub, wouldn't it have been worth it to just buy an HDMI switch for the main TV and move Roku to there and/or buy a 2nd Roku?

I expect we'll see this on the 360 at some point soon.

It's never even occurred to me to not have Netflix before now (I've been a customer since I got my first DVD player in early 2002). But I've put my account on hold temporarily to force myself to use up over $25 in Amazon VoD credits that expire at the end of April. I didn't really mind watching comedies and dramas on my bedroom set up, but if I'm going to drop blu-ray rentals of action blockbusters that I only watch in my livingroom, then the quality from Amazon is going to have to be pretty good. So this month will be a prefect opportunity to test it.

I have on a couple of occasions dragged the Roku out to the livingroom; but it's a bit of a hassle. I actually have plenty of HDMI ports on my AVR to spare, but the Roku was my only source of content in the bedroom aside from a few HD channels via cable/QAM. Never really saw enough of a need for a second Roku in the livingroom once the PS3 got a Netflix app.

Interesting. I might need to give it a try, since I'm a Prime member I only use my PS3 as a BD player, and have been considering selling it and replacing it with a dedicated BD player. But this might be a reason to keep it around. My PS3 is an early one, so it can play PS2 games. Ought a be worth something, at least until the new console is released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts