PTAT and OTA

GreeneDish

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Central VA
OK, I might be jumping the gun asking this before the actual release but here goes:
Since my locals are not offered by Dish in HD, I can't use PTAT.
When OTA support is offered, I will be getting the locals HD that way.
At that time would PTAT work based on the OTA channels instead of the Dish supplies ones?
On another note, is there any way to find out if Dish is considering adding my locals in HD in the future or is it just a waiting game?

LER, thanks.
Not the answer I was hoping for but certainly the one I was expecting.
Oh well perhaps someday I will get my locals in HD or, once we get OTA support, perhaps I will "move" to my actual zip code and get the Richmond channels in HD.
That would actually be the best of both worlds.

Sounds like what I did by "moving" to Houston years ago. Have all networks in HD, including Cw and Mynetwork tv and Pbs, as well as my local home town main locals in HD. The best of both cities. Can record all 4 main networks using my 722k with ota tuners all in hd. Don't even need PTAT.

I still don't understand why PTAT doesn't work on SD SAT locals. Is it that they are not all on the same transponder, or MPEG2, or what? I would think that any SD locals on an eastern arc MPEG4 transponder could be included in PTAT. I betcha it's another business decision.

I still don't understand why PTAT doesn't work on SD SAT locals. Is it that they are not all on the same transponder, or MPEG2, or what? I would think that any SD locals on an eastern arc MPEG4 transponder could be included in PTAT. I betcha it's another business decision.

It might be marketing. I was looking at the Dish channel chart at some random local areas, including my own and it looks like they try as best they can to keep all the SD locals together on one transponder/satellite and all the HD channels on another. If they wanted to do PTAT with a mix of SD and HD channels it would take up two tuners instead of just one. I guess they could enable it for those areas that are only served by SD locals, but maybe they don't want to confuse people.

If they do happen to expand PTAT to more networks though they will need to shift more channels around because in my area, for example. My PBS HD station is on a completely different satellite and transponder than the rest of my HD locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)