PTAT Bug? Skip forward, past the end of show, lets you view deleted ptats?

TG2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Viginia
So I have PTAT enabled, deleted all the other CBS shows for that friday night, the only show left on DVR was CSI.

I watched the CSI episode, and near the end knew after the last commercial break, all that would be left is the next week coming attractions", knowing I can live without knowing the next week's CSI plot line, I start to hit skip ... got it 6 or 7 minutes forward, and first my thought was.. I only have it set for 1 minute before, and 2 minutes after .. so "two minutes" should equal 8 presses.

It skipped forward about 7 mins, and continued playing from there. I had expected to see the playback halt and ask me if I wanted to delete or go back to dvr ... but that did not come up, it just simply kept playing .. but for content that should have been deleted!!

Anyone else seen this?

Thx!

Reactions: AZ.
If it recorded tonight, then you will still see the shows. After autohop enables the next morning, it should come up asking to start over or DVr. That's normal.

Sorry.. Should have mentioned.. this was from Friday *last*week :)

And I've actually turned off PTAT on this hopper, turned on PTAT on the one upstairs, I had erased all the other content except this 1 show last sunday.

So I was watching it this evening, and the rest is like I have above... got to the point where after the commercial break, they would come back just to show what would happen on the next show.. I hit skip to go about 6 or 7 minutes worth and it preceeded into the next hour of PTAT for CBS. and continued into the next hour etc etc

If this is by design, then it means Dish is playing wonky with the content from any given night that PTAT is on.

eg: 8 to 9, 9 to 10, and 10 to 11 ... three hours recorded under PTAT .. delete the 9 to 10 & 10 to 11 hours and they apparently stay there like old DOS delete commands did.. scrubbed the FAT but left the data! :)

Ptat records the primetime lineup is a single file per network so until the PTAT days to save have passed the entire file is there.
When you manually delete a show from the Ptat folder all you are really doing is deleting the icon for the show, the show is still on the HD.

I too have noticed that the CBS block is not partitioned, though the others are.

Ptat records the primetime lineup is a single file per network so until the PTAT days to save have passed the entire file is there.
When you manually delete a show from the Ptat folder all you are really doing is deleting the icon for the show, the show is still on the HD.
LOL sure sounds like abuse of FAT (File Allocation Table) to me .. So, would the bug be, that I got access to the full block of time? like it skipped an internal marker that said to end here? or what? And is it re-producable for a proper bug report?

Talk about making something out of nothing.
Is it as bad as the warning microsoft gives out with its Java Use EULA in non-fault tolerant environments? No ....
Skip down to "Java Support" ... if you've never read this, its funny and telling all at the same time. A eula with this "java not fault tolerant" warning, started appearing in packs of Windows 98se.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc976720.aspx

(as bad as java?... No...) But (@jerryez) is it still a bug, and where a bug exists more will pervade? Yes.

There are even functions created out of the unintentional bugs in some software. What if its a memory glitch? The same fix for it, might fix something else that allows the unit to be better all around. At the very least, it deserves to be identified, classified, quantified, and assessed for repair and resolution of issues (itself and others).

Still think you are stretching. I'd rather them find and fix other more important bugs first. This isn't even annoying. It's actually beneficial to those that may have accidentally deleted something they cannot get back.

It isn't a bug. As stated earlier, when you delete a PTAT program, you are only deleting the icon and not the file containing the program. If you do a search for the deleted program name, it will appear and you should be able to play it.

The bug would be that I somehow skipped over the marker to "end here" for the show I had been watching.

When you want to stop watching a recorded program, press the STOP button.

PTAT records a continuous 3 hour or longer stream during prime time from the 4 major locals in your area. When you press a PTAT program icon, it takes you to the starting point for that program in that stream. If you choose to auto hop, it has an end point also, but you jumped right past it. If you don't auto hop, then it is just like watching that channel live--it will continue playing programs from that channel until the end of file. The advantage of watching a PTAT recording is that you can auto hop, jump forward, jump back, fast forward, or fast back to anywhere you want to in that continuous stream. After 8 days that PTAT stream will be deleted.

Last edited:
Or even hit live tv on the remote. Or DVr. Or power. Or recall. 100 buttons you can choose from. Some of us appreciate these "bugs". Especially those with wives when accidents happen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)