Psssst! Want the new Cablecard HD & HDDVR boxes?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Does anyone in the Tampa or Central Florida area get the new box with a remote thats has a finished black front and silver back and side....what will the new purple D button be used for?

I have an all black remote with a green "D".

If you look in the remote User Guide page 6 "Use A, B, C, or D to access additional cable features ( see your cable converter's manual ).

Now I do not have a cable converter's manual so maybe Steve would know.

CSR's. BAHHH! Called Melbourne office today. Last Tuesday I called and verified they were giving out 8300HDC boxes. Things came up and I couldn't go until today so I called first. CSR checked with supervisor and said they are not giving them out now due to "issues" with the boxes. She didn't know any more but said they were just given out to CSR's to use in their homes and learn about them. I asked her if she had HDtv and she said no. I'll call back tomorrow and see if the regular CSR's have another story.

[edit] Just to see I called Melbourne office, Sales. Woman says they are giving them out but the front desk may not have any more, that I should call the front desk tomorrow morning when they open. "First come, first serve." AAARRRGGGHHH -No one knows anything in telephone service.

Called Brighthouse when I read this post to requst the new box. CSR told me that only new activations were getting them.

So I called last Tuesday and told them if they want me to upgrade from a cable card to a box (Brighthouse makes more money) I would do this only if they would exchange them for the 8300HDC.

The installer came to the house on Saturday and installed the 2 units.

I must say that their techs are the best.

Just for your info the card slot is on the back of the box. It comes already installed.

Is any real reason to switch? I have a 8300hd dvr and two 3250hd boxes. So is there any advantages to the new boxes?
keith

Tuesday, 11:20 am spoke to CSR. CFL Brighthouse is only giving new 8300HC boxes to new customers and customers who have HC boxes which are defective. This CSR, at least, has HDTV and the new box. She says there are many problems with box and she liked her old HD=DVR best. Says it take 8 minutes to reboot HC box. She had no news about new HD channels but says Brighthouse is very interested in adding any new HD channel now broadcasting. What a crock.

The problem with the HC boxes are the ones I mentioned a few posts ago, With certain on-demand features not working properly..

and no their is no reason to upgrade the SA 3250 and the SA3250HC are the same darn thing but with cable card slot. So their is no reason to get a new one, except to say "i got a new one"

and Yes the cable cards are built into the box infact have a cover with screw on the back to keep people from taking them out, once you take it out its ruined, you cant take it out and put it in another box/tv its programmed to that box only.

Personnaly I am happy with the SA8300 DVR works fine for me, The new box software SUCKS just my humble opinion.

I thought the federal requirement was to have REMOVABLE security?

"After June 30, 2007, any newly purchased and deployed digital set-top purchases must have separable security. More often than not, this separation will occur at the set-top via a special interface that houses the CableCARD, a removable module that contains the conditional access keys necessary to authorize digital cable services."

Its removable. Not by the customer, and if you do you would of just broke the box, and now you have to pay for it.

Which that law is crap anyway. Why should Cable operators have to buy special boxes? That do not benefit the consumer?

I'm certain they designed the box intentionally so that removing the card breaks the box. It could have been designed so that was not the case, but they didn't want to play nice. Why have something that plugs into a slot connector, but can't be removed? Insanity. In my mind, that makes it not removable. Is your heart removable? Sure it is. So do you believe you have a removable heart? Same thing. Remove it, and what is left behind is non functioning. But you can still call it removable if you want to.

I have a Sony SXRD that went through 4 8300 HD's because of problems with the hdmi. I also had the same trouble with my old sony 34" XBR. With the HDC's I have not had this problem.

Cable Card Stunk.

The HDC not only runs quieter but it also runs alot cooler.

I think the software is better then the old ver. except the res. of menu.

Also I believe there were some hardware upgrades with this new model.

All that matters to me is that it made a positive difference.

I'm sure there will be some issues but tell me of one "box" that did not have any during the 1st release.

I would advise anyone to go the Scientific Atlanta's web page for info.

Just my 2cts.

The Tampa Bay area HDC boxes come with a sticker over the cable card and if removed will cause its "security" feature to print void and you will be billed $500 for removing the sticker. It does have its share of problems...but it was just upgraded on Sunday night and the A button menu now works, still working on the ipoll....I really hope they are coming out with new graphics soon, I was expecting the TWC Navigator Software with the box, but it comes with what I have been told is a temporary fixed compatible from other boxes until they work out problems with the back end and boxes...something that will stretch to 16:9 in hi-def and look better than something out of the 90s would be great for this area. The HDMI is so much better on this box than the old HD boxes. With this being the 12th largest TV market now with 50% of its homes having an HDTV...why not upgrade these boxes to something worth looking at.

I'm certain they designed the box intentionally so that removing the card breaks the box. It could have been designed so that was not the case, but they didn't want to play nice. Why have something that plugs into a slot connector, but can't be removed? Insanity. In my mind, that makes it not removable. Is your heart removable? Sure it is. So do you believe you have a removable heart? Same thing. Remove it, and what is left behind is non functioning. But you can still call it removable if you want to.

Why would you want to remove it? First off the box is not yours its BHN it belongs to them, so they do not want you messing with their property. Second off, it doesn't "break" the box per say it just deprograms the card from the box thus requiring it to be reprogrammed, Its because the card and the box become "paired" together just like a cable card would with your tv.

What the hell does it have to do with playing nice? Them not wanting you to mess with THEIR equipment. Its their property not yours.

Some people just seem to want to complain about stuff just to complain.

steven, correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought one of the points of the nex box........it was suppose to cut down on cable tv theft. i thought i had read that somewhere.

steven, *I* wouldn't want to remove it; but that's not the point.

The point is, the law says make it removable. Now I know you don't like the law, so is it OK to disobey it? Actually, I guess after all it =is= technically removable--even though before you said it broke the box. Now you say it doesn't. But it costs you $500 if you do, plus screwed down, plus sticky sealed. A $500 charge to reprogram the card. Yeah, that's reasonable.

The government wants it removable so you can take it out, put it in your own STB, and receive the cable channels. It is that simple. Customer choice of box.

So the bottom line is that the cable companies have found ways to circumvent the intent of the rule, viz., make it technically removable, but so difficult and expensive to so so that no one will.

steven, correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought one of the points of the nex box........it was suppose to cut down on cable tv theft. i thought i had read that somewhere.

The point of the new box is the FCC is forcing the cable companies to issue them. Why That i do not understand. And I would think it would be easier to steal boxes now with the removeable security because its no longer built into the box but just a card,

steven, *I* wouldn't want to remove it; but that's not the point.

The point is, the law says make it removable. Now I know you don't like the law, so is it OK to disobey it? Actually, I guess after all it =is= technically removable--even though before you said it broke the box. Now you say it doesn't. But it costs you $500 if you do, plus screwed down, plus sticky sealed. A $500 charge to reprogram the card. Yeah, that's reasonable.

The government wants it removable so you can take it out, put it in your own STB, and receive the cable channels. It is that simple. Customer choice of box.

So the bottom line is that the cable companies have found ways to circumvent the intent of the rule, viz., make it technically removable, but so difficult and expensive to so so that no one will.

That is where you are wrong. If you want your own STD box, the cable company will give you a card for it. They want take it out of a box and put it in your box. It doesnt work like that. THe card has to be assigned and programmed to the box it is being put in. Just like with a TV that is cable card ready. THe card gets programmed to the TV. The government wants removeable security enabled systems, which BHN techniclly already had before the law requireing them to buy new boxs. THe boxes are not the advantage the customers the cable cards are. The cards are the remoable security, why The cable companies are forced to make all their boxes like that I dont understand, I understand the point of the law is to make it so you can buy your own box. But what does that have to do with BHN issueing CableCard Boxes? They are no benefit to the customer what so ever, unless of course BHN starts to sell the boxes.

So what rule the cable companies are circumvented I have no idea. and what I meant by "break" is that it want work anymore without being repogrammed, I didnt mean it would blow up and fry the circuts sorry if you took it as such.

The law requires the cable companies to have removeable security. It is removeable. It doesnt say they have to let customers remove it, on equipment BHN owns, only on equipment the customer purchases or owns.

and as far as the 500$ go, its simple, dont break something that is not yours or you will pay for it.

The cable companies CHOSE to marry the card to the box to make the process more difficult. It did not have to be that way.

So where is the programming of the card done when a card is going into a customer's TV? Or into a customer's own STB? They could have built the system so that the card could be removed from one device, inserted into another and reprogrammed for the new box just as it is done now. Again I assert, the cable companies are not doing it that way in order to make things as difficult as possible--because they don't like losing the control (and $$) that the current "you get everything from us" approach gives them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)