PTAT and SD TVs

ScottA83

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and didn't see anything.

I just ordered my 1H/3J upgrade last night. The Hopper and 2 of the Joeys will be connected to HD TVs (HDMI) and the remaining Joey will be connected to a SD TV via component cables. As the CSR was rolling through all the confirmations he said that the SD TV will not be able to access the PTAT tuner, it would only be able to access recorded shows or another tuner.

Does this ring true with people really using the system? I would have expected the set top box to do all the work and then send all the output to the TV (HD or SD). Is there any functionality only available to HD TVs?

All help and comments appreciated.

// Scott A

There is no PTAT Tuner. It just grabs one available tuner for PTAT and uses that. Your SDTV's will be able to access the PTAT recordings fine.

Hi All,
Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and didn't see anything.

I just ordered my 1H/3J upgrade last night. The Hopper and 2 of the Joeys will be connected to HD TVs (HDMI) and the remaining Joey will be connected to a SD TV via component cables. As the CSR was rolling through all the confirmations he said that the SD TV will not be able to access the PTAT tuner, it would only be able to access recorded shows or another tuner.

Does this ring true with people really using the system? I would have expected the set top box to do all the work and then send all the output to the TV (HD or SD). Is there any functionality only available to HD TVs?

All help and comments appreciated.

The "SD" joey will not be crippled other than being connected to an SD tv. It will have access to anything an HD connected Joey would. I wonder if they were trying to get across you will only have two tuners + PTAT so the third joey will have to watch recorded content or share a tuner.

You know your viewing habits, but if you will likely have three or more simultaneous TVs running, I'd suggest 2H/2J instead, it will be worth the additional up front cost. If the 3rd & 4th TVs are rarely used, then 1H/3J should be OK.

My set is as follow. I have two hd and four ad tv connect to hopper Joey. The hopper Joey are next to each other. The hopper. Is connect to tv1 with hdmi, and I have video out to an rf modular using channel 16. Joey is connect to tv1 and tv2 with a hdmi splitter. And I have Video out connect to a rf modular using channel 22. All tv have a cable connect for OTA and channe 16 and 22. The remote work at all tv. So I have a choice what to watch on the other tv or I can mirror all the tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts