PS3, XBOX 360, Revolution E3 Press Conferences

People at E3 are debating whether the tech demos are real-time or CG rendered. I am leaning more towards the CG rendered myself. This seems to be Sony's marketing stragety. They also did this type of thing before the PS2 was released. Especially the Killswitch 2 demo. It just looks a little too good very slight to no frame rate loss sor a console to be released next year. It was easily doing what alot of high end ($3000+) have a little trouble doing.

The xbox 360 demo seems more realistic with technology today although it's only an alpha machine and using only 1/3 of the power. I think it's going to be a tough call between those.

Forget about Revolution... I have no idea what Nintendo is trying to do with it... Frankly, I don't think they know either.

Edit: Sorry I didn't notice your Gamecube icon...

I think I am leaning towards the xbox 360 also. I think the PS3 has a lot of nice features, I don't see the point of 7 bluetooth PS3 controllers and I definately don't have the money or space for a 2nd hdtv. Alot of the PS3 features are overkill to me. Not to mention the rumored $500 price tag.

mikley28 said:
Edit: Sorry I didn't notice your Gamecube icon...

No problem.;)

So far I have been very disappointed in the Revolution showing (or lack there of). The game boards are going wild with a rumor Nintendo will be showing something today.

The XBox 360 has not impressed me, yet.

The PS3 has blown me away.

Based on what I have seen, I will pass on the XBox 360, get the PS3, and the Revolution is still up in the air.

Anyone have a PS3 avatar?:D

It's a pretty sad state of affairs for microsoft if they lost the next gen console war according to a few tech demos. It shows that they weren't forward thinking enough when designing the 360. Looking at the tech specs and those kick-a@@ game promos during sony's press conference, they sold me and apparently blew microsoft out of the water. It's no wonder microsoft wanted to preview their console on MTV the week before sony's debuted so that it wouldn't get lost in the shock and awe of the PS3.

IF the PS3 games play as good as they looked, then microsoft is relegated to a distant 2nd place in the console wars once again.

the xbox 360 was only running at 1/3 power and is still in alpha stage. The Full Auto gameplay demo was running at 1/6 power.

The problem I see with the current PS3 tech demos is that they look like they were CG rendered... basically playing a movie instead of real time gameplay. Don't get me wrong, what we saw is impressive but at this stage of the PS3 life it is unrealistic. When we saw the PS2 tech demos before it was realeased we had close to the same looking demos that we have today.

Like I said before... from seeing the tech demos or renders which ever you want to call them suggests that the ps3 can outperform a $3000 + gaming PC for a rumored $500

Whether those videos were cgi, or not, is irrelevant as Sony stole the show from Microsoft with mere tech demos. Now the media and gamers are drinking from Sony's Kool-Aid, looking past the 360 and will wait for the PS3.

I don't deny that Sony stole the show with the movie they showed. Yes, that Killswitch movie is what did it for most people. The non graphics features that it offers are very impressive. Sony better pray that the current ps2 gamers will purchase new HDTVs or offer a break out box that can convert the HDMI outputs to composite, s-video, RF, and audio. I don't think anyone will buy a new $1000 tv just to play their PS3. That movie is every bit relevant to Sony stealing the show. If it wasn't then it wouldn't have been the first thing they talked about. I'm just stating that what they showed isn't necessarily what we will get in the spring. When people see the videos, that is what they are going to expect from the gameplay. What happens when Sony can't deliver? Who gives a crap about the cutscenes, that isn't what is providing you with entertainment. Your entertainment comes from playing the games not watching movies unless you bought it for the first blu-ray dvd player. If you are going to buy a new console you probably won't be looking at online capabilities or other miscellaneous features before you look at the graphical capabilities of the machine.

They did this same type of thing with the PS2 and the Gran Tourismo videos. We had high res prerendered videos with spectacular lighting effects, but we got a console that didn't promise the graphics they showed. Besides, don't you remember the same ducks from the E3 before the PS2 was released.... they were the same ducks with a couple of added things. I am just skeptical of what Sony is trying to push.

I was disappointed with the Microsoft press conference because they didn't talk about the technology, release date, or approximate price, Xbox live isn't terribly important so me so I do think they went overboard on that part. However, they DID show gameplay movies. I now know what I should expect from the xbox. It's more of a down to earth look at what gamers can expect from a next gen console.

If they price these things in the 4-5 hundred mark, bundeled or not, I don't see anyone but the hardcore gamers jumping on board. Unless they have some great trade in deals That is a lot of money to be dropping. I know my kids ( and me) will "need" one or all three but they will have to sell off some of ther old consoles to afford them.

One thing I don't hear a lot of yapping about is the fact that PS3 will have blu-ray.

That just about seals it for me right there. Slap a 1394 output on this puppy, and I'll be on a geek line the night it comes out.

I agree.

One thing that concerns me though is the negotiations between Blu-Ray & HD-DVD on merging the standards.

If the merger happens will Sony release the PS3 on time with the new drive, delay the PS3 or release the PS3 with a Blu-Ray drive that might be worthless.

I'm not that worried, only thing that would do is delay the launch while the *pile* of drives be built.

as much as i would hate to say it considering how much this will stirr you guys up, its a good possibility that everything you guys have seen about ps3 is infact real time. the ps3 is using a graphic chip manufactured and fabricated by nvidia, which is more powerful than the newest video card, the 7800gt. not to mention that sony and ibm has been designing and building cell technology for quite some time. just because the graphics are insanely good, it dosnt mean that its not realtime. just for arguement's sake, take a look at some of nvidia's real time demos at their site (link is in my sig in my post below). also, you cant just look at the specs of a console at a glance then determine which will be more powerful. if you know anything about computer components then you should know what im talking about, and for those of you that dont know what im talking about, best example is a 2.2ghz athlon processor and a 3.4ghz pentium processor. yeah, the pentium looks to be faster but its really not because its north bridge technology isnt as well designed as the athlon's. same thing goes with video cards/chips or whatever you want to call them. every chipset is different and its hard to compare them unless you actually look into it in depth. just because someone says that "that one ff7 or killzone2 tech demo looks too good, thus it must be cgi" dosnt mean it is. keep that in mind when your looking at something entirely new. not saying though that some of the trailers arent cgi, just stay openminded.

edit: sofar theres only been one trailer ive seen that dosnt look realtime, armored core 4, which belongs to x360. the line between cgi and realtime is beginning to fade...

welcome to the site lavans.

i think what we will see is kind of what we say with the xbox and ps2. xbox has better graphics than the ps2. most games besides games only for the xbox were made for the ps2 and ported to the xbox (all ea games are a good example). they are not going to make games for the stronger system and rework to make it fit on the lesser system.

it still remains to be seen how much more powerful the ps3 will be than the xbox2. but i think what you are going to see is them making games for the xbox2 and then porting them to the ps3.

that brings up an issue that alot of people tend to overlook. every console has its own strength and weakness. the ps2 has much better lighting and particle effects than the xbox but the xbox has better overall rendering support. when you make a multi platform game, the way the game preforms, looks, sounds, etc. is dependant on the console. when you get a remake to another console, the game is usually enhanced in some way (due to better modeling/scripting/shading technique, more powerful dev kits, or whatever the case may be). but when you get console exclusive games then that shows what each console can and cant do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts