PS3's Does ANYBODY still want one?

My friend is a gamestop manager and he told me people were buying any video game systems they had. It didn't matter what it was, he could have sold gamecasts if they still carried used ones. The exception is the PS3, people just don't have that kind of money to spend. (He's in a lower middle class neighborhood).

Ohh. I gasp and scream at the thought that Sony is shipping these console so people can buy them. What a travesty.:D

I don't think anyone is being critical of Sony having enough supply. I think people are surprised at the demand being lower than expected.

For what its worth, my local target has space for four PS3s in their case, and there were four PS3 boxes in there yesterday. That was the first time I've noticed them having any in stock.

I'm close. My son has a 20" TV (NOT HD), my old XBox player, and a DVD/VHS combi player hooked up to it. His E* 501 player keeps my 622 from getting bogged down in Avatar and Spongebob episodes. My daughter has a 13" Disney Princess TV/DVD combo (her choice, not mine.... she desperately wanted it for her 6th birthday about 15 months ago). POS rebranded crap from China. She also has a 501. Got sick of her dozens of Cheetah Girl and Hanna Montana episodes deleting my programs to make room.

My daughter (7) has a 20" tv (not HD) an R15 for her shows, a dvd vcr combo, had a Vsmile but it died so I got her a Game Cube. Plus she has a Game Boy.

My son has access to the TV in the living room. If he wants to watch TV or play the 360 hooked up to it, he asks if it is ok.

Northeast Ohio here, did some shopping today (was finding out if Circuit City would get Lost Planet for the 360 on Friday) and Target, Circuit City, and Best Buy all had a ton of PS3's, no Wii's though, all out in the open, no way to miss them....

According to iTrackr.com, the 60GB PS3 is available at 75% of the stores they track across the US. The Wii is available in 2%.

I think the pointhere is that Sony's grip on the console market isn't as strong as it once was. All part of the cycle really. Atari, Sega and Nintendo have all been in that position before. Nintendo is proving it can still be a major player, but the other two have fallen. Microsoft is poising itself for the eventual market leader position with the "hardcore". Yeah, I put parenthesis there, because HARDCORE gamers could really care less about the latest kiddy consoles---- www.falcon-nw.com is where the HARDCORE gamers go. FPS's, RTS's, Roleplaying games and MMOs still require a PC to see their true potential. And Directx10 with the Geforce 8800 will prove once again that no little console can compete in performance, quality or versatility.

I almost buy it.

Last night I went to my locals Sears to exchange a defective Gameboy game, and there they were, both versions of the PS3, I even asked the Sales Rep. to take it out , but in the end I just changed my mind. 600(console) + $42(tax) + Resistance $65 with tax, man $705, just to Play Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, (two of my favs games)., well I liked what I saw in Resistance.

Can't Edit Tittle, Almost Bought It , I meant :D

I went into Walmart last night looking for a Wii, yeah I know good luck, anyway I asked the guy about the 2 PS3's on the shelf and he said they have been there all week and there were 3 cases of PS3's in the back.

Well, sales are generally slow right after Xmas. January is a slow month for retail, is it not? It may pick up once some hot games come out for it. Of course, if the PS3 has no exclusives and offers little over the xbox, in graphics or otherwise, ........

If they want to sell more they should lower the price..

I don't think they want to sell more so much as they want to make money. Right now they are losing hundreds on every unit sold. I can't see how lowering the price could help the company.

I guess I can't figure out their business model on this one. Will they ever be able to turn a profit? I guess it will take years for costs to come down enough to make the console profitable on its own. How much do they make off of each game they sell? $20? Do most people buy 10-15 games?

I don't know why, but my area still has no sign of them on the shelves (at least the places I've been). Same for the Wii and its controllers.

Whenever you guys find them laying around for a long time in your area, mention to the store managers that they should move them to some of their North Georgia stores. Looks like my area is not getting the same number of PS3's as other areas are getting or there are more gamers down here than I would have ever imagined! I went to the Best Buy in Athens,GA (home of UGA) last weekend, and there were very few games on the shelf for the PS3. Guess some college peeps came back to town and snapped up some games???

Sony may be counting on the PS3 driving adoption of Blu-ray, and recovering their money that way. Lose some on one product, make more on another. In this case, not only off games, but off BD movie sales.

I've seen articles claiming something like 75%-80% of PS3 owners watch or plan to watch BD movies. I rather doubt it, for the short run anyway. But if that even is half true over the next six months, it's a massive boost for Sony. Of course, I plan to win the lottery, we'll see how that works out. Gotta buy a ticket, I hear.

You know Sony, right? "Be thankful we're cramming it down your throat and not up your..." But I digress. They can take losses for a while, but not forever. The fact they removed the head of their games division says a lot about the PS3 perhaps not going according to plan.

Sony may be counting on the PS3 driving adoption of Blu-ray...

Its funny you say that because I am at a point now that I know it will be years (if ever) that some HD titles I want will ever be on HD DVD. I've been thinking about getting a PS3 for purely a BD player. Doubt I would buy any gave, one possible exception would be GT.

But then I recall reading about there being a 1080i incompatibility with the PS3 (did they fix that?). Since I have a 1080i/480p component-only HDTV, 720p wont do me any good. So in a case like this, is a PS3 targetted to someone like me? Or am I better off finding a full Blu-Ray player as cheap as I can find one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts